CTE/Brain Damage in MMA

Does anyone who trains daily or is pro actually worry about this? All the guts and glory, I love the sport of mma but I wonder if champions such a Robbie worry about this? I stopped training BJJ and just mma altogether after I started to forgot things easily and couldn't focus in school, just turned 20, so this was 2 years back.... The last two years of my life have been very uphill. Great gpa in school, have really excelled in the professional world, so I never took a fight. Wrestled most of my teen years and placed 2nd or 3rd in state ever other year and I miss it. Does that scare you at all? Is it worth it at the amateur level to go all out Phone Post 3.0

Nah. No one is worried about this issue. Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

Not to be a dick, but this is cage fighting. It comes with a big risk. If you're gonna participate you need to be OK wth that. There's no glove of helmet that's going to fix this problem. Fighting = brain damage and there's no way around it. Phone Post 3.0

Easters - Not to be a dick, but this is cage fighting. It comes with a big risk. If you're gonna participate you need to be OK wth that. There's no glove of helmet that's going to fix this problem. Fighting = brain damage and there's no way around it. Phone Post 3.0
It's never talked about, ever. Phone Post 3.0

I haven't been able to get my hands on medical journals but can one concussion alter the state of the brain?

Yes, I understand any damage to the brain can be harmful but how much damage would cause cte and maybe mental illness to follow? Phone Post 3.0

CloudSurfer - I haven't been able to get my hands on medical journals but can one concussion alter the state of the brain?

Yes, I understand any damage to the brain can be harmful but how much damage would cause cte and maybe mental illness to follow? Phone Post 3.0
About a year or 2 ago a younger ufc fighter ( who was in med school if I remember correctly) retired the day a study came out showing that subconcussive blows (aka softer hits that don't lead to concussions) still lead to cse and brain damage long term. Some people worry about it, but I'm sure most realize this is their biggest opportunity for fame and fortune and hope for the best. Phone Post 3.0

Easters - Not to be a dick, but this is cage fighting. It comes with a big risk. If you're gonna participate you need to be OK wth that. There's no glove of helmet that's going to fix this problem. Fighting = brain damage and there's no way around it. Phone Post 3.0

^^^This right here.

In the world of cage fighting, (professional and otherwise) competitors battle in a locked cage, while blood thirsty hillbillies and rednecks scream for blood and death. One has be OK with how their health is affected, if they so choose to be a part of this.

You don't see a whole lot of guys who have much of an earning potential, participating in the barbaric sport. You have mine workers, roofers, deep sea fishermen, all working very dangerous jobs (policemen too, not so dangerous, but very low entry barriers) in exchange for a quick buck. Cage fighters do it for even less money. One just died. The world's best woman athlete was beaten to a pulp and so emotionally traumatized, she was sent into hiding for months, only to emerge having put on significant weight and crying every time she was seen.

This is the bottom of the barrel of professional sports. If you cannot do anything else with your life, if you have failed out of everything, and you want to become a pro athlete, cage fighting is a pretty good option. But the trade off is going to be head injuries, drug use, and exploitation. And now they're even admitting women to these cage fight competition. Next I would expect children.

Yes OP, they know the risks.

OmegaPoon -
CloudSurfer - I haven't been able to get my hands on medical journals but can one concussion alter the state of the brain?

About a year or 2 ago a younger ufc fighter ( who was in med school if I remember correctly) retired the day a study came out showing that subconcussive blows (aka softer hits that don't lead to concussions) still lead to cse and brain damage long term. Some people worry about it, but I'm sure most realize this is their biggest opportunity for fame and fortune and hope for the best. Phone Post 3.0
I've taken a bit of damage to my head, a concussion or two, and many blows to the head. As I've gotten older the bi polar disorder I suffer from has intensified. Does this have an correlation to brain trauma? Phone Post 3.0

I've had 3 maybe 4 concussions, from being knocked out. When I was in my late teens early 20s I suffered anxiety and a form of depression called dystemia. Anyways I self medicated with alcohol alot and couldint stop drinking til there was no alcohol left . My out of control life style lead to me attempting to fight 3 bouncers in a strip club, only to wake up with a broken nose, and a head cut and scraped up, and shaped like the elephant man.

I've attempted to fight one of my best friends after drinking to the point I could barley stand one time it resulted in a broke nose and being KO'd another time I was just KO'd. Another time I got into it with a friend of a friend and got KO'd . It really took for me to have my kids to turn my life around for the better, unfortunately the memory issues started.

3 Years ago and probably 5 yrs since the last time I was knocked out I started to really notice I couldint remember things when I went back to school, simple instructions the instructor would give us I would literally forget everything not even 10 mins later when we would be practising what was just taught. I can't remember where I put my keys, cell, phone, and wallet like 4 or 5 times a day.

Today I had a traffic court ticket I was fighting , I had all my documents in my folder got my shoes, and my jacket on walked out the house with my son drove for 10 mins and then realized I forgot my folder that had everything I needed in it.

This sucks I had an apt with a neurologist, he did a memory test I scored a 27 out of 30, but he is sending me for a Mri two months from now just to make sure things are ok. I just hope it doesn't get any worst then what it is right now. Phone Post 3.0

CloudSurfer -
OmegaPoon -

I've taken a bit of damage to my head, a concussion or two, and many blows to the head. As I've gotten older the bi polar disorder I suffer from has intensified. Does this have an correlation to brain trauma? Phone Post 3.0
Possibly. My sister was a psychologist for the VA for a bit. She did a handwriting evaluation on her husband who played small-town Alabama football in highschool. Nothing serious, he had a couple typical hits but never lost consciousness or anything. Even he had measurable brain damage from her evaluation, and he's currently a super successful environmental engineer. The brain is a fragile instrument... Phone Post 3.0

OmegaPoon -
CloudSurfer -
OmegaPoon -

Possibly. My sister was a psychologist for the VA for a bit. She did a handwriting evaluation on her husband who played small-town Alabama football in highschool. Nothing serious, he had a couple typical hits but never lost consciousness or anything. Even he had measurable brain damage from her evaluation, and he's currently a super successful environmental engineer. The brain is a fragile instrument... Phone Post 3.0
I've been knocked unconscious a few times. First time it happened when I was in the 6th grade. Phone Post 3.0