Craig Kukuk BJJ A-Z Series

NoWhereman22000:

Bill Lewis really eat up Craig Kukuk in that review ^^.I think for beginners, tape sets that DON'T teach combinations are best.

For if you have combinations you get stuck using the same sequences that may work for someone with a different body but not with your own. With individual moves and general strategies you can formulate your own sequences at a later date in your training.

I think Bill was biased in that interview. He tore Kukuk down unnecessarily. I've seen his other reviews and they're a lot less biased.

g2010

What ever happend to Kukuk?

That A-Z set was awesome BTW for no gi.

Renzokukuk < Renzoku, IMO.

ttt

I heard he is teaching at The Mat in Boise. Anyone know if that's true?

He moved to AZ a few years ago after promoting Jacen Flynn to black belt while in Idaho.  And thats the last of things I know as he just teaches no gi these days.

I know this is an old thread but I have to said this: Bjj is a physical activity... that is, it is something one does with ones body. With that said: you are NOT suppose to watch instructional DVDS for a physical activity, like Bjj, the same way you would watch a movie.

It is okay to watch and focus on just one or two techniques at a time. In fact, it is best to focus on just a few techniques from the many techniques on the DVD.

Physical techniques do NOT did a lot of explanation. You should do most of your learning of a physical technique/move from careful observation. A tool like a DVD allows one to WATCH the technique over and over and over (that's the point of rewind). Heck, you can even watch it in slow motion if necessary.

Hunter V - 

He moved to AZ a few years ago after promoting Jacen Flynn to black belt while in Idaho.  And thats the last of things I know as he just teaches no gi these days.

Where is he in AZ now?

This tape set was horrible.   Disjointed.   Random. No cohesion.   Some stuff repeated.  The Renzo/kukuk tape was much better

From what I can see, Kukuk's Bjj A-Z DVDs looks fine to me.

https://youtu.be/PXNRvCKM6pI

Even though my name says differently, I'm a brown belt in the Kukuk lineage (from black belts Jacen Flynn and Nick Kugelman). The Mat is the name of our club in Meridian, Idaho. We're in the same spot we were in when Craig owned it, but he is now in the Phoenix, Arizona area. To the best of my knowledge he isn't teaching or training anymore because of a bad back, which is a shame. Rolling with Craig is like having your dreams smashed and your soul sucked out of you by knowing you will probably never be as good as he is...but at the same time, he builds you up and tells you how great you're doing.

He no longer owns the rights to A-Z, so he didn't talk about it much. His sons come in and train with us when they are on breaks from college. They're both blue belts and have a hard time understanding why we wear t-shirts with pictures of their dad on them. Anyway, Craig is a great guy and I'm proud to have been able to train and be ranked under him.

Markus Barrett -

This tape set was horrible.   Disjointed.   Random. No cohesion.   Some stuff repeated.  The Renzo/kukuk tape was much better

how would you compare them to, say, rorions basics set?