critique my lifting routine, pleas

OK, some background (same as on my other critique my diet thread):

I'm 33, 6'0", 180 pounds, have been athletic all my life, a bit of a "hard gainer".  current BF is approx. 15%.  My goals are to gain muscle and get rid of excess BF (if possible to do both simultaneously).  I'd like to be around 190 at 10% BF.  my training consists of weights 3x per week and I'll be restarting muay thai and BJJ soon, probably 3x per week (at that point I may pull back on weights to 2x per week).

I've lifted for maybe 18 years now, pretty consistently.  at present I don't train 1-rep maxes but would guess the following (for reference only to establish weights for sets of higher reps):

• bench = 250 (I am a terrible bench-presser, don't know why)
  • SQ = 405
  • DL = 405

my current workouts look like this (I take at least 1 rest day between WOs):

• day 1 "push": seated military press 2x8, BW dips 2x10, tricep skull crushers 1x8
  • day 2 "pull": wide grip pulldowns 2x8, t-bar rows 2x8, bicep curls 1x8
  • day 3 "compound": SQ 2x10 or DL 2x10, leg extension 1x10, leg curl 1x10, standing calf raises 1x10

any criticisms, suggestions, etc. welcome.  I do have a few specific questions, such as:

• where do I squeeze in traps, or is it even necessary?
  • should I work calves more than 1x week?
  • are the skull crushers and bicep curls even worth doing?
  • do squats really make your waist thicker?
  • one thing I'd like to do is build "broader shoulders" and thicker arms.  my guess is by heavey SQ and DL my body will get bigger as a whole and this is the best way to accomplish both of these goals.  correct?

again, thanks for any / all replies.

Are you looking for a bodybuilding perspective, or a athletic, type of build.

First of all, being 6 ft and 180 lbs with a 250 lb bench press is not terrible at all! You do not need to be a world class bench presser. As you put, you also do not need to do 1 RM stuff.

When I am on the mat with people that lift heavier weight than I do, I still tend to be much stronger than they are.

You should include 1 or 2 sprinting days in there. Also, try to go beyond just "BJJ" if possible, there is alot more out there.

personally I would find that routine a little low in volume to make much in the way of muscle-gain, but you know yourself better than I, certainly after 18 yrs training.

I would maybe sub skull crushers for close grip bench presses to get an extra compound movement in on day one, and maybe the curls for chins, (palms facing you, narrowish grip) on day two, but again, that's just me.

Are the exercises going to be done to near-failure? If so you may find yourself a bit knackered when it comes to adding BJJ/MT. I tried combining HIT with mma training and was permanently bolloxed. weight training with more frequency while avoiding failure has worked better for me - both in stimulating strength and size gains and in keeping me fresh for other sporting pursuits.

To paraphrase Clarence Bass though, everyone is their own personal experiment - if you think that routine will benefit you then run with it for a bit and then maybe tinker with it as you go...

cassidy:Are you looking for a bodybuilding perspective, or a athletic, type of build.more of a bodybuilding perspective from the weights; I figure I'll get the athletic / cardio aspects from my MMA training.kansetsuzawa:You should include 1 or 2 sprinting days in there.this is a great idea and something I was thinking about. however, I'm totally ignorant on this. will sprinting build fast-twitch vs. slow twitch? what distances / reps?Also, try to go beyond just "BJJ" if possible, there is alot more out there.sorry I wasn't more clear on this. I actually train muay thai, BJJ, and "submission wrestling". so we do takedowns, control, GnP sparring, leglocks from sambo, etc.Juninho:personally I would find that routine a little low in volume to make much in the way of muscle-gain, but you know yourself better than I, certainly after 18 yrs training.Are the exercises going to be done to near-failure? If so you may find yourself a bit knackered when it comes to adding BJJ/MT. I tried combining HIT with mma training and was permanently bolloxed. weight training with more frequency while avoiding failure has worked better for me - both in stimulating strength and size gains and in keeping me fresh for other sporting pursuits.hmm, good points. maybe this is why I haven't gained much lately. I'll try adding volume and not going to failure for a few months.I would maybe sub skull crushers for close grip bench presses to get an extra compound movement in on day one, and maybe the curls for chins, (palms facing you, narrowish grip) on day two, but again, that's just me.OK, I get it. more compound movements = better results.thanks again to all...

