Craig Kukuk BJJ A-Z Series

Guys

This is a really old instructional series but it is one that interests me since I have the Renzo Gracie/Kukuk original set from way 15 years back! What can I say I'm 40 and old school. I love the original Gracie material.

I was wondering does anyone here actually own the Kukuk A-Z set (not to be confused with Renzo's)?

I know it doesn't offer a system of fighting (unlike Sperry etc) but that doesn't bother me. I want to know how much time he spends on each of these 600 moves. Is it like a 1 second demonstration or does he actually teach the basics even if in only 1 or 2 sentences.

Does it resemble the renzo/kukuk set in any way?

thanks
G2010

Great review InvisiblePinkUni

A few questions:

1) How much crossover is there between renzo/kukuk set and this kukuk set? Dos he still go over the same submissions found on Renzo Kukuk set on the new one?

2) I've read it primarily no gi. Was there ANY gi submissions on the set?

3) How good is the guard material? Is it taught more like Pedro carvalho guard tape or taught similar to Renzo Kukuk?

I'm pondering groundfighter.com having a Nov sale in a few weeks, however, I am excited about this and may not be able to wait that long!!

Thanks!

G2010

You have mma mail

Thanks InvisiblePinkUni. Your review of the product has been nothing but helpful to me. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

g2010

There are some moves that I haven't seen on any other DVD set.

This really isn't a good set for beginners in my opinion because you simply get overwhelmed with way too many moves to retain. And he goes through each move only one time I think instead of 3 (or at least it seemed that way), so you have to do alot of rewinding to rewatch it (which again isn't ideal for beginners who tend to go through the entire tape once).

Also there are 13 DVDs, not 13 Volumes but 13 DVDs, which takes for ever to get through. He's an okay speaker but not as dynamic or entertaining as Mario Sperry, Demian Maia or Matt Serra, so you can get tired of listening to him if you watch the 13 DVDs one after another. My advice would be to watch one DVD and then watch someone else's DVD before coming back to his next DVD.

Great set. A TON of moves. There is gi, no gi, wrestling, judo throws, etc. all crammed on this set. There are some moves I have never seen anywhere else. A couple that I use and come in real handy. For the price, it is a must have.

The following point from BruceLeeMMAFighting concerns me:"And he goes through each move only one time I think instead of 3 (or at least it seemed that way), so you have to do alot of rewinding to rewatch it "I will be purchasing this on dvd, will I constantly have to navigate the menus to watch moves over, or are the explanations given sufficient enough to pick up all the details in a single view? This can be a frustrating point so it is important..BTW I also find Kukuk a more concise speaker than Sperry and his English is way better.I like the fact that a number of you have stated that this set has some moves not found anywhere else. That must be refreshing. I like sneaky moves, so if this set have some sneaky ones that is a bonus!g2010

Dude, the set costs like $50, stop nitpicking and pick up the set already.

Grappler2010 - The following point from BruceLeeMMAFighting concerns me:"And he goes through each move only one time I think instead of 3 (or at least it seemed that way), so you have to do alot of rewinding to rewatch it "I will be purchasing this on dvd, will I constantly have to navigate the menus to watch moves over, or are the explanations given sufficient enough to pick up all the details in a single view? This can be a frustrating point so it is important..BTW I also find Kukuk a more concise speaker than Sperry and his English is way better.I like the fact that a number of you have stated that this set has some moves not found anywhere else. That must be refreshing. I like sneaky moves, so if this set have some sneaky ones that is a bonus!g2010

I just put one of Kukuk's discs in and he shows the first technique twice and then I skipped to the 5th technique and he only shows it once. So yeah pretty much just like I recalled he explains it once and then moves on.

There is a menu chapter from which you can go to the specific technique. I think the most annoying thing is that at least on my DVD player you have to press the back button twice because what happens is say Kukuk finishes technique 9, then you are on technique 10. If you press back a chapter it goes to the beginning of technique 10, not 9. So you have to press the back button twice and then make sure that you are on the right chapter by listening to what he is talking about. It may seem like a small point but it is kind of annoying if you want to watch the same technique over and over again. (I suppose there may be some way to repeat the chapter on your remote).

For $50 though it's not bad for 13 DVDs. (about $3.90 per disc) You really won't beat that anywhere, even the Panther/Century Martial Arts series go for $6.99 a disc.

I bought it when it was $99 which was money probably that could have been spent better elsewhere.

can you still get the renzo/kukuk tapes?

tjmitch - can you still get the renzo/kukuk tapes?

Yeah that set is available from a couple places as a 3 dics DVD for like $40.

The one that hasn't been put on DVD is the Renzo Gracie Instructional Series (with no Craig Kukuk)

I thought this set was more like $100? Where do you guys see it for $50?

I agree Kukuk a-z is $99. Or cheaper like under $80 on Amazon. com.Renzo/Kukuk is like $59 or cheaper like under $50 on amazon.com.if you could tell me where I can get kukuk A-z for $50 I'd buy it in a giffy.g2010

ebay sells kukuk for $59.99. C'mon guys.

Grappler2010 - I agree Kukuk a-z is $99. Or cheaper like under $80 on Amazon. com.Renzo/Kukuk is like $59 or cheaper like under $50 on amazon.com.if you could tell me where I can get kukuk A-z for $50 I'd buy it in a giffy.g2010

like I said 2010... you've got mma mail...

Hmm, I have it but I think there are many better instructionals out there.

DarthChoke
Not interested.

Thanks for your insight into this A-Z set guys. I've decided to purchase the set for $50 off ebay.g2010

[quote]Grappler2010 - The following point from BruceLeeMMAFighting concerns me:"And he goes through each move only one time I think instead of 3 (or at least it seemed that way), so you have to do alot of rewinding to rewatch it "[/quote]

You want a whole series of quotes that concern you?

Go to this classic "review" from "Bill" "Lewis".

http://members.aol.com/bjj33/kukuk2.htm