cross collar defence

hey guys,i'm getting sick of getting tapped via cross collar chokes,it is the one submission i'm just having a hell of a time defending against. any tips???

Don't let them sink the second hand in. If possible don't let the first hand get in.

Seriously once they have a good grip on your lapels with both hands you're pretty well done.

gsx_r - Don't let them sink the second hand in. If possible don't let the first hand get in.

Seriously once they have a good grip on your lapels with both hands you're pretty well done.

pretty much so. they will choke through alot of the defenses if they have good grips. Fight the collar grip off as soon as they get it..or catch it before.

late stage defense shown on m.jen's old vid:

once he has it locked deep, cross your arms over top of his elbows and lunge forward bringing your head above his while pushing your arms down toward your belly. yes, this does compromise your base, so as soon as you feel him let go of the choke to transition to a sweep, attempt to reclaim your posture.

What position are you getting tapped from? Different defenses from the mount, cross body, and guard...

guard or mount most of the time

a good defense from being cross choked from the mount is shrugging your shoulders and tucking your chin when you go for the "bridge and roll" escape.

there are so many ways to defend...just ask your instructor.

if i get tired of a guy gripping my collar,i take my hand slide it under his wrist and grab my head (same side)

It is possible that I have never been submitted from a cross collar choke from the guard. I think it is the easiest submission to defend.

From the mount, however, is a different story. But from the guard... c'mon man.

For me, I'm about preventing things before it happens. While I'm in someone's guard, I break the collar grip ASAP. Even before they grip, I'm anticipating their hands reaching... so I look to always knock their hands away. If they get a good grip... I always maintain my posture... two hands on one and break the grip. If they somehow manage to get both grips... I'll wedge my hand right in between the X that their hands will make as they try to cross collar choke. This has saved me lots of times in competition.

If I'm mounted, I'm usually looking to disrupt them as much as possible. As soon as someone mounts me, I'm already working my escape (e.g. I'll hip out, use my feet to fish the top persons feet/legs back into half guard). By threatening them with my escape, they usually abandon collar grips. It's a bit harder to deal with grips while mounted...so I try my best to prevent it ASAP. If it gets to the point where they have both grips... its usually way too late. Even if you manage something, you get walked into some other bad position (e.g. exposing arm for armbars).

From the guard I like to put both hands on his chest, one on top of the other then posture up and drive as if I'm pressing him into the ground. From mount I put both hands on either bicep and pull down so that he can't posture as well. I then hook the foot of the side that I want to bridge to and bridge and roll.