Could phish have been big without hippie

Image and followers?  Clearly they just took on the Dead fans and young fans who wanted to experience that lifestyle and concert production

if they were just four regular non hippie guys from Ohio who made music,  would anyone know who they are now?  I despise that whole pot smoking jam band culture even though I grew up on the Dead.  That said,  the guys are really talented.   

Always liked this one 

Weird question. That's like asking Would Slayer have been big without metalheads?

The answer is no, obviously.

StankieEdgar - Weird question. That's like asking Would Slayer have been big without metalheads?

Not really.   Would their music be enough to make them big without being the next Dead.  And yes I know they're different and a wide range of influences 

No, but hippies will always be a big market. Much like yuppies listening to hip hop make the biggest economic hit.

Girly -
StankieEdgar - Weird question. That's like asking Would Slayer have been big without metalheads?

Not really.   Would their music be enough to make them big without being the next Dead.  And yes I know they're different and a wide range of influences 

You're basically asking if they would've been popular without their fans.

This

StankieEdgar -
Girly -

You're basically asking if they would've been popular without their fans.

Yeah I'm trying to word it right.