Cro Cop vs. Gonzaga

I don't care if Gonzaga can beat Kongo, I like Cro Cop/Kongo as a matchup better than Cro Cop/Gonzaga. With Kongo we will see a guy who will try and trade with Cro Cop and it should be fireworks. Against Gonzaga it will be a lot of failed takedown attempts while Mirko picks away at him and finally knocks him out.

I've said it on other threads too, a big KO win vs Kongo will help raise Mirko's stock among the average fan.

Gonzaga might beat Cro Cop...why not just feed cro cop kongo...Gonzaga has good takedowns and world class bjj...i can see him armbaring cro cop.

Coleman and Randleman both have good takedowns too, much more explosive than Gonzaga.

You think Gonzaga is better on the ground then NOG?  hmmmm i don't know about that sir.

in an mma context, Nog is the proven master, but or no gi and bjj, i'd say yes - Napao is current super super heavy mundials and copa do mundo champ (beating  Leo Leite at one and Pe De Pano at the other). He took 2nd at the last adcc for +99kg.

I don't think nog ever did better than bronze at the mundials absolute in 19999 and 2nd round at an ADCC.

people will bitch about everything...they bitch CC was handed a tomato can in Sanchez, then when he's rumored to fight a top  guy in the HW division people still bitch and want to see CC beat another can(Kongo).   CC is already bored in the UFC,  give him Gonzaga, then the champ, and then start putting the top contender to try and take CC's belt.

"in an mma context, Nog is the proven master, but or no gi and bjj, i'd say yes - Napao is current super super heavy mundials and copa do mundo champ (beating  Leo Leite at one and Pe De Pano at the other). He took 2nd at the last adcc for 99+. I don't think nog ever did better than bronze at the mundials absolute in 99 and 2nd round at an ADCC."

Good info, Gonzaga / Nog would be a good match-up.

Gonzaga is top 5 UFC HW

Pure grappling and technical skills, Gonzaga is better. But with strikes, Nog is not afraid to get hit when setting up his subs.

#4 IMO.

1) Cro Cop

2) Sylvia

3) Arlovski

4) Gonzaga

5) Couture

6) Vera

7) Hardonk

8) O'brien

9) Herring

10) Pe De Pano / Monson

4-6 is hard to judge.  it's been a while since Randy has fought HW and Vera could be put in spots 4-6 just the way you judge it.

ttt

Does anyone remember the absolute shit-fest that Gonzaga fought against Kevin Jordan?

I think they should both be banned from MMA permanently for that bull shit.

Additionally, I know I'm going to get flamed for this given Gonzaga beat Pe de Pano in the Copas this year, but Pe de Pano is the better grappler of the two. He's got a better record and pedigree. Gonzaga got a win over him, I'll grant that, but that's the nature of the sport. I'd take Pe de Pano over Gonzaga 9 times out of 10.

Additionally, I know I'm going to get flamed for this given Gonzaga beat Pe de Pano in the Copas this year, but Pe de Pano is the better grappler of the two. He's got a better record and pedigree. Gonzaga got a win over him, I'll grant that, but that's the nature of the sport. I'd take Pe de Pano over Gonzaga 9 times out of 10.

Not flamed.

Yes Pe De Pano has a much better pedigree and record, but in terms of currently, napao is the better grappler. the only 2 times i can recall they have fought in the last 2 years (gi at the CDM 2006 and nogi at adcc 2005) Napao won, by 2 adv at CDM and at adcc, he subbed PDP quickly with a calf crusher. They could well face off again at adcc 2007 this year.

Mir should be fighting retirement.

The Last Don couldn't be more wrong. Wow!

JSho already pointed out Gonzaga's grappling pedigree. But Gonzaga's only bad UFC fight came shortly after he lost his daughter - and his wife was still in the hospital. He just fucked up by deciding to fight at all. His 2 UFC fights since then have been great.

it's annoying that they don't make cro-cop vs. arlovski, since both are
going to be on that card, and the winner would be the obvious guy to face
couture/sylvia. they are stretching things out, which is starting to remind
me of boxing...

People like to give Gonzaga all sorts of grief for
his fight against Jordan, but it has been reported
from a few different sources that his training was
submarined because of massive personal
problems at the time. IIRC, his wife went into labor
prematurely, and they lost one of their twin
daughters. I think that Joe Rogan actually made
reference to this during his subsequent fight with
Scherner.

Not sure why this is a mismatch...Gonzaga is one of the top 4 or 5 guys the UFC has at HWT right now...without giving Mirko a title shot, Gonzaga is one of the best the UFC could throw at him.

If anyone is going to beat Mirko, you'd have to think a ground guy is the best shot...not like someone is going to strike with him.

good matchup. i wish these damn pride fans would just die

Arlovski is fighting Werdum is the rumor going around i guess.