Curious - those who gave Machida the edge

Give your reasoning with stats/analysis. I've watched the fight time and again but can't see myself giving Machida more than 1 round (2 by doing the impossible).I'm curious to hear your analysis of the fight.

*Edited for spelling

"To be the champ, you have to BEAT The champ."

(that's it in a nutshell)

Before the fight, I had Machida winning. Amazed that Shogun won. Pride Shogun is back! He did beat the champ.

Give a round per round analysis, what you said is rhetoric (no offense)

heres the stats, they dont have any logical reasoning

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

the whole "you got to really beat the champ" theory is retarded, I think we saw that with Forrest vs Rampage

Agreed Lurker... but want to see perhaps one of them can give a valid analysis?

"To be the champ, you have to BEAT The champ."

by Kocksuckio

Again useless post - the "champ" was beat tonight. Show me how you think he retained his title..

He wasn't ever significantly in danger of being finished at any time and he was being aggresive. Conventional wisdom suggests that  "To be the champ, you have to BEAT The champ."

:)

Was conventional wisdom on vacation when Forrest Griffin beat the champ Quinton Jackson on a SPLIT decision?

No that's a ridiculous statement. If the fight was even remotely close, I would agree to give the edge to Machida but in this case, Rua was taking most rounds (arguably all of them).

Machida was moving backward and was being beaten at the exception of a few exchanges.

I scored it a draw bc I don't think fighters should win rounds by landing 1 or 2 more leg kicks. I thought every round except rounds 3 and 4 were close and could have gone either way. I could see Machida getting rounds 1,2, and 3 if the judges had to give a winner for each round.

Machida landed the bigger shots. He hit Shogun with 5+ absolutely vicious knees to the body and many more head and body shots. Most times Shogun would throw a leg kick, Machida would counter with a straight that landed most of the time. Aside from occasional potshot elbows and knees, Shogun really only landed leg kicks and shitty jumping body kicks that were really just slapping kicks that didn't do much damage. Anyone who does muay thai will tell you those types of jumping kicks generate less power than grounded kicks.

glassjawed - I scored it a draw bc I don't think fighters should win rounds by landing 1 or 2 more leg kicks. I thought every round except rounds 3 and 4 were close and could have gone either way. I could see Machida getting rounds 1,2, and 3 if the judges had to give a winner for each round.

Machida landed the bigger shots. He hit Shogun with 5+ absolutely vicious knees to the body and many more head and body shots. Most times Shogun would throw a leg kick, Machida would counter with a straight that landed most of the time. Aside from occasional potshot elbows and knees, Shogun really only landed leg kicks and shitty jumping body kicks that were really just slapping kicks that didn't do much damage. Anyone who does muay thai will tell you those types of jumping kicks generate less power than grounded kicks.

Shogun landed a few very strong right hands, a left, vicious kicks which were far more damaging than any knee coming from Machida.

I don't see it, sorry.

glassjawed - I scored it a draw bc I don't think fighters should win rounds by landing 1 or 2 more leg kicks. I thought every round except rounds 3 and 4 were close and could have gone either way. I could see Machida getting rounds 1,2, and 3 if the judges had to give a winner for each round.

You honestly did not watch the fight