Crazy North Koreans are crazy

http://youtu.be/rCcQt62vThY

North Korean TKD demo. Phone Post 3.0

Jesus at 3:10 they break out an axe, THEY BREAK OUT A DAMN AXE!! Phone Post 3.0

RattleCaT - Jesus at 3:10 they break out an axe, THEY BREAK OUT A DAMN AXE!! Phone Post 3.0

That's a sledge hammer

heavyhands09 - 
RattleCaT - Jesus at 3:10 they break out an axe, THEY BREAK OUT A DAMN AXE!! Phone Post 3.0

That's a sledge hammer

LOL

heavyhands09 - 

That's a sledge hammer

looked like a splitting maul to me, and they used a sledge to hit it...

splitting maul..

Good thing M-16s can hit a target a couple hundred meters out. Phone Post 3.0

Shanks V3.1 - 
heavyhands09 - 

That's a sledge hammer

splitting maul..

Freeze it at 3:16 a split second before 3:17. It's a sledge hammer breh

at :50 four people jumpkick a guy at the same time! proof of their superiority over western capitalist fatcats

But, can they stop a takedown?

Hatchet at 2:50 Phone Post 3.0

rootsnattyroots - But, can they stop a takedown?
Ding ding ding!!! Phone Post 3.0

heavyhands09 -
Shanks V3.1 - 
heavyhands09 - 

That's a sledge hammer

splitting maul..

Freeze it at 3:16 a split second before 3:17. It's a sledge hammer breh
Not 3:10, but at 2:50. Its's a splitting maul that gets hit with a sledgehammer. Coincidentally, that scene was the nail-in-the-coffin(sledgehammer-on-the-splitting-maul?) that led to me deciding it was post-worthy, and also the inspiration for the thread title. Phone Post 3.0

Wow! Phone Post 3.0

In 2000, I trained with a guy from Russia who did Sambo and North Corean TKD (he was a 4th generation Korean living in Russia -originally from Sakhalin, but grew up in Moscow). TKD in North Corea is from the International Taekwondo lineage as opposed to most South Corean TKD that comes from the World Taekwondo Federation lineage.

My guy from Russia used lots of low kicks (including some Muay Thai-ish clubbing kicks) and knees, whereas WTF stylists seem to be the stereotypical front leg flippers.

Those demonstrations include lots of "parlor tricks" used by martial artists worldwide, but goddamn! Breaking boards while standing on broken glass? Bending two metal stakes at the throat and abdomen? Having a hatchet smashed onto your forearm? Crazy shit. I understand the physics behind everything, but that shit seems INSANELY dangerous.

Props to the guy who broke TWO bricks that were just sitting upright with a horizontal strike. That's crazy power right there.

With all that said, Taekwondo is an unfortunate derivative of Japanese Karate. One of the last surviving traditional Corean martial arts is Taekkyeon. It is a mixture of the kicking techniques of Taekwondo with the grabs and throws from Ssireum (Corean belt wrestling) and Judo. They traditionally practice to a drumbeat (kinda like capoeira) and competitions combine landing clean kicks to the body and head along with scoring takedowns (no punching is allowed). Fun stuff.

One last note, when I was in Pyeongyang in 2009, one of the people I met asked if I was a wrestler. I told her that I did mixed martial arts, and she said, "oh, is that like sambo?"

fos

rootsnattyroots - But, can they stop a takedown?

Two words for you:

Tiger Claw

5 o clock shadow - In 2000, I trained with a guy from Russia who did Sambo and North Corean TKD (he was a 4th generation Korean living in Russia -originally from Sakhalin, but grew up in Moscow). TKD in North Corea is from the International Taekwondo lineage as opposed to most South Corean TKD that comes from the World Taekwondo Federation lineage.

My guy from Russia used lots of low kicks (including some Muay Thai-ish clubbing kicks) and knees, whereas WTF stylists seem to be the stereotypical front leg flippers.

Those demonstrations include lots of "parlor tricks" used by martial artists worldwide, but goddamn! Breaking boards while standing on broken glass? Bending two metal stakes at the throat and abdomen? Having a hatchet smashed onto your forearm? Crazy shit. I understand the physics behind everything, but that shit seems INSANELY dangerous.

Props to the guy who broke TWO bricks that were just sitting upright with a horizontal strike. That's crazy power right there.

With all that said, Taekwondo is an unfortunate derivative of Japanese Karate. One of the last surviving traditional Corean martial arts is Taekkyeon. It is a mixture of the kicking techniques of Taekwondo with the grabs and throws from Ssireum (Corean belt wrestling) and Judo. They traditionally practice to a drumbeat (kinda like capoeira) and competitions combine landing clean kicks to the body and head along with scoring takedowns (no punching is allowed). Fun stuff.

One last note, when I was in Pyeongyang in 2009, one of the people I met asked if I was a wrestler. I told her that I did mixed martial arts, and she said, "oh, is that like sambo?"

fos
Vice did a documentary not too long ago the followed slave trade where Russians were importing slaves from North Korea. Any idea if your friend was a product of this?

Also, Korea.. Phone Post 3.0

1Haffnegr0,

During the Japanese Occupation (1910-1945) lots of Coreans fled into Manchuria, including areas occupied by the Soviets (Vladivostok, Kharbrovsk). These Coreans transformed vasts swaths of forest into fertile land. Stalin labelled these Coreans as "latent state traitors," and deported them enmasse (500,000+) to Central Asia (Kryzakstan, Uzebekistan, and Kazakstan). Their land went to White Soviet settlers, while the Coreans were under orders to transform Central Asian desert into farmland. Fast forward to 2005 or so and the new independent Central Asian Republics made a move to expel all Coreans after they labored for generations to transform desert into arable land. South Corea rejected these Coreans because they were perceived as "poor" and "dirty." So those Coreans could be looked upon as slaves of a sort.

My friend, however, was part of the Corean contingent that was sent to Sakhalin as slave labor for the Japanese. There is still a community there, in addition to descendents that have long since moved on.

The North Corean laborers live and work in isolated labor camps in Russia. I haven't seen the Vice documentary yet, so I can't comment any further.

Feel free to spell Corea with a "K," some of us chose to use the "C."

fos

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/15/world/fg-corea15

Well I'll be damned, would you look at that. VU for droppin' knowledge. Phone Post 3.0

5 o clock shadow - In 2000, I trained with a guy from Russia who did Sambo and North Corean TKD (he was a 4th generation Korean living in Russia -originally from Sakhalin, but grew up in Moscow). TKD in North Corea is from the International Taekwondo lineage as opposed to most South Corean TKD that comes from the World Taekwondo Federation lineage.

fos

Thank you for the informative post. The ITF stuff makes sense at TKD founder Gen Choi Hong Ho was North Korean, and his interest in N Korea is what what caused the ITF WTF split.