"Couture vs. Nog likely for next title shot"

Up With Evil - 
Mark Martin - You mean they shouldn't make decisions based on staying in business?
Of course you have to "push" the guy with the most "heat" in order to attract the "marks".  That's the way pro-wrestling works. 

those "marks" pay the bills, unfortunately.

I'd like to see how Brock would handle Nog's impressive chin and Jiu Jitsu skills, I'd say their striking is both about even and it would make an interesting fight.

I'd much rather see Brock vs Nog than Brock vs Randy II

da Vinci 81 - 
Up With Evil - 
Mark Martin - You mean they shouldn't make decisions based on staying in business?

Of course you have to "push" the guy with the most "heat" in order to attract the "marks".  That's the way pro-wrestling works. 

those "marks" pay the bills, unfortunately.
Hey, you don't need to tell me how pro-wrestling works, brother.

Nothing stops the money train!

1armedScissor -

I'd be pissed off if I was Cain Velasquez. Has a #1 contender fight scheduled with Carwin. It gets scrapped. Carwin gets a shot. Then they give the next shot to the winner of Randy & Nog (both of whom are coming off of losses, yet Cain is undefeated) the next title shot and Cain's present is what? A fight with Roy Nelson? Roy's a bad dude. That's not a present. This is someone sending a message to Cain that they don't want him in the mix.

I bet Cain is pissed, but ultimately this is better for him imo. I think he would have gotten crushed by Carwin. Kongo exposed his standup, and he's not going to do well with a guy like Carwin or Brock who hits extremely hard and also has just as good or better wrestling than him. Kongo was knocking him silly and the only thing that saved him was Kongo's ZERO wrestling. A guy like Carwin or Brock eats him for brunch right now.

Cain needs a little while to build his skills and season himself some more. It'll be better for his career in the long run. There are plenty of instances where a fighter getting a title shot sooner rather than later ended up hurting their career.

LilBrockonmychest -  You know you have a shitty HW division when 2 guys coming off a loss are fighting for #1 title contention. 

Fedor knew what he was doing

The worlds HW division is shallower than a kiddie pool. Who does Strikeforce have for Fedor? Only Overeem who has never beaten top competition at heavyweight, Werdum who is a UFC wash out, and Rogers who is completely unproven. Does Dream have a single opponent for him? Sengoku? Fedor made the right decision to fight at HW.

JimmersonzGlove -  Werdum is hardly a washout. He would've been the highest ranked guy in that division going into that loss. Would Koscheck have been a washout if they cut him after his upset KO loss? Kos is still top 5 in the world.

If Kos made his octagon debut, lost a boring decision, TKO'd a mid level guy, then got KO'd in the first minute by a nobody then yes. This is what happened to Werdum. This isn't to say he is unskilled at all. But he has not given a very consistent performance over the last couple of years.

ajjr0ller - JimmersonzGlove -  Werdum is hardly a washout. He would've been the highest ranked guy in that division going into that loss. Would Koscheck have been a washout if they cut him after his upset KO loss? Kos is still top 5 in the world.

If Kos made his octagon debut, lost a boring decision, TKO'd a mid level guy, then got KO'd in the first minute by a nobody then yes. This is what happened to Werdum. This isn't to say he is unskilled at all. But he has not given a very consistent performance over the last couple of years.
Since 2005 Randy Couture is 3-3, including losses to a light-heavyweight and a loss to a fighter with a mere 3 professional bouts.  All three losses were via KO.  Yet Couture is fighting for a #1 contender slot tomorrow and will be fighting for the title if he manages to win.  So please, let's not pretend that Fedor Emelianenko is missing out on anything by not groveling to enter the Octagon.

Actually I forgot about his early stoppage over Vera.

He's still the Keith Jardine of HW though.

Up With Evil - Since 2005 Randy Couture is 3-3, including losses to a light-heavyweight and a loss to a fighter with a mere 3 professional bouts.  All three losses were via KO.  Yet Couture is fighting for a #1 contender slot tomorrow and will be fighting for the title if he manages to win.  So please, let's not pretend that Fedor Emelianenko is missing out on anything by not groveling to enter the Octagon. 

I do feel that there is slightly better HW competition in the UFC, but if you read my initial post in this thread, you would see that I said the HW division as a WHOLE, worldwide is very weak. Said Fedor made the correct career choice to fight at HW.