Well for a bodybuilding type of routine that is really low volume. And the choices of exercises could be a little better.

How many days a week do you want to workout? 3 like you posted? I will post a short "westside type article a friend of mine wrote in a minute.

Powerlifting--Westside Basics by Silverback

For many, the hype surrounding Westside and their unique training methods is just now being brought forth in the various print media. However, for numerous years, in obscure magazines like Powerlifting USA, Louie Simmons and his training methods have been laid out for all to see and use. Louie is a not the typical trainer, as he is also an Elite level powerlifter. He practices what he preaches, and is often the initial guinea pig for many of his ideas such as the reverse hyper- extension machine. Louie is the master of progressive training in its most pure form and thus Westside's program constantly changes. When the history books are written about powerlifting, there will be chapters on Simmons and Westside--his system has been that influential.

Trying to remember back to my first introduction to Westside, I remember an article by Dave Caster in PLUSA in about 92 or 93. It laid out a basic Westside program. In the months that followed, Louie wrote a couple more articles, showing the ever changing face of Westside. The program outlined below is old-school Westside and does not incorporate any bands or chains. It is a basic Westside program that may be a very good place to start for those wanting to try Westside. But, once again, I need to qualify. Those of you who train Westside will see its dated nature.. Westside isn't for everyone, but most can benefit from the sound principles behind the program.

Bench Press--The bench is trained twice a week. One DE or Dynamic Effort day, and one ME or Maximum Effort day.

DE Bench Day--On this day you work on speed strength. Take your bench press non-shirt maximum, and multiply it by .6. That will give your work weight on your flat barbell bench press.

For Instance:
Current Max--400lbs x .6 = 240 lbs.

You will do 8 sets of 3 reps varying your grip every set. Start with your weakest grip and go to your strongest. I start narrow and work out to the pinky finger touching the rings. Rest no more than 45 seconds between sets. Push the bar as fast as you can under control.

The next exercises are side laterals and front laterals. Do 2 sets of 15- 20 reps with one minute between each set. The purpose is to generate circulation in the shoulder girdle.

Next, move to some form of chest supported row machine. Do 6 sets of 5 reps here. I try to keep rest periods below a minute and the weight in good form for every rep. Increase the weight when you can get all six sets in good form.

Finally, do some lying dumbell tricep extensions. Shoot for a total of 40-60 reps. If the weight is higher, the lower range is acceptable. I try to do either 8 sets of 5 or 5 sets of 10. Keep the rest periods to a minute or so. You should be done in less than 45 minutes for the whole session.

Summary: DE Day
Flat Barbell Bench Press--8 x 3 x .6 of current max.
Front Laterals SS Side Laterals--2 x 15-20
Chest Support Row--6 x 5
Lying Tricep Extensions--8 x 5 or 5 x 10.
Note the rest periods.

ME Bench Day

In the Westside system, the main focus is to ALWAYS strengthen your weak points. On the ME day, that is precisely what you do. You choose from a select set of exercises to address, various weaknesses include, tricep strength, shoulder strength, chest strength, etc... A lot of this is determined by where the bar stalls when you fail on a max rep. Failing on the chest and about 1-3 inches off is usually a sign of weak chest strength and/or very bad form. Failing somewhere between the 3 inch mark and roughly 9-12 inches depending on arm length, is a sign of shoulder weakness, and from there up usually a sign of tricep weakness. This is all very general and only given as a general diagnostic aid. Ideally, you need someone experienced to tell you why you are failing.

I'll provide seven exercises, two-three for each area to address weaknesses.

Low--1) Wide grip bench presses outside of the rings for higher reps to build the pecs. 2) Partial Presses with the pin about 1 inch off of your chest.

Mid--1) 2-3 Board press (where a board is a 2 x 6, so that would range from 4-6 inches off of the chest, regular and narrow grip. 2) Floor Press (laying on the floor in a power rack, lower the bar until your upper arm is on the floor and press back up), regular grip and narrow grip. 3) Close-grip Incline Barbell Press with elbows in at side.

