Crazy Joe Dimaggio stat

Mike Trout is on pace to strike out about 170 this year, Bryce Harper will strike out somewhere around 125 times this year.

Joe D played 13 seasons in the MLB, hit 361 home runs and struck out 369 times. Up until his last season, he actually had more home runs than strike outs. His last season he hit 12 homers and struck out 36 times in about 500 plate appearances. In 1941, he had 622 plate appearances, hit .357 with 30 homers and 125 RBI...struck out 12 times.

That is a crazy stat. Obviously with how far pitching has come since then has a little to do with it. But 12 strikeouts in a season seems almost impossible. VU for the knowledge.

Also fuck the Yankees ; )

I wonder what his eyesight was like.

Certainly, guys like Joe D and Teddy Ballgame had to have some spectacular peepers. Phone Post 3.0

Ted Williams had 20/10 vision but his acuity was said to be a 1 out of 100,000 occurrence.

I'm not an opthalmologist so I don't know what that means but they were impressed. Lol Phone Post 3.0

Joe DiMaggio's most impressive accomplishment?

HE MARRIED MARILYN FUCKING MONROE.

Salt the Snail -

That is a crazy stat. Obviously with how far pitching has come since then has a little to do with it. But 12 strikeouts in a season seems almost impossible. VU for the knowledge.

Tony Gwynn also had very low strikeout but didn't have much power compare to Joe D. Phone Post 3.0

BRZ - 
Salt the Snail -

Tony Gwynn also had very low strikeout but didn't have much power compare to Joe D. Phone Post 3.0

Gwynn would have been so much better if he would have kept his weight under control. Would have had a lot more steals.

Johnny Ringo - Ted Williams had 20/10 vision but his acuity was said to be a 1 out of 100,000 occurrence.

I'm not an opthalmologist so I don't know what that means but they were impressed. Lol Phone Post 3.0
They see everything in HD. Guy i work with has 20/10 vision. Phone Post 3.0

Ted did not hit a homer to that seat Phone Post 3.0

Girly - Ted did not hit a homer to that seat Phone Post 3.0

David Ortiz is such a fat piece of shit

He also took off some good years to serve in the military. Phone Post 3.0

dizz -

He is but he's right. Ted , nor anybody else , put one there Phone Post 3.0

Also, keep in mind that whereas all other sports see vast improvements in ability, MLB pitching is one area where it has remained at a virtual constant in terms of how hard a pitcher can throw. The reason for this is physics actually, as the amount of torque a person's arm ligaments can take is pretty much capped at pitches of ~100 MPH and has been that way since Joltin' Joe played.

Girly - 
dizz -

He is but he's right. Ted , nor anybody else , put one there Phone Post 3.0

Probably true, but why even bring it up? Legendary stuff like that is part of the mythos that makes baseball great

Ortiz is just jealous that he did all the PEDs in the world and still couldn't hit one 502 feet

You know how in boxing and striking how you talk about 'just touch' your opponent. It's a way of relaxing and finding your range, etc. Joe was similar in that he wasn't going for the KO every time like Ruth - but he could 'just touch' the ball like no other.

600 ABs and only 12 Ks is astounding Phone Post 3.0

Joe D was also a great outfielder, people in NY were trying to make a claim for Jeter in the Yankee top 4 over Joe D or Mantle. Bitch, you must be crazy. The Yankees top 4 was the easiest team to do. I would have Mariano ahead of Jeter

SallymeetsHarrySack - Joe D was also a great outfielder, people in NY were trying to make a claim for Jeter in the Yankee top 4 over Joe D or Mantle. Bitch, you must be crazy. The Yankees top 4 was the easiest team to do. I would have Mariano ahead of Jeter

Agreed!! And I looked through all the Franchise Four for each team and it should have been just retired players...can't believe the damn Giants fans voted Posey in over Mel Ott, Mathewson, Cepeda and Marichal...borderline retarded Phone Post 3.0

SallymeetsHarrySack - Mike Trout is on pace to strike out about 170 this year, Bryce Harper will strike out somewhere around 125 times this year.

Joe D played 13 seasons in the MLB, hit 361 home runs and struck out 369 times. Up until his last season, he actually had more home runs than strike outs. His last season he hit 12 homers and struck out 36 times in about 500 plate appearances. In 1941, he had 622 plate appearances, hit .357 with 30 homers and 125 RBI...struck out 12 times.

Awesome. I am a Yankees fan, but even crazier Ted Williams that year struck out 27 times in 606 PA, but had 71 more walks (147 vs 76)

Williams was ahead of his time when it came to drawing walks