Could Boardwalk Empire turn in to the G.O.A.T.

It has gotten progressively better with each season. The era it is set in has been an obsession of Americans for decades. The cast is amazing. And they keep adding layers as the show goes without losing focus on the core characters. I am thinking it could topple The Sopranos or Breaking Bad depending on what camp you are in. What do you opinionated bastards think? Phone Post 3.0

No chance IMO.

Why? What makes the other shows so far superior that Boardwalk has no hope of surpassing them? I am a huge Sopranos fan but Boardwalk is really growing on me. I guess it could just come down to preference. Phone Post 3.0

If it was going to we would have known by season 2 or 3. It's getting STUPID good lately. But GOAT? No. Not even.

The Wire & Breaking Bad

Then everything else.

Hell Game of Thrones is better

Nucky - 

Defintly up there 

of course you think so lol

NeoSpartan - Hell Game of Thrones is better

wait until they hit book 4, it won't be anymore.

shaqitup -

Book 4 and 5 happen simultaneously so the seasons will be mashed together. Which means it will be fucking awesome.

And Breaking Bad was not the GOAT at season 3 (and isnt the goat regardless) so who knows. Phone Post

bispingpokedmybrowneye - 
shaqitup -

Book 4 and 5 happen simultaneously so the seasons will be mashed together. Which means it will be fucking awesome.

And Breaking Bad was not the GOAT at season 3 (and isnt the goat regardless) so who knows. Phone Post

ding ding ding.

Breaking bad was the GOAT after season 4.

same with dexter, if it ended at season 4 it would have been epic.

GOT is extremely well done, they are following the books very closely and the cast is amazing. But the fact that it is based in fantasy takes it off the GOAT list for me. I like that Boardwalk is based on characters that actually existed and the writers are somewhat limited by that. I know it's not historically accurate but it is based in reality. The Wire was amazing as well but the whole issue with the area designated for legal illegal activity kind of fucked that one up for me as far as being the best. Phone Post 3.0

Boardwalk Empire is fantastic. I think Deadwood was much better. In the case of both shows I'd imagine the dialogue and some of the inferences to be too complex and sophisicated for some audiences. I think the more education you have, the more you enjoy it.

Yeah but Deadwood was canceled. And they never even gave us the movie that talked about. It was great and Al was one of the better anti-Heroes in the history of television. Phone Post 3.0

Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Sopranos and the Wire were a lot more original.

UGCTT_AsimpleFan - GOT is extremely well done, they are following the books very closely and the cast is amazing. But the fact that it is based in fantasy takes it off the GOAT list for me. I like that Boardwalk is based on characters that actually existed and the writers are somewhat limited by that. I know it's not historically accurate but it is based in reality. The Wire was amazing as well but the whole issue with the area designated for legal illegal activity kind of fucked that one up for me as far as being the best. Phone Post 3.0

you realize that really happened right?

No, it is pretty good but not even close to GOAT status.

NeoSpartan -
UGCTT_AsimpleFan - GOT is extremely well done, they are following the books very closely and the cast is amazing. But the fact that it is based in fantasy takes it off the GOAT list for me. I like that Boardwalk is based on characters that actually existed and the writers are somewhat limited by that. I know it's not historically accurate but it is based in reality. The Wire was amazing as well but the whole issue with the area designated for legal illegal activity kind of fucked that one up for me as far as being the best. Phone Post 3.0

I did not. I will research it though. Phone Post 3.0

Seriously? Buscemi can do so much better.

UGCTT_AsimpleFan - 
NeoSpartan -

I did not. I will research it though. Phone Post 3.0

I lied but for the the last 6min the wire was SO much better right? lol

The title refers to the Dutch city with liberal drug laws; Officers Thomas "Herc" Hauk and Anthony Colicchio use the city's name as an example to the drug dealers. This subplot was introduced to explore the potential positive effects of de facto "legalization" of the illegal drug trade, and incidentally prostitution, within the limited boundaries of a few uninhabited city blocks. The posited benefits, as in Amsterdam and other European cities, were reduced street crime, city-wide, and increased outreach of health and social services to at-risk populations.[citation needed] The name "Hamsterdam" comes from the drug dealers mishearing Herc when he refers to Amsterdam.

Though...

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/04/crime-story-of-the-day-real-life-hamsterdam-discovered-in-brooklyn.html

To show the Wire's influence

http://scholarlycommons.law.wlu.edu/wlulr/vol69/iss2/11/

Abstract
The Wire is the greatest television series of all-time. Not only that, it is the most important. One of the most memorable story arcs from The Wire’s five seasons is the rise and fall of Hamsterdam—a quasi-legalized drug zone in West Baltimore. Stories are powerful teaching tools because they marry information and context. By seeing how the application of law affects characters we know and care about, we become more attune to the potential effects of legal decisions in the real world. The story of Hamsterdam—which is essentially an attempt to transform a black market into a fringe market—presents just such an opportunity. When considering the various dimensions of the fringe economy, life in Hamsterdam imparts three critical insights: (1) Markets arise wherever there exists market demand. Drug dealers exist because sufficient numbers of people desire to use drugs. When one drug dealer in The Wire is taken off the streets through incarceration or death, another drug dealer readily takes his place. Similarly, the fringe economy exists because enough people perceive a need for the services it offers. And where there is demand, there is supply. The lasting lesson is that the fringe economy is going to exist whether we like it or not. (2) Legalization and regulation, not prohibition, represent the best method for controlling the negative externalities of fringe markets. A key aspect of the Hamsterdam covenant between the police and the drug dealers centers on its mutuality of promises. The police promise immunity for all dealing within Hamsterdam’s confines; the dealers agree not to deal anywhere else. In essence, the dealers consent to submit to regulation in exchange for legalization. Prohibition, conversely, precludes this type of agreement because it drives drug dealers and others who trade in outlawed goods into the shadows away from law’s light. Black markets inevitably fill the void created by these outright legal bans, transforming a regulatory problem into a law enforcement problem. A rise in violence necessarily follows, as the suppliers of black market goods become responsible for enforcing their own norms in law’s absence. The lesson for policymakers is that regulating a fringe economy can often induce better behavior from questionable economic actors than the alternative of policing an underground economy. (3) Mustering the political will to provide legal sanction to the fringe economy is a difficult, if not impossible, task. Hamsterdam fails because Baltimore’s politicians fear that embracing its success will lead to electoral defeat. Regulation is a tool of nuance; prohibition is a blunt instrument. Even though the former promotes the greater good, voters better understand the latter. The Wire teaches that this reality presents a structural impediment to genuine reform. In a political world where courage is in short supply, the possibility of real change is illusory. The lesson is that innovative thinking in handling the problems created by the fringe and underground economies will likely meet significant resistance at the point of implementation. Good ideas will remain untested, and long-term problems will continue unaddressed.

I'm 7 episodes into Boardwalk....

If it is, it's definitely not right now. Phone Post 3.0

my favorite storyline is the rise of lucky.

i like this season compared to last.