Upper--1) 4-6 board press. 2) Lock out work in a rack, usually working that last 6-8 inches. These are usually all done close-grip.

Normally you choose one of these exercises to address your specific weakpoint and work up to some kind of max. I usually included 2 sets of flat/decline dumbell press for 20 reps following this exercise along with some back, tricep and bicep work for restorative purposes.

For example, if my shoulders were weak and my press were stalling in that range--

Close-Grip Incline Barbell Press--work up to 3 rep max for 3 weeks in a row.

Flat Dumbell Bench Press-- 2 sets of 20 reps, the second one to failure. Normally done with the same weight.

Rope Pulls to Face and to Abs--2 sets each way of 15 reps. Move quickly through these, no more than 1 minute between sets.

Tricep Extensions-3 sets of 15 reps.

Bicep Curls--3 sets of 15 reps.

And you're done. You then learn to rotate the exercises to continue to constantly strengthen your weak points. If you're not strengthening your weak points, you won't get stronger.

-------------
Deadlift

Louie used to recommend no direct deadlift training instead opting for various other back strengthening exercises. He'd say, if you want to improve your deadlift, don't deadlift. At this early stage however, he also stated that you needed to learn to keep your form and every so often, you should deadlift. What you would do is take roughly take .6 of your DL max and do 10 sets of 1 rep. Explode the weight, and work on your form. About 1 minute between sets. I would do this about once a month just to keep in touch with it.

-----------------
Squat--There were/are a DE and an ME day for the squat. However, as many Westside trainees have noted, this leads quickly to overtraining. Louie works with the most elite athletes in the game and their recuperative abilities are often far greater than the average trainee's. So, here's where I will deviate from the old Westside program. IA inspired this type of change and it makes a lot of sense. We will combine our DE and ME days. Later, as you become more advanced, you may want to split them up.

The principles still hold. You need to address your weakpoints constantly. We will begin with an ME movement and move to our DE movements.

Let's say you needed to increase back strength and your quad strength. You may do something like a high box or bench squat, where your legs are one to two inches above parallel and your heels are shoulder width or closer.

Close-Stance High Box Squat--work up to a 3 rep max.

You then would need to do your DE work. Normally the system supports doing 10 sets of 2 reps at 50-60% of your current squat max on a lower box--usually below parallel. We will bring these down a bit given the previous volume and work.

500lbs. Squat x .5/.6 = 250-300lbs

Low Box Squats--6 sets x 2 reps at 300lbs. As we did with the bench, use a couple or three different stances, wide, medium, and narrow, beginning with your weakest. These are done explosively. Do them with about a minute between each set.

Next, do some kind of back strengthening movement including good mornings, arched back good mornings, stiff-legged DL, reverse hyper extensions, bench good mornings where you sit and straddle a bench and bend over till your forehead touches. These can be done for 5-8 reps and for 3-4 sets.

Finally, finish off with some kind of hamstring movement, either pull throughs, or leg curls. 2-3 sets of 10 will do.

To recap,

Close-Stance Squats on a High Box/Bench--work up to a 3 rep max.

Low Box Squats--6 sets of 2 reps.

Bench Good Mornings--3 sets of 6 reps.

Pull Throughs--3 sets of 10 reps.

Putting it all together.

You will be training with weights 3 days per week. On at least two of your off days, you should be doing some kind of active restoration like sled pulling or cardio work (usually of a higher intensity, not done like normal).

Monday--DE Bench Press
Tuesday--off
Wednesday--ME/DE Squat Day
Thursday--Active Restoration
Friday--ME Bench
Saturday--Active Restoration
Sunday--off

You are training the upper body two days per week and the lower one. This will allow plenty of time to recuperate and get stronger.

Every two-three weeks you want to change your ME main exercises in order to continue to address your weak points. There are number of exercises to do it. I'll post a link to Tate's page and his huge list of them.

SB

Man, sometimes I finish my sprint days with shuttle runs, and it nearly kills me! I always say, "I need to not do that again", but then I am out there next week doing it again!

cool routines, thanks so much

will have to try to slowly integrate those elements into my plans...