Court ruling: people have a right to film cops.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170217/10423836736/appeals-court-says-filming-police-is-protected-first-amendment.shtml

Appeals Court Says Filming The Police Is Protected By The First Amendment

In the Fifth Circuit -- joining the First and Eleventh Circuits -- the First Amendment right to film police has been asserted.

Unfortunately, the issue still remains mostly unsettled, and there's currently nothing in front of the Supreme Court that would set national precedent. Unfortunately, the decision doesn't help Turner with his First Amendment claim, but it will help others going forward.

We conclude that First Amendment principles, controlling authority, and persuasive precedent demonstrate that a First Amendment right to record the police does exist, subject only to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions.

Filming the police contributes to the public’s ability to hold the police accountable, ensure that police officers are not abusing their power, and make informed decisions about police policy.

The only time I do not agree with this is when a mob is surrounding an officer trying to do their job. Nine times out of ten the video taping does not capture the full portrayal of the event. You can have video of an officer who might be in your eyes man handling a suspect but you didn't capture what happened before that. If cops can afford to replace vehicles every few years they surely can afford body cams.

Good, except the cops should have been charged with false arrest or kidnapping.   And robbery.  

angryinch - 

Good, except the cops should have been charged with false arrest or kidnapping.   And robbery.  

Fucking repetitive nonsensical claptrap as usual. angrybitch never fails to disappoint.

Next up. The shrill cry of "I'm not wrong, you suck cop dick", etc.

One trick pony this one.

McSurly - 
angryinch - 

Fucking repetitive nonsensical claptrap as usual. angrybitch never fails to disappoint.

Next up. The shrill cry of "I'm not wrong, you suck cop dick", etc.

One trick pony this one.

Fucking repetitive bullshit complaining about something I say without being able to explain why it's wrong.  No trick pony. 

Jihad To Steal My Goat Huh - No shit, the Supreme Court ruled on this already. Good luck convincing the angry police officer that it's your right though.

Cops know what your rights are.  They just don't care.  They know damn well what the "ID" laws are and they know damn well that no citizen is required to carry any type of ID which must be presented on demand unless they are performing some activity which requires a license or permit.  Walking around on the sidewalk does not require any license or permit.   

They also know damn well that the courts have already settled the matter of filming cops.  

They just don't like those laws so they deliberately violate people's rights, they kidnap them, they steal their phones, then they plead ignorance of the law and are allowed to skate because of qualified immunity.  

Qualified immunity is one of the worse things that has ever happened to citizens of the US.  It gives cops carte blanche to violate every single civil right and get away with it by pleading ignorance.

If ignorance of the law doesn't excuse a regular person from being subject to the penalities of breaking that law, it shouldn't apply to cops either.  If they break the law by violating someone's civil rights, they should be held to the same standard of ignorance is no excuse.  If you arrest someone for filming you, you shouldn't be allowed to claim ignorance and say you thought it was legal to arrest them for that.  

angryinch -
Jihad To Steal My Goat Huh - No shit, the Supreme Court ruled on this already. Good luck convincing the angry police officer that it's your right though.

Cops know what your rights are.  They just don't care.  They know damn well what the "ID" laws are and they know damn well that no citizen is required to carry any type of ID which must be presented on demand unless they are performing some activity which requires a license or permit.  Walking around on the sidewalk does not require any license or permit.   

They also know damn well that the courts have already settled the matter of filming cops.  

They just don't like those laws so they deliberately violate people's rights, they kidnap them, they steal their phones, then they plead ignorance of the law and are allowed to skate because of qualified immunity.  

Qualified immunity is one of the worse things that has ever happened to citizens of the US.  It gives cops carte blanche to violate every single civil right and get away with it by pleading ignorance.

If ignorance of the law doesn't excuse a regular person from being subject to the penalities of breaking that law, it shouldn't apply to cops either.  If they break the law by violating someone's civil rights, they should be held to the same standard of ignorance is no excuse.  If you arrest someone for filming you, you shouldn't be allowed to claim ignorance and say you thought it was legal to arrest them for that.  

Hate on this man all you want. This is a solid post and no one should morally defend cops right to plead ignorance. If anything cops should be held to a higher standard of knowledge, since it's their fucking job.

Good. 

FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
angryinch -
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">&nbsp;</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">Cops know what your rights are. &nbsp;They just don't care. &nbsp;They know damn well what the &quot;ID&quot; laws are and they know damn well that no citizen is required to carry any type of ID which must be presented on demand unless they are performing some activity which requires a license or permit. &nbsp;Walking around on the sidewalk does not require any license or permit. &nbsp;&nbsp;</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">&nbsp;</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">They also know damn well that the courts have already settled the matter of filming cops. &nbsp;</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">They just don't like those laws so they deliberately violate people's rights, they kidnap them, they steal their phones, then they plead ignorance of the law and are allowed to skate because of qualified immunity. &nbsp;</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">Qualified immunity is one of the worse things that has ever happened to citizens of the US. &nbsp;It gives cops carte blanche to violate every single civil right and get away with it by pleading ignorance.</span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">If ignorance of the law doesn't excuse a regular person from being subject to the penalities of breaking that law, it shouldn't apply to cops either. &nbsp;If they break the law by violating someone's civil rights, they should be held to the same standard of ignorance is no excuse. &nbsp;If you arrest someone for filming you, you shouldn't be allowed to claim ignorance and say you thought it was legal to arrest them for that. &nbsp;</span></p>
</blockquote>
<span class="User-311784" id="userPost59567148">Hate on this man all you want. This is a solid post and no one should morally defend cops right to plead ignorance. If anything cops should be held to a higher standard of knowledge, since it's their fucking job.</span></blockquote>

