Curved TV's

Does it make that big of an improvement? Phone Post 3.0

"Yes"

-Ray J

No, they just run out of ideas.

I'd like to know too. Anyone seen an ultra high Def curved TV?

/'-\
                     .- =  -.      /  "
  _     .- ' -.   .'   _      '.   | .-\oo)
(   \ / .-.  \ /  .'   '.     \/     |
^~`~^~`~^~`~^~^~`^~^~`^

Absolutely not.  Curved screens are applicable for sizes like in IMAX theaters.  It's a recent gimmick to differentiate themselves in the TV market.  It actually hurts the image unless you are dead in front of it.  It reduces your viewing angle.

Soup and Beer -

Absolutely not.  Curved screens are applicable for sizes like in IMAX theaters.  It's a recent gimmick to differentiate themselves in the TV market.  It actually hurts the image unless you are dead in front of it.  It reduces your viewing angle.

Thanks Phone Post 3.0

I don't see the point.

I have seen one in person and I was blown away. Its not overly curved.

i can think of a hell of a lot of things i can do with the $9000 they cost

Jack Taufer - I have seen one in person and I was blown away. Its not overly curved.

You were likely impressed by factors that had nothing to do with the curved screen.

David Katzimaeir of CNET got sent the Samsung 65" curved panel for review.  After spending a few days with it, his conclusion is that it added nothing to the viewing experience but didn't really detract anything either.  It was basically a wash.

http://www.cnet.com/news/my-life-with-a-curved-tv-day-1/

Philip Proctor - 

I don't see the point.

I do.

It's that the industry is flat out of upgrade ideas to sell in the consumerist market.

SD to HD was a legit upgrade. 720p to 1080p (full high def) was noticeable for some.

3D was an utter fucking flop.

But right now, they have nothing to offer and are reaching even harder. The original plan was to move toward OLED screens, but after a lot of time trying, the plan has basically been abandoned, as it has basically been proven impossible to scale them to large sizes. Affordable large OLED screens have basically been two years away for the last five years.

Instead of something that had a tangible benefit (OLED), they have settled for 4K as the next "must have" upgrade. Short of 70+ inch screens viewed inside of 7 feet (not a good idea anyway), there is absolutely no benefit to the consumer.

File curved screens in the same category.

^^ This man knows.

Yea, most don't realize that 4K and curved screens were never Plan A.  It was all about OLED and rightfully so.  Just too many obstacles to overcome to bring it out of a nich market.  Manufacturers were pouring billions down the drain with little progress.

MDF tm - Is it a slight upward curve? Phone Post 3.0

My cousin works for panasonic in technology sales, he said the arse has fallen out of the tv market because most people have now bought a big lcd or plasma tv.
Enter new gimmick to try and drive sales back up.

Personally I have a 5yr old samsung lcd that I have already fixed myself once that I will keep till it blows up. Phone Post 3.0

Hauntedmemory - My cousin works for panasonic in technology sales, he said the arse has fallen out of the tv market because most people have now bought a big lcd or plasma tv.
Enter new gimmick to try and drive sales back up.

Personally I have a 5yr old samsung lcd that I have already fixed myself once that I will keep till it blows up. Phone Post 3.0

The two new techs that show a lot of promise are the upcoming 3D tech that doesnt require glasses, and for me, the new Dolby HDR tech.  Easier to google that since it's kind of hard to explain.

Soup and Beer -

Installed the 65" samsung one at a customers house a couple of weeks ago and can assure you all that this man speaks the truth. Phone Post 3.0

MDF tm - How are HPV screens compared to HSV ? Phone Post 3.0

we are talking about LCD/OLED panels, not herpes viruses.

It's a gimmick.

Just get a 64" Samsung F8500 for much cheaper and wall mount it for 40 bucks.

You can watch it from any angle.

I predict the next biggest leap in television will be small projectors whose quality comes close to a nice 1080p flat screen. A nice small small box that is wall mountable perhaps and projects the image directly above itself instead of having to be ceiling mounted far away. Phone Post 3.0

JudoknowNothing - Does it make that big of an improvement? Phone Post 3.0
"Yes"
- TV screens from 1926-1999 Phone Post 3.0