Could you fight off ~300lb black bear @ campsite?

Was sitting around the fire last weekend camping and caught three sets of glowing green eyes with my headlamp.

Three bears. 

I scare away the first two, and my buddy (drunk) grabs the ax and starts yelling and posturing at the third one (you're actually supposed to make noise and make yourself dominant in most cases against black bear, so long as you're not in between cubs or a food source they're defending).

I'm not saying could you KO the bear with a GSP spinning back kick.  I'm saying, if you didn't have bear spray or some other foreign object, could you ward off a black bear (bare handed) at your campsite?

I would actually venture to say that a lot of you could.

Number one boolshiit

I actually do have video of him doing it.  Again, it's not nearly as exciting as it probably sounds.  We're not talking Revenant or any shit like that here. 

Yes, a black bear isn’t hard to fight off, especially near a camp site. They know they can find easier food close by at the sign of any fight

MrRichardWiggler -

Yes, a black bear isn’t hard to fight off, especially near a camp site. They know they can find easier food close by at the sign of any fight

Let's just say, though, that the bear wants to get some.  Obviously, it has claws and teeth, but you have the mental advantage in knowing tactics. 

If you had to go hand to paw with it, would something like close-in elbows and Jon Jones eyepokes be enough, or would that even phase?  Again, this bear wasn't by any means huge.  Maybe not even 300lbs.

If no weapons are available to me, I'm thinking elbows, eye poking, and maybe knees up the middle to the body. 

I dunno. 

WaltJ -
MrRichardWiggler -

Let's just say, though, that the bear wants to get some.  Obviously, it has claws and teeth, but you have the mental advantage in knowing tactics. 

If you had to go hand to paw with it, would something like close-in elbows and Jon Jones eyepokes be enough, or would that even phase?  Again, this bear wasn't by any means huge.  Maybe not even 300lbs.

If no weapons are available to me, I'm thinking elbows, eye poking, and maybe knees up the middle to the body. 

I dunno. 

Actually, that’s what you are supposed to do when going hand to hand with a bear. You are supposed to attack it’s eyes and nose area. Trying to blind it by sticking your fingers in its eyes. Bears are sensitive in the snout area too. Punching and hammer fisting that area, it eventually runs off if you hurt it.

Pain Headquarters -
WaltJ -
MrRichardWiggler -

I dunno. 

Actually, that’s what you are supposed to do when going hand to hand with a bear. You are supposed to attack it’s eyes and nose area. Trying to blind it by sticking your fingers in its eyes. Bears are sensitive in the snout area too. Punching and hammer fisting that area, it eventually runs off if you hurt it.

Bears are already near blind. If you’re talking about if you can win vs a hypothetical 300 lb  black bear that wants to get some the answer is no fucking way. But if a real world black bear, yes, you can be a big enough pain in the ass for it to leave you. 

1 Like

Black bears generally are quite cowardly by nature and can be scared away as long as they are alone and don't have there cubs with them. But Grizzlies are the exact opposite, so don't go wandering into the woods unless you have a weapon that can that can drop anything that lives there imo.

a black bear would kill you without you knowing

1 Like

Yeah one bite or claw swipe and your fucked

1 Like

If a black bear has gameness and wants problems, you're dead.

1 Like

Fight off? No. Kill? Absolutely. Likely, both of us would die lol.

If a black bear is commiting to killing you, it's probably going to do it. There was a woman killed on a construction site in Alberta a few years ago. It wanted to eat her and it did, despite numerous people hitting it with metal bars, etc. If one forgets its timid nature and goes full bear tard you're most likely fucked.

4 Likes

A few OGers have the ability to fight off a hungry wolf. So a black bear is a piece of cake. 

2 Likes

Anyone who thinks they could do anything hand to hand against a black bear that decided they were its next meal are fucking delusional 

In fact, I’d wager anyone deluded enough to think they could do anything to a 300lb Black Bear. Would actually get their life fucked up by 95% of 300lbs men, let alone a bear. You gotta be deeply insecure and probably fairly meek to try and posture that you could beat up a Black Bear 

10 Likes

Zero chance you’re defeating a black bear in a fight unless you have atleast a big ass knife. 

1 Like
Dreville79 - 

Anyone who thinks they could do anything hand to hand against a black bear that decided they were its next meal are fucking delusional 

In fact, I’d wager anyone deluded enough to think they could do anything to a 300lb Black Bear. Would actually get their life fucked up by 95% of 300lbs men, let alone a bear. You gotta be deeply insecure and probably fairly meek to try and posture that you could beat up a Black Bear 

lol This is awesome.

1 Like
MrRichardWiggler -
Pain Headquarters -
WaltJ -
MrRichardWiggler -

I dunno. 

Bears are already near blind. If you’re talking about if you can win vs a hypothetical 300 lb  black bear that wants to get some the answer is no fucking way. But if a real world black bear, yes, you can be a big enough pain in the ass for it to leave you. 

Look you twat, I said that is what you are supposed to do in that situation. I never said that I would beat a bear one on one in a fight. Do fuckers like you just see what you want to see when you read something? 

I am an Army Special Operations Combat Veteran. Now, I spend my time as a survivalist, and spend a lot of time out in the woods camping in all different types of terrain. Luckily, I’ve never run into a situation where I’ve had to defend my life against any type of bear. However, I do know what one is supposed to do in a situation like this.

Bear don’t start none, won’t be none.

WaltJ -
MrRichardWiggler -

I dunno. 

Once that Bear decides to actually engage with you, you are fucked.  If the question is can I get a Black Bear to back off. Most likely.  But I would be no physical match for the Bear in a direct confrontation.