Cyborg ducking Gomes, has not earned title shot

For the last year, #1 contender Brazilian Edaine Gomes has been calling for a fight with Cyborg. On June 6th, Invicata announced Cyborg v Gomes would fight for the 145 title in ther next fights. Cyborg said she would only move to 135 after she defended her title at 145: "A title defense can only be at 145," Cyborg said. "For my next fight (after Gomes), we’re working on my debut at 135 pounds."

Cyborg subsequently stated that she would vacate her 145 title rather than defend it against Gomes and that she would instead move to 135 for her next fight. Gomes said she was happy to fight Cyborg at 135, but Cyborg refused this as well. Now Cyborg is scheduled to make her 135 debut against the formidable "TBA", while Gomes has given up on trying to get Cyborg to honor her previous commitments to their fight and will face Tonya Evinger at Invicta FC 8 at 135.

Cyborg is semi-retired and has only had 3 MMA fights in the last 4 years (incl her 1 year suspension for roids). She has not defended her title once in the last year, during which Rousey make 3 defenses against top 5 opponents.

It would help Cyborg to eventually earn a title shop against Rousey if she had a far more convincing win against a common opponent. This would be a difficult task with Gomes, a bjj black belt, as Rousey submitted her in 25 seconds in Ronda's pro debut.

Cyborg has been ducking Gomes and other credible opponents and has done nothing to earn a title shot with Rousey in over a year, much less to have to fight under rigorous steriod testing in a division she has never competed in.

2013 http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Cris-Cyborg-Signs-with-Invicta-FC-Debuts-April-5-Against-Ediane-Gomes-50119

2014 http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/6/5786954/invicta-fc-champion-cris-cyborg-to-defend-title-against-ediane-gomes

I don't know about ducking. But Gomes is a beast and Evinger does not belong in the cage with her. I don't know what Invicta was thinking. Phone Post 3.0

She's moving to fight Ronda Rousey. It's a good business move. If Gomez was a bigger name Cyborg would fight her. After watching Cyborg fight Muay Thai and destroy in MMA, I'm sure she will fight anyone. Phone Post 3.0

Ch1ef - I don't know about ducking. But Gomes is a beast and Evinger does not belong in the cage with her. I don't know what Invicta was thinking. Phone Post 3.0

I think you're vastly underestimating Tonya Evinger, who last I saw wrecked Sarah D'Alelio. Also, Gomes is good but she's only the current top Featherweight contender is because 145 is so damn shallow. I give Gomes roughly 3:2 odds here.

After not fighting MMA for a year and never defending her 145 title, the "anyone" that Cyborg is fighting is "TBA". Gomes shows that Cyborg's inactivity is not due to a lack of credible potential opponents, much less some myth that no one want to fight her.

Cyborg signed by UFC to fight Rousey, quits UFC. Cyborg signed by Invitca to fight Gomes a year and half ago, never does and vacates title. Cyborg has wins over only 2 credible opponents in her entire career, Gina and Coennen.

Meanwhile, Ronda's many detractors here wrongly accuse her of everything that Cyborg has done. Roids - Ronda tested continually since qualified for the Olympics at 17. Opponents - UFC "protecting" Rousey from opponents such a McMann and Davies,until signed and smashed in R1. Career - every fight is supposedly Rousey's last, until she films a few movies and fights again a couple of months later.

I agree that all this is simply business. Cyborg has basically retired. She is trying to promote herself into a fight with Rousey that she does not deserve for one last pay day before she retires altogether.

I think Cyborgs management knows if she doesn't beat Gomez impressively she doesn't have a good case for a shot at Rousey. Unless Cyborg can finish her in under 30 seconds them she has nothing to gain. Phone Post 3.0

Koga - After not fighting MMA for a year and never defending her 145 title, the "anyone" that Cyborg is fighting is "TBA". Gomes shows that Cyborg's inactivity is not due to a lack of credible potential opponents, much less some myth that no one want to fight her.

Cyborg signed by UFC to fight Rousey, quits UFC. Cyborg signed by Invitca to fight Gomes a year and half ago, never does and vacates title. Cyborg has wins over only 2 credible opponents in her entire career, Gina and Coennen.

Meanwhile, Ronda's many detractors here wrongly accuse her of everything that Cyborg has done. Roids - Ronda tested continually since qualified for the Olympics at 17. Opponents - UFC "protecting" Rousey from opponents such a McMann and Davies,until signed and smashed in R1. Career - every fight is supposedly Rousey's last, until she films a few movies and fights again a couple of months later.

I agree that all this is simply business. Cyborg has basically retired. She is trying to promote herself into a fight with Rousey that she does not deserve for one last pay day before she retires altogether.

Cyborg was supposed to fight Gomes at Invict FC 5 but Gomes got injured. Gomes was supposed to fight at Invicta FC 6 but her opponent got injured. Cyborg vs Gomes wasn't scheduled for Invicta FC 7 because they already had two title fights on the card. After that Invicta didn't have an event because they were trying to find a tv partner and now that they have a partner won't have a card on Fightpass until September.

Invicta hold an event once every 6-9 months and FC 7 was too stacked of a card to add Cyborg v Gomes? Cyborg has been saying she would fight Gomes for a year and half, the fight was even announced again last month. After the announcement, Cyborg changed her mind again and said she would vacate her title and go to 135 right away. Gomes said she was happy to fight Cyborg at 135.

Now Gomes is fighting at 135 in Sept and Cyborg, who has spent the last year doing press conferences and not fighting, will not make her 135 debut until 2015 at the earliest (if it happens at all).

Chromium -
Ch1ef - I don't know about ducking. But Gomes is a beast and Evinger does not belong in the cage with her. I don't know what Invicta was thinking. Phone Post 3.0

I think you're vastly underestimating Tonya Evinger, who last I saw wrecked Sarah D'Alelio. Also, Gomes is good but she's only the current top Featherweight contender is because 145 is so damn shallow. I give Gomes roughly 3:2 odds here.

Tonya won that fight but I don't remember it being that dominant. She seems small for 135. I may be wrong, but I feel like this is going to be horribly lopsided. Phone Post 3.0

If you're 145lbs or 135lbs and a female fighter, you should be trying to get to the UFC and beat rousey. End of story Phone Post 3.0

Koga - Invicta hold an event once every 6-9 months and FC 7 was too stacked of a card to add Cyborg v Gomes? Cyborg has been saying she would fight Gomes for a year and half, the fight was even announced again last month. After the announcement, Cyborg changed her mind again and said she would vacate her title and go to 135 right away. Gomes said she was happy to fight Cyborg at 135.

Now Gomes is fighting at 135 in Sept and Cyborg, who has spent the last year doing press conferences and not fighting, will not make her 135 debut until 2015 at the earliest (if it happens at all).

Like I already said they had 2 title fights on the Invicta 7 card already, it would have been silly for them to add a third. After that Invicta didn't