Yep.  You shouldn't be able to violate someone's rights, suspend their freedom, incarcerate them, steal their personal possessions, then say "oops...I didn't know what he was doing was perfectly legal...my bad..."

If I can't plead ignorance for a speeding ticket, which is a minimal violation of the law, they shouldn't be able to plead ignorance for a MAJOR violation of violating someone's constitutional rights. 

If a cop doesn't know the law he's supposed to be enforcing, he should find another line of work.  And when a cop does violate someone's rights, out of ignorance or malice, he should be charged with a crime.  Fuck qualified immunity. 

^^^^^this rhetoric is along the lines of you knowing the entire tax code because you've filed taxes several times. I do agree that cops as a whole need to be held to a higher standard but certain people on this site like to loop all cops together. Not all cops are out to get you angryinch. Much to your dismay this is true unless your the type who continually breaks laws and then likes to blame one of the hundred bullshit excuses on why such as race. How much personal interaction have you ever had with police? Are you one of those people who claim to be followed 24/7 by police? Do you regularly get pulled over for breaking the speed limit?

I'm still baffled that they failed to prosecute Officer Chapman for breaking into Turner's car. They charged him with criminal trespass, and let him off because his feet never left the ground outside the car. Such BS

baj54 - ^^^^^this rhetoric is along the lines of you knowing the entire tax code because you've filed taxes several times. I do agree that cops as a whole need to be held to a higher standard but certain people on this site like to loop all cops together. Not all cops are out to get you angryinch. Much to your dismay this is true unless your the type who continually breaks laws and then likes to blame one of the hundred bullshit excuses on why such as race. How much personal interaction have you ever had with police? Are you one of those people who claim to be followed 24/7 by police? Do you regularly get pulled over for breaking the speed limit?
Nothing in that post what rhetoric about every cop being out to get you. It's clear you just want to hate on angryinch because he can be obnoxious and persistent. Try and stay on topic.

Photography is not a crime.

You have no expectation of privacy in public and any interaction with a public servant is subject to open records request and filming.

https://youtu.be/TpkfCRupZUQ

Jeff gray youtube channel helped me learn a lot about rights and procedures. He is annoying sometimes , but he educates so many cops.

jstkickin - Photography is not a crime.

You have no expectation of privacy in public and any interaction with a public servant is subject to open records request and filming.

Jeff gray youtube channel helped me learn a lot about rights and procedures. He is annoying sometimes , but he educates so many cops.
Channel is called Honor your oath. He films cops, open carry, refuses to give I'd, public records request, refuses dui checkpoints, warns speeders of cops and other.

jstkickin - Photography is not a crime.

Later

baj54 - ^^^^^this rhetoric is along the lines of you knowing the entire tax code because you've filed taxes several times. I do agree that cops as a whole need to be held to a higher standard but certain people on this site like to loop all cops together. Not all cops are out to get you angryinch. Much to your dismay this is true unless your the type who continually breaks laws and then likes to blame one of the hundred bullshit excuses on why such as race. How much personal interaction have you ever had with police? Are you one of those people who claim to be followed 24/7 by police? Do you regularly get pulled over for breaking the speed limit?

Worst analogy ever.  It's more along the lines of an IRS agent who seizes your bank accounts, fines you $50K, garnishes your wages, and then later turns around and says "oops...my bad...I didn't know that by law you didn't have to pay taxes on that money..."

jstkickin - Photography is not a crime.

Jeff Gray is awesome. Check out this guy also. He does the same as Jeff in Texas. Some great confrontations with FBI, US Marshals...etc.

Its always amazing how clueless cops really are about the laws sometimes.

His site is News Now Houston;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39jLNl2UpxDeYVYCToA56A?spfreload=10

angryinch -

I'm not fan of cop mentatlity but every time I see an AI post in a cop thread, what goes through my head is

"A FREE INHABITANT ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLES OF CONFEDERAT- bzzztt AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH please, stop...."

Glovegate - 
angryinch -

I'm not fan of cop mentatlity but every time I see an AI post in a cop thread, what goes through my head is

"A FREE INHABITANT ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLES OF CONFEDERAT- bzzztt AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH please, stop...."

You're welcome to point out what I'm wrong about.

Go ahead, I'll wait. 

The police shitheads in Arlington TX must all be wearing black armbands today. They were one of the groups pushing for this bit on Nazism