Crazy monkey rythm question

When you are defending against jabs and crosses with your crazy monkey defence, should you try to move your arms in exact rythm to his punches? In that case, you would "block" each punch of his with exactly ONE elbow movement (your elbow moving inwards and upwards a bit).

Or should you just be moving from side to side, constantly, in your OWN rythm, with the idea to make it very hard for your opponent to punch between your arms?

I hope you understand the question.

Regards,

jonpall.

If you use the exact same rythm as he does, you'll probably get away with it against someone who never saw CM. When I use it against my people, if i don't use my own rythm or more likely: try to break their rythm with my blocking i'll get clocked :)

bottom line: as in general with fighting, try to dictate the fight with your own rythm. Of course i block one punch with one elbow at the same time etc but not more than 3 times, after that I better "do something" or I have to fall back again and start over.

that's my opinion/experience/2c.

Edit: Not sure if that's what you wanted to know :D

Good answer. I think I understood it. What I was basically asking is, f.ex., if he throws a jab/cross combination, should I try as hard as I can to block the first punch with my right forearm and the second punch with my left forearm? If I take both those shots on my right forearm, is that bad?

Your answer seems to be - NO - it's better to move those forearms of mine (along with twisting my hips) in my own rythm, not to the rythm of his punches, to make it really hard for him to get his punches between my forearms, i.e. to be a moving target.

Therefore, those forearm movements in Crazy Monkey aren't really BLOCKS, like something equivalant in Karate, but just a way of forming a "shield" around my head while making the gap between my arms hard to catch with punches.

Does it seem like I'm understanding this?

I would block a jab/cross combination with the "same" elbow, so if he throws a left jab, i use my left elbow and the cross usually with my right elbow. I also noticed that keeping the lead/back hand setup while using CM is very important also to close the gap between your two arms. In other words: never hold your hands up perfectly symmetrical towards the enemy.

The two things I think are important here would be 1. the movement of the arms "right elbow to left knee, left elbow to right knee" and combing the hair and 2. (the obvious) actually do something about his attack, countering etc. since CM is just a shell for us to rely on but eventually expand from and develop our own attributes and style (that's my view of it).

"Therefore, those forearm movements in Crazy Monkey aren't really BLOCKS, like something equivalant in Karate, but just a way of forming a "shield" around my head while making the gap between my arms hard to catch with punches."

that sounds 100% correct. when i showed kids CM they didnt really grasp the "block with your forearms" but when i told them to hit the others fists with their elbows, they understood the movement.

"but when i told them to hit the others fists with their elbows, they understood the movement"
Is it a kind of limb destruction too?

the explanation of "hit fists with elbows" has to be used carefully. i tell them deliberately to "hit" because then they automatically make a forward motion with their elbows, which means they don't hold their arms straight out but more downwards to be able to make a move. i told them that because they held their elbows straight out pointing towards the opponent which made them immobile (and open for body shots). so that advice was pretty situation-specific.

however, ppl understood it faster like that. but yeah it could be seen as limb destruction, it's very painful if you're bareknuckle, just try it, hehe.

I prove limb destruction against a boxer with barehands it works.

"if he throws a jab/cross combination, should I try as hard as I can to block the first punch with my right forearm and the second punch with my left forearm? If I take both those shots on my right forearm, is that bad?"

You can use either your right or left side. It is not at all bad to use the same side or to switch sides. You could defend against a jab/cross using your left side, right side or both.

Sorry guys been on holiday in Cape Town...looks like
everyone answered the question really well:)

Does it matter what hand you use no...what i suggest
is to get the Sparring 101 DVD at
www.streetbrawl.co.za/store

Ultimately rythm = getting hit in the head and rythm
is only good for dancing:)

Cheers,

Rodney

www.alivenessnow.com

Thanks, Rodney, and everyone.