Could Matt Hughes beat Rickson on the ground?

I know this is heresy and a borderline banable slander to some, but could a prime Matt Hughes beat a prime Rickson on the ground in MMA?

If they fought Rickson is probably going to be on his back. BJ sort of worked Matt and almost tapped him, but he did rock him standing. Hallman tapped Hughes quickly, twice, but I don’t think he would have beaten prime Hughes.

Rickson did struggle against Shultz who had zero sub knowledge and he wasn’t punching. Punching does make you vulnerable to loss of control though.

I guess it does come down to rules. Let’s say both Pride and UFC rules.

• Rickson by armbar 1 minute
  • Hughes by ground and pound decision
  • Hughes by Royce beatdown

0 voters

3 Likes

It really shouldn’t be.

Who the fuck is Rickson anyway?

He’s like some ghost of something that never was. Champion of closet BJJ, beach fights before cameras were invented, and MMA tournaments against one-eyed men half his size.

Nobody knows what Rickson really was outside of BJJ. He chose not to prove it which is his prerogative. He’s been living off his own coattails for decades.

800-0!

16 Likes

I’ve spoken to people online that have gone to his seminars and he is a master technician. So was Ron van Browning… That doesn’t mean they can win every fight they are in.

8 Likes

There is no doubt he is a BJJ legend.

That does not mean he needs to be forever viewed as an all time great of greats fighter in MMA circles.

6 Likes

What about Matt Fury or Tony Ceccine? Could Rickson beat them? How would BJJ do against catch wrestling?

What is this a thread stuck in a ‘98 time warp?

4 Likes

Gotta go with Hughes. His grappling became extremely good. That plus strikes on the ground probably makes a tough go for Rickson.

6 Likes

Hell, Royce was doing alright until it went to the ground. Then he was just overwhelmed by Matt’s pressuring ground game, if I remember correctly.

5 Likes

any of you motherfuckers think prime Matt fucken Hughes was smart enough to stay safe against Rickson? Rickson would tangle him up, brutally punish him and finish with a choke or effortless armbar from mount

3 Likes

I’ve seen nothing to suggest that Rickson could oustrike Hughes or take him down. I’d bet the house on Matt.

11 Likes

Yeah there’s be a part of me pulling for Rickson, but I’d put the money down on Matt.

2 Likes

Hughes would be strong in the beginning then all Rickson

2 Likes

This. I’ll take the proven, multi-time world champion that has proved he can walk the walk over and over again, on film and against the best in the world, versus the BJJ hermit that had few fights against the B-team (prowrestlers, small Japanese men).

Hughes all day long.

11 Likes

You don’t remember correctly. His standup was shite as usual, was taken down easily, and casually pummeled. I think Matt even felt guilty about it, and that is a remorseless motherfucker.

9 Likes

Lol yeah but he was keeping Hughes at bay with that little front snap kick. But once Hughes got him down it was pretty dominant quickly.

Rickson via anything he wanted

2 Likes

Unless I’m remembering wrong Hughes ducked him under like it was a collegiate wrestling match because he had zero fear of Royce’s striking or submission ability and did so once he got bored of Royce larping as a karate guy

5 Likes
Rickson is a bjj legend no doubt but in mma he was barely average
2 Likes

This is the MMA.tv equivalent of “it insists upon itself”. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Comparing Rickson to Matt is an insult to Matt and all the fighters who actually tested themselves. He’s a gym legend, nothing more. The Gracies were great at BJJ but nothing special once everyone else started training it.

5 Likes

Hughes easily. Rickson being this unstoppable man is a bedtime story myth.

4 Likes