Cubs - The 2019 thread

Did not see a thread so I started one for us. Frankly for me I think this is the best starting pitching I ever saw us bring into a season EVER. Plus, yea we can hit some too! Um, I think I F'in like it!

Jon Lester, Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana, Cole Hamels, & Yu Darvish (in no order)

Ben Zobrist, Kris Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Willson Contreras, Kyle Schwarber 

Time to eat/Chop

Plus for me I think we may need to find David Bote a starting position quick..........

IMO, this starting 5 isn't even as good as the ones from several years ago (which included a prime Arrieta). Historically, I'd gladly take Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux/Clement over this one.

Lester is past his prime (although still effective). Hendricks is coming off of a down year. Quintana has been consistently mediocre. Darvish is coming off a significant injury and struggled with inconsistency in Texas. Hamels has very mediocre stats over the last four or five seasons. I'm hoping he performs like he did after the trade, but some type of regression from that sample size is almost inevitable. In short, this is a solid rotation,but will take a good bit of luck to be dominant.

The back of the bullpen is also a serious concern. Are they really counting on Morrow to come back healthy? Can Edwards find the strike zone more often? Lot of questions.

The lineup looks good, but that was also the case last year. Good on paper, but never lived up to the hype. Baez was the only one who really exceeded expectations and several others had down years (Russell, Contreras, Bryant).

I'm expecting a winning season, but it's going to be tough to win the division.

In early to say 2019 World Champions. I think this is their year again. They are stacked. 

dnwsr - IMO, this starting 5 isn't even as good as the ones from several years ago (which included a prime Arrieta). Historically, I'd gladly take Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux/Clement over this one.

Lester is past his prime (although still effective). Hendricks is coming off of a down year. Quintana has been consistently mediocre. Darvish is coming off a significant injury and struggled with inconsistency in Texas. Hamels has very mediocre stats over the last four or five seasons. I'm hoping he performs like he did after the trade, but some type of regression from that sample size is almost inevitable. In short, this is a solid rotation,but will take a good bit of luck to be dominant.

The back of the bullpen is also a serious concern. Are they really counting on Morrow to come back healthy? Can Edwards find the strike zone more often? Lot of questions.

The lineup looks good, but that was also the case last year. Good on paper, but never lived up to the hype. Baez was the only one who really exceeded expectations and several others had down years (Russell, Contreras, Bryant).

I'm expecting a winning season, but it's going to be tough to win the division.

Well Maddux was one of my favorite Cubs ever and I see an argument overall. I just don't agree as I see the potential here as much greater TBH.  I'd not bat an eyelash if 3 won 20. I think though (more important IMO) we have 3 'big game arms' here (Cole, Lester & Kyle = Playoff wins seem more sure IMO.

We'll feel free to disagree here......np

10 days till Texas. Expected starters = Lester VS Minor

We better be killing it this year.... if it comes down to a one game playoff with the fucking Brewers Im gonna cry. How embarrassing was that last year. The fucking Brewers...

Quintana and Hendrix need to step up to the next level. 

I think Bryant will have a nice bounceback year.

Wilson also needs to take a big step up with the bat. 

If they stay healthy they will have a good year. The  NL central might be the best in the majors. StL made some nice moves and Milwaukee showed out last year. The hard part is to do it again. No gimmes in this division anymore

PeoriaBJJ -

We better be killing it this year.... if it comes down to a one game playoff with the fucking Brewers Im gonna cry. How embarrassing was that last year. The fucking Brewers...

They're good man. They have that relief pitching & hitting. Frankly I don't see us stalling (like last year) as if our pitchers stay injury free (& I think they mostly will) I see us see us chopping up teams. I think we have BY FAR the most underrated staff in MLB. BTW U were the OP of the thread the last few years right? Why did U make me do it? "why you do this to me dimi?"

7) Cubs management challenged manager Joe Maddon to take a more hands-on approach this spring. How has that worked out?

Let’s not sugarcoat things. The Cubs declined to extend Maddon’s contract, while also announcing that they wanted him to take a different approach this spring. That’s pretty much the definition of putting a guy on notice. Lost amid this stuff is that the Cubs won 95 games last season despite Yu Darvish making eight starts, closer Brandon Morrow not pitching after the All-Star break and Kris Bryant missing 60 games. Some seasons, that kind of performance gets a guy Manager of the Year Award votes. But, yes, Maddon has taken a more hands-on approach this spring. More relevant is that Bryant and Darvish are healthy, which will make Maddon a better manager.

https://www.mlb.com/news/10-burning-mlb-questions-before-opening-day

Ah, Not his fault but we needed to beat him TOO to win the WS.

Lazer MMA - 

Did not see a thread so I started one for us. Frankly for me I think this is the best starting pitching I ever saw us bring into a season EVER.

Are you two years old?

Yu Darvish Doesn’t Want to Pee on Blister, Opting for Cream and Laser Instead

Yu Darvish left Tuesday’s game two outs into the 5th inning after throwing a slider and feeling something wrong with his right ring finger. He’d been a little off all afternoon, giving up five hits to a Mariners B-squad, but this was different.

As is often the case in the dry desert air, particularly with pitchers who throw a lot of breaking stuff, Darvish had developed a blister. And while that’s always something to be careful with, any team is going to exercise additional caution at this early juncture. 

The plan at this point is for Darvish to use cream and laser therapy, then play catch and maybe throw a bullpen session Thursday depending on how it feels. His teammates suggested a more homespun remedy, but the righty is opting to follow the advice of the training staff instead.

“Lot of guys told me…I’m not sure I can say it here, ‘Just pee on it,'” Darvish told Sahadev Sharma. “Well I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or what.

“I’m not going to do that. I don’t want to.”

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/03/19/yu-darvish-doesnt-want-to-pee-on-blister-opting-for-cream-and-laser-instead

In. Lets go Cubs!

IN NEED OF RELIEF

The bullpen has potential, but health is a major concern at the moment. Closer Brandon Morrow will miss the start of the season while he recovers from elbow surgery. Pedro Strop has been hampered by right hamstring trouble, and Tony Barnette and Xavier Cedeno also are dealing with injuries. Steve Cishek, Carl Edwards Jr. and newcomer Brad Brach could get plenty of work until reinforcements arrive from the disabled list. The 32-year-old Cishek had a 2.18 ERA in a career-high 80 appearances in his first year with Chicago. Brach had 12 saves and a 3.59 ERA in 69 games for Baltimore and Atlanta last season.

NEW FACES

The Cubs are hoping Daniel Descalso can provide some additional veteran leadership after he agreed to a $5 million, two-year contract in December. The utility infielder hit .238 with a career-best 13 homers and 57 RBIs in 138 games with Arizona last season.

LOOKING GOOD

Jon Lester, Yu Darvish, Cole Hamels, Kyle Hendricks and Jose Quintana form what could be baseball's deepest rotation. Lester went 18-6 last year with a 3.32 ERA. Darvish missed most of his first season with Chicago because of injuries, but looked much better this spring. Hamels provided a big lift after he was acquired in a July trade with Texas, and Hendricks and Quintana also are consistent performers.

JAVY TIME

Javier Baez is coming off a breakout season , becoming one of baseball's biggest stars. The slugger hit .290 with 34 homers and an NL-high 111 RBIs while playing his usual stellar defense all around the infield. Producing a similar year could be a tough task

https://beatricedailysun.com/maddon-cubs-looking-to-rebound-from-disappointing-finish/article_dc58a0a0-2490-5063-a5d9-cde13ec53ace.html

Go Cubs Go

Lazer MMA - 

Yu Darvish Doesn’t Want to Pee on Blister, Opting for Cream and Laser Instead

Yu Darvish left Tuesday’s game two outs into the 5th inning after throwing a slider and feeling something wrong with his right ring finger. He’d been a little off all afternoon, giving up five hits to a Mariners B-squad, but this was different.

As is often the case in the dry desert air, particularly with pitchers who throw a lot of breaking stuff, Darvish had developed a blister. And while that’s always something to be careful with, any team is going to exercise additional caution at this early juncture. 

The plan at this point is for Darvish to use cream and laser therapy, then play catch and maybe throw a bullpen session Thursday depending on how it feels. His teammates suggested a more homespun remedy, but the righty is opting to follow the advice of the training staff instead.

“Lot of guys told me…I’m not sure I can say it here, ‘Just pee on it,'” Darvish told Sahadev Sharma. “Well I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or what.

“I’m not going to do that. I don’t want to.”

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/03/19/yu-darvish-doesnt-want-to-pee-on-blister-opting-for-cream-and-laser-instead

Hopefully Darvish earns his money this year! Last year was pathetic from him

Makes me nervous to see how many teams in the NL improved this offseason while the Cubs stayed relatively quiet. Would liked to have seen them add a reliever and/or starter. Kimbrel and Kuechel are still out there. A fan can dream, right? 

That being said, go Cubbies!!!

Cubs Roster Is A Blend Of New And Old That Will Send Team On Another Postseason Ride

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertkuenster/2019/03/19/cubs-roster-is-a-blend-of-new-and-old-that-will-send-team-on-another-postseason-ride/#40089d9c3a2e

Cubs pitcher actually admits throwing at batter in spring training game

"after teammates Kris Bryant and Willson Contreras were hit by pitches earlier in the same game."

"

On the plus side for Edwards, the league typically comes down toughest on players when a situation escalates into something more than “baseball policing.” That doesn’t apply here.

On the down side, he admitted throwing at a batter. In a spring training game, no less. That’s not a good look for the player or the league, so a message might be sent. Time will tell, but honesty might not have been the best policy for Carl Edwards Jr."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cubs-pitcher-actually-admits-throwing-at-batter-in-spring-training-game-002257963.html

J. Quintana 6.0 4 1 1 0 6 1 1.80

Ininings, H, R, ER, BB, K, ERA (ST)

Today VS TX