Could you beat up Royce Gracie of UFC 1?

Im pretty sure it was a joke Ronald McKKM

"Do you think that a "competent amature" can beat Royce Gracie of old?"

No way, Royce was a legit BJJ black belt with plenty of experience of using his BJJ with strikes involved. Most competent amateurs have what, a few years "MMA" training? Just because Matt Hughes made him look bad doesnt mean shit when comparing him to amateur fighters.

How many guys on here have got the skill of Yoshida, an olympic Judo medalist, who Royce beat pretty comprehensively in their second fight if not for the stipulation it had to be draw? I doubt Royce was much if at all better than his early UFC incarnation at that point either.

I rolled with Royce numerous times before and after his first Sakuraba fight. He beat me easily and one time with his hands tucked in his belt. :-)

Put it like this... Can a competent Amatuer go 6 x 10 minute rounds with a prime sakuraba?

My wrestling will be able to stuffed all his takedown attempts. But pretty sure eventually it will hit the ground and he would sub me in 1 sec.

If by "beat up" Royce Gracie you mean jump him outside of a bar with 8-10 of my friends packing sawed off pool cues and chains with padlocks at the end of them, then hell yeah.

If by "beat up" you mean lock me in a cage with him unarmed..........no

jodienda - Royce would slaughter 99.999999% of ye amateur keyboard warrior Sherdog refugees.

The other .000001 might winby TKO if he slipped on your piss patch and knocked himself out.

This is the TRUTH.  It was yesterday, it is today, and it still will be tomorrow. 

Musashi - Some of you really have no clue at all.

yep.

It's a fact that MOST of them have no clue at all....

Let's look at it this way.....Look at the young and in his prime Ken Shamrock, a Y and IHP Patrick Smith, Kimo and Dan Severn......

I'd bet there's not even a single one of you that would even try either of these guys, and Royce BEAT these guys!

And you guys say "You could beat the young Royce"??????

Good Lord.....

Sometimes, I find it hard to believe I even come into this place.....

no way in hell. no amateur has a chance in hell

skooter - It's a fact that MOST of them have no clue at all....

Let's look at it this way.....Look at the young and in his prime Ken Shamrock, a Y and IHP Patrick Smith, Kimo and Dan Severn......

I'd bet there's not even a single one of you that would even try either of these guys, and Royce BEAT these guys!

And you guys say "You could beat the young Royce"??????

Good Lord.....

Sometimes, I find it hard to believe I even come into this place.....

Yeah,but it could be argued that Kimo,Severn,Smith and Ken would do much better against Royce if they knew then what they know now.

The fact that he beat those guys is not relevant because except for Ken,none of them had a clue about submissions or how to stop them.

Now those guys do and so do many of us.

UFC 1 Royce wasnt the world beater many of you are making him out to be.

Training for 6 weeks at virtually ANY MMA school today will give you more jujitsu experience than ANY fighter Royce beat back then had.

You people are full of shit. The keyboard warriors will triumph on this one, GTFO here.

for sure there are plenty of guys here (not me) whos bjj today is better than royces was in 1993. shit even takada avoided his subs. at least 1 well known black belt has called roycees 1993 bjj "blue belt level"

a decent wrestler can outstrike him and avoid his takedowns.

hes a legend though, for sure.

Ranier-ok, so you can stuff his takedowns for the first minute or so...then what??do you have the striking to be able to really hurt him standing??Royce was very good at not taking damage on the feet..he would get ahold of you somehow some way..then its over even if you trained at a top mma school for 6 weeks...lofl...

being a bjj blue belt, i can confidently say i would win vs Royce

all i have to do is get it to the ground and then he is in my world!

You pussies wouldn't be able to, but most of the OG would easily tool him

Lot of self-deluded people on this thread - Royce could take out every one on this thread who thinks they could beat him, and he could beat them one after the other with 5 minutes rest in between.

If his BJJ is 'blue-belt level' as one noted idiot famously said, how come I've seen him tooling purples, browns and blacks at seminars, and doing it with ease while cracking jokes?

The gap between pros and joes is much wider than some folks seem to think.

Do you really believe Royce's BJJ is/was Blue Belt Level back then, just because another Legit BB said so?.. That was just Carlson's guys talking shit after Royce got choked by Wallid.. Yes Royce made a mistake and turned into the clock choke, but that was Wallid's best move, and he was one of the top BJJ in the world at that time. No shame in that.. Good guys get submitted all the time, we all know that?! It's like saying Shaolin's Jiu Jitsu level Blue Belt Level since Garcia took his back and choked him out cold in 15 seconds, it's nonsense.. I've rolled with some my share of bad-ass black belts, including Royce, and he walked thru me like a was nothing, more so than others. There's nothing Blue about Royces BJJ Level.

elgringo - being a bjj blue belt, i can confidently say i would win vs Royce

all i have to do is get it to the ground and then he is in my world!

LOL!!!!

Lol@ Royce Gracie having anything less than Black Belt BJJ. Get outta' here with that crap. Royce may be a lot of things, but mothafuck he's for sure a black belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu.