Covid is causing Emergency rooms to be flooded!

Do you guys not read the news? This is not normal!! Oh wait, it actually is kinda normal for this time of year. It's fucking amazing how the press is not putting this stuff into context.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/flu-season-still-strong-in-mobile-making-for-extremely-busy-hospitals-worst-still-to-come/article_1c7a9ca0-2b79-11ea-bf46-6bcf5145aeb7.html

3 Likes

Came here to slam down the facts that the hospitals are ALWAYS 100% capacity during influenza season. But apparently we're on the same team. 

VU

5 Likes

Hospitals would go out of business if they weren't at high capacity year round.

Look what happened earlier this year when all those elective surgeries and non COVID appointments were cancelled.

2 Likes
VTCO -

Look what happened earlier this year when all those elective surgeries and non COVID appointments were cancelled.

Damn, shifted gears so fucking hard he smoked the tires.

15 Likes
Bad Monkey -
VTCO -

No fucking way he can drive a stick.

9 Likes
Al Cappucino - 
Bad Monkey -
VTCO -

No fucking way he can drive a stick.

LOL

1 Like

Hospitals run optimally at 85% capacity. They try to be at that level. Emperor Newsom has stated that counties (now regions) cannot de-escalate lockdown levels unless hospitals are below 85%. We're currently at a whopping 87% in Orange County.

Why the fuck would hospitals willingly go into the red? We're now being held ransom by private businesses and in order for us to be free, they have to choose to be less profitable. 

3 Likes

We have had 8months of preparation for surges. I remember a soccer field near Seattle that was converted to trea patients. I’ve heard rumors of hotel floors being converted. It’s a joke that this is an issue a this stage.

3 Likes
DollawayGotFistedByAPillow - 

Came here to slam down the facts that the hospitals are ALWAYS 100% capacity during influenza season. But apparently we're on the same team. 

VU

You guys are crazy. Flu has been cured. Where have you been ? Lol at hospitals running near capacity. Hospitals aren’t trying to make money. They are built to help people. They are filled with wonderful people who only care about helping people. They always have many many extra rooms just in case so people will be safe in case of a devastating pandemic like Covid. Everyone knows if not for Covid hospitals would be mostly empty.

The US has the highest ICU beds per capita of any place on earth.  (statista was my source)  I posted this last spring after seeing the shitshow in Italy.

So that's good news.  We're fine.

Its not a capacity issue, it's a staffing issue.  Hospitals are getting crushed by infected staff that's forced to quarantine and many are just quitting.  The rest of the team has to pick up the slack.  

That's the problem, it's not about beds, it's about staff.

1 Like

If they need room they send people home, if they need bodies 'let's keep you overnight just to be sure'

1 Like
EFM -

Its not a capacity issue, it's a staffing issue.  Hospitals are getting crushed by infected staff that's forced to quarantine and many are just quitting.  The rest of the team has to pick up the slack.  

This is the ONLY mention of staffing in the Times article.

Braciszewski says she’s picked up a few extra shifts so far this month, and that while the work is difficult and overwhelming, it’s also rewarding. “They haven’t gone into mandatory overtime on my floor yet, but nurses are helping out by staying an extra four hours here and there or coming in early,” she says. “The thing about nursing is it’s a sister/brotherhood; we can’t leave each other in distress.”

EFM -

please provide specifics and stats.

Which hosiptals exaclty? What percent of their staffs are currently infected and how many of them recently quit?

1 Like
gtr7816 -

VU

You guys are crazy. Flu has been cured. Where have you been ? Lol at hospitals running near capacity. Hospitals aren’t trying to make money. They are built to help people. They are filled with wonderful people who only care about helping people. They always have many many extra rooms just in case so people will be safe in case of a devastating pandemic like Covid. Everyone knows if not for Covid hospitals would be mostly empty.

Hospitals in the US are most definitely built to make money. And I say that as someone who is the opposite of a pandemic conspiracy theorist.

MattyECB -
gtr7816 -

VU

Hospitals in the US are most definitely built to make money. And I say that as someone who is the opposite of a pandemic conspiracy theorist.

to a fault

1 Like

Oh wow. We’re still doing the covid denial thing?

Adorable.

EFM -

Why would they spend all that time at college to get a degree in the medical field, then just quit because they got sick while working in the medical field? 

Thats like the guys joining the military then whining when they get deployed. 

hermanitor - Oh wow. We're still doing the covid denial thing?

Adorable.

Tell me your experience, I’ll tell you mine.

Not a black and white topic dude, even though you think it is.

Tell me if I'm mistaken, but you have been a big lefty alarmist during this. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Our icus went from 4 covid patients to 8 now, one month later. We have close to 1000 icu beds available to us.

You can't deny covid is real, it's just that you are dead wrong if you are being an alarmist pussy. Scared? You should really, really just stay in mamas basement. I'd suggest a mask and face shield at all times. Just for you though.

2 Likes