Could Tyson Fury beat any UFC HW in the cage?

It depends on who he is fighting. Not everyone in the UFC is a "mixed martial artist" a lot of guys only box, kickbox, or grapple, he'd beat anyone who chooses to stand with him. 

I can see guys who have similar s.t.y.l.e to Derrick Lewis becoming wrestlers if matched up against him.

1 Like
GladiatorGannon -
0hi0direct - 

He'd probably tool ngannou or someone w weak ass ground game. 

Hes silly hard to deal with stand up with his size. Unless someone eats those legs up which I don't see Francis doing 

Even guys with “weak” groundgames at the UFC level will look like Royce Gracie against guys with no groundgames.

Of course but ngannou has to initiate it, do you see him doing that?

ClydeErwinBarret -
Gennady Goblin - 

I feel like people who ask these questions have never watched boxing. 

Boxers are good at the sport of boxing, which is not simply punching hard and fast with good technique. There are aspects of boxing that are ingrained in boxers that would lead to disaster in an MMA fight. For example, clinching is a huge part of boxing. Large portions of fights split their time between staying at range, or being engaged in a clinch. The amount of boxers who actively pursue up close phonebooth fighting without reaching for a clinch is very small, and getting smaller year by year. When you've spent your entire life being taught that you can latch onto an opponent and grip them tight, and it will result in a referee separating the fighters....that's a death sentence in MMA. 1 clinch, the boxer is down, the fight is over. 

Any boxer has a puncher's chance. Against the right opponent, AKA an incomplete or cocky MMA fighter, certain boxers would have an excellent chance to score a nice KO. If we're talking about what's going to happen 99 times out of 100? 1 clinch and it's done.

Oh yeah, like when Tim Sylvia was flatlined by a 48 year old Ray Mercer.

OP’s question was asking if there’s anyone in the roster he could beat - and I’m sure there is. the HW division is rarely stacked. Like who is Ciryl Gane? With 6 pro fights at 30 and is ranked 13. I’d put money on Fury.

That Mercer vs Sylvia is a terrible example of a “boxer doing well in mma” did Sylvia try to take him down once? 

ClydeErwinBarret -
Gennady Goblin - 

Boxers are good at the sport of boxing, which is not simply punching hard and fast with good technique. There are aspects of boxing that are ingrained in boxers that would lead to disaster in an MMA fight. For example, clinching is a huge part of boxing. Large portions of fights split their time between staying at range, or being engaged in a clinch. The amount of boxers who actively pursue up close phonebooth fighting without reaching for a clinch is very small, and getting smaller year by year. When you've spent your entire life being taught that you can latch onto an opponent and grip them tight, and it will result in a referee separating the fighters....that's a death sentence in MMA. 1 clinch, the boxer is down, the fight is over. 

Any boxer has a puncher's chance. Against the right opponent, AKA an incomplete or cocky MMA fighter, certain boxers would have an excellent chance to score a nice KO. If we're talking about what's going to happen 99 times out of 100? 1 clinch and it's done.

OP’s question was asking if there’s anyone in the roster he could beat - and I’m sure there is. the HW division is rarely stacked. Like who is Ciryl Gane? With 6 pro fights at 30 and is ranked 13. I’d put money on Fury.

Would you pick him over JDS? 

Acidic -

People forget Tyson without those giant gloves is going to be trash even In MMA Stand up.they rely heavily on giant ass gloves to defend and land punches 

Wow. You're dumb

1 Like
Joshinho -
ClydeErwinBarret -
Gennady Goblin - 

That Mercer vs Sylvia is a terrible example of a “boxer doing well in mma” did Sylvia try to take him down once? 

They also had an agreement not to kick before the fight, a super fat and unmotivated downward spiral Sylvia threw a lazy nothing kick and Mercer landed a bomb. Mercer also shot a takedown while Sylvia was on the way down too, not typical for a “boxer”

He said he would need years to learn the ground game. I imagine he would only beat guys who just box 

Lewis

Even forgetting about the ground game, if Tyson takes one keg kick, dude is going start cracking. For boxers that are not used to being kicked in the leg at all by a professional, it’s a whole new world of pain.

Ryann Von Doom -

Lewis

Yes. I could see that happening.

It's absolutely possible. The HW division has a lot of guys who have "let's start on our knees" level takedowns and rely very heavily on strikes. They'd still all be massive favorites, but a Sylvia/Mercer situation is far more likely when the MMA fighter isn't a wrestler at all. 

He'd fair better than James Toneys fat ass did, but it'd ultimately end with him on the ground getting subbed.

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let’s be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he’d get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

That being said. Any good wrestler/grappler in the UFC beats him 99/100 times. 

Joshinho - 
GladiatorGannon -
0hi0direct - 

He'd probably tool ngannou or someone w weak ass ground game. 

Hes silly hard to deal with stand up with his size. Unless someone eats those legs up which I don't see Francis doing 

Even guys with “weak” groundgames at the UFC level will look like Royce Gracie against guys with no groundgames.

Of course but ngannou has to initiate it, do you see him doing that?

Absolutely. He and his coaching staff would know they’re facing a superior striker and would spend the whole camp training the proven game plan for such. Even if he wanted to win by knockout, his camp would be advising to take Fury down and soften him up first a la one of the old GIA videos.

The Lion King - 

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let's be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he'd get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

That being said. Any good wrestler/grappler in the UFC beats him 99/100 times. 

So in a few months he’s automatically stuffing guys that have been doing it for years and years? Guys who are going to spend the same length of training camp working their takedowns?

3 Likes
ClydeErwinBarret -
Gennady Goblin - 

Goblin makes a great point here. Even if the boxer trained specifically not to initiate a clinch, I have to wonder how easily a lifetime of doing so would kick in. 

Clyde, you make no point in the Ray Mercer example. Mercer knocked him out in the first exchange. This would always be a possibility with a professional boxer vs. mma. Most times, it’s not going to happen like that. Once a clinch is initiated, unless the mma guy really screws it up, the fight should be over. 

People don’t get how boxers generate power and speed. With their hips,legs and feet turning over / into punches. These techniques also leave open to getting taken down by a 6th grader. This is why stand up is totally different in mma and boxers always say mma fighters technique sucks. Until they try it.. 

1 Like

Tyson is a smart guy when it comes to fighting. He'd do just fine given the right match-up. Being smart doesn't equate to necessary skill, but if he took a UFC fight, he could get with a camp to help him develop avoid being pushed into the cage and how to use strategies to reduce the risk of being taken down.

There's a LOT of heavyweights with zero takedown ability, even in the UFC. 

He smashes all of those guys.

Gennady Goblin -

Great post. I will also add the hip level bob and weave as defence.  That's just begging for a floating knee.