Cross-Train in Judo/Wrestling 1x a week

to clarify, i only spent about 2 week at the judo place, but in that time span of 1-2 weeks of either judo or wrestling, the wrestling clicked immediately.. i immediately applied a mentality of (Pin this person to win)... w/ that in mind, wrestling translated over better for me... and i didn't have to spend years dealing w/ collar or sleeve grips to get proficient at it.

Empire,

Crazy. Just got off the phone with a former traiing partner and he said the same exact thing. And you make sense. I can execute a decent osoto-gari, hip throw and uchi-mata when practicing it but applying it in sparring - no way.

just sayin'..

judo is hard. so is wrestling, but w/ wrestling there is a little room for "slop" as long as you have drive and are tenacious/game... it's just as technical as judo, but for some reason i found that it transferred to ANYTHING grappling related much easier.

i mean, wrestling is the original grappling art so it makes sense that it has the basics, the fundamentals, that are essential to making anyone better at any grappling.

judo is specialized as is bjj.

back when it was allowed, i always found myself shooting doubles on good judoka, because fuck trying a throw on those bastards... they're too good.

Yeah. Come to think of it, I don't think i've ever swept a wrestler my weight. I've swept a judoka once though, but he was 10 lbs lighter than me.

I hate being uchi-mata'd though when I get a single-leg. John Danaher's guys love doing that in his class.

slip your head out to the outside w/ good posture. if they try and turn for the uchimata, take their back or switch to a double...

switch to double is always the answer ;)

don't be lazy w/ head to outside or you'll get guillotined, and being it's Renzo's, they are pretty good at that.

and no lazy singles... don't just hold the leg.. this gives them time to set up.

you should be j-stepping back and out and taking them down..it's actually quite popular in mma.

in my experience, wrestling is a lot easier to learn and the staple techniques of wrestling are a lot easier to apply to bjj. judo is a lot more difficult. i think that it definitely works but that it takes a lot longer to achieve proficiency.

Thanks for all the inputs.

You pull guard, which could mean you pull guard to sweep. A lot of open guard sweeps can turn into scramble. So, go with wrestling. Phone Post

??? He showed a basic judo sacrifice throw (yoko guruma).

I dunno where you guys are getting your info on judo. I'd say a good 80% of judo crosses perfectly fine to no gi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPPWx8k5H08

The the OP; do whichever one you like best, has the best available coach and suits your personality and circumstances. Bear in mind x1 week isn't much mat time if you intend to learn the art from it's own perspective.

Judo, IMHO, probably takes longer to learn and uses a different way of generating power then wrestling (rotational vs height change and shoot).

Judo also might have a different groundwork priority then wrestling / bjj. Pragmatically, this means landing throws into side control / scarf hold as a first resort. Maybe wrestling lets you go directly to mount; I'm not sure about wrestling.

For sake of disclosure, I tried freestyle for about a month but couldn't get it to click for me; weird body mechanics. I did really enjoy the pummeling and ties more so then the shooting. Wrestling is 100% A-ok in my book but not for me.

As for which fits better, I dunno. Many years ago, I read a long series of article by a guy called Frank Benn on the good fit of wrestling and BJJ. You might be able to find them here -

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/fb/fb.html

Is BJJ flavour different in the US then it is in Brazil? If so - and likely because you guys have a strong wrestling culture - then there's likely to be a wrestling influence on your BJJ.

OTOH, this old timey BJJ clip sure looks a lot like judo to me, but YMMV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAnrqDygns

FWIW; not trying to (re) start the holy internicine flame war of 2002

Ironically, the top echelon of the BJJ world, all use judo.
Wrestling, although a hell of a lot easier to pick up than judo (undebatable), doesn't seem to work too well for BJJ'ers in the highest levels.

SlapUSilly,

You seem spot on. However, I am leagues away from top echelon. LOL.

Thanks for the help guys.

Siciliano - SlapUSilly,

You seem spot on. However, I am leagues away from top echelon. LOL.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yea, same boat here. Just saying what i wrote for conversation's sake.

Judo for me.. i find it fun.

SlapUsilly - Ironically, the top echelon of the BJJ world, all use judo.
Wrestling, although a hell of a lot easier to pick up than judo (undebatable), doesn't seem to work too well for BJJ'ers in the highest levels.

guys in top echelon started at judo and/or it's more popular in brazil than wrestling.

The other element is which you enjoy more. I wrestled a bit when I was younger (middle school) and have an aversion to cross-training in wrestling. For me judo is much more difficult, but far more fun. I find a nice throw to be far more satisfying than a good double-leg.

Someone on this thread made the analogy that judo is BJJ sweeps from the feet. I love me some sweeps.

Unless you are trying to win big tournaments or MMA fights train what you enjoy more, even if it doesn't transition quite as well to BJJ. Phone Post