Crossfit and kipping

I've heard the reason CF'ers use kipping pullups, is because kipping makes it a "total body exercise" thereby "increasing power output" - so this raises the question, why don't they use kipping with other movements whenever possible?

Not trying to turn this into an CF bashing thread, but it's a legit question.

LOL @ Kipping squats...

TAKU

That was pretty good!

yeah great stuff

While I feel that the video is clearly a joke, I believe that movements using momentum have their place to maximize efficiency in your movements. The clean & jerk is sort of a kipping movement.

"Spider kipping" in the video seems to be a legit exercise although it looks dangerous.

""Spider kipping" in the video seems to be a legit exercise" <-- for what purpose??

TAKU

factchecker - While I feel that the video is clearly a joke, I believe that movements using momentum have their place to maximize efficiency in your movements. The clean & jerk is sort of a kipping movement.

"Spider kipping" in the video seems to be a legit exercise although it looks dangerous.

You got some splaining to do here! How is the clean & jerk like kipping?????

That was good for a few laughs.

Kipping pull-ups are harmless for the most part as a pull-up variation to go into a circuit. I have a problem when they are:

A) claimed to be "better" than strict pull-ups because of higher power output. This is ridiculous. They're two completely different pull-ups meant to achieve two completely different goals.

B) used as the default pull-up in general fitness conversation. I guess this could be a matter of opinion but if I ask a crossfitter how many pull-ups they can do and they simply answer "50", I think kipping should be specified.

C) taught as a beginner version or lower-intensity correlation of a strict pull-up. Again, they're entirely different. There are plenty of crossfitters that are in the 40's for kipping pull-ups and have a hard time doing 10 clean strict ones. If a workout calls for 10 strict pull-ups and someone can't do them, they should still be doing strict pull-ups even if it means using band assistance so that they're still working toward the right goal. "Scaling down" to kipping pull-ups every time just holds people back.

ArvoreGigante,

I agree with A - B - C

TAKU

LiftStrong - 
factchecker - While I feel that the video is clearly a joke, I believe that movements using momentum have their place to maximize efficiency in your movements. The clean & jerk is sort of a kipping movement.

You got some splaining to do here! How is the clean & jerk like kipping?????

No disrespect to the great exercise, lol.

Kipping, as I understand it, means that you jerk with your whole body to increase the momentum. Unlike with most other general exercises with weights, with the clearn & jerk you are not told to move the bar strictly. You do use your whole body to create momentum to help lift the weight. I could call it "kipping," although I do know this might sound very disrespectful to Olympic lifters(perhaps you are one).

Taku - 

""Spider kipping" in the video seems to be a legit exercise" <-- for what purpose??

TAKU

To work your gripping with hands and feet and also to train firefighters.

Sport-specific.

(I know the guy did it as a joke<hopefully>)

factchecker,

Fire Fighting is not a sport in fact I know of few sports that climb upsside down other than rock climbing and perhaps NINJA WARRIOR (if you consider that a sport)...not sure how many fire-fighters spend time climbing upside down while trying to put out a fire...My guess almost none. Several of my closest friends are fire-fighters, I will ask them about this (just in case).

There are literally hundreds of ways to work your grip that are safer, more effective, and efficient than climbing upside down on the ceiling. 

TAKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSumJ2HrnAA

Fast-forward it to around 3:22.

It is not the same, but I see it as a similar exercise.I might call it "occupation-specific." It might not increase your muscular strength, but at least it would accustom you to that kind of movements, decreasing your chance of being disoriented when upside-down.

I called it "legit" only because I thought in the first video that was the only exercise where the guy was not able to cheat.

I agree with you in that there are dozens of more effective movements to train your grips.

But again, the whole video was a joke, right?

factchecker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSumJ2HrnAA

Fast-forward it to around 3:22.

It is not the same, but I see it as a similar exercise.I might call it "occupation-specific." It might not increase your muscular strength, but at least it would accustom you to that kind of movements, decreasing your chance of being disoriented when upside-down.

I called it "legit" only because I thought in the first video that was the only exercise where the guy was not able to cheat.

I agree with you in that there are dozens of more effective movements to train your grips.

But again, the whole video was a joke, right?

If you think firefighters spend any amount of time crawling upside down under girders i really don't know what to say to you. Firefighters today go into "battle" wearing layers and layers of protective clothing and carrying heavy loads of fire fighting gear. Even climbing ladders and crawling around buildings with that weight on takes a shed load of conditioning.

Perhaps I oversimplified what I said in my first post. What I meant was that that "exercise," although it is quite comical and foolish, COULD be used to copy the exercise done by the firefighters in the second video.

Those guys never know what they find when they go in. So, yes, why not even doing that silly movement from time to time?(not regularly of course)

I have always been a firm believer of traditional exercises. I used to ridicule guys who did movements they seemed to have invented. But since I cancelled my gym membership for financial reason, I have started seeing the potential benefits of creative movements.

I'm no kipping fan, though. I don't like the business aspect of Crossfit, either.

If CF authorities justified the kipping as a means to make pullups more accessible to everyone, I'd understand why they don't use it for other exercises. But if they really believe it makes exercise more "functional" and increases power, I think they should incorporate them more as per the video.

Taku, The kipping squats did have me LOLing too, I just hope nobody takes it seriously and tries it with weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MuVsFKmrE

The "pull-up" starts at around 2:05. 106 reps.

While I was shocked at the cultic reaction of the crowd, I don't care much for the attitude of the guy commenting. Well, I might talk like that if I were there.

What are the, if there are any, benefits of using Kipping style?

I think that by "kipping" you could maximize the efficiency of your movements. Since that would go against the goal of strength/muscle building , anyone who wants to increase their muscle size and strength should stay away from it. It's a way of using what you have to the greatest advantage.

I've also seen Crossfitters do kipping handstand push-ups, kipping ring dips, kipping muscle-ups, and kipping push-ups. It really gets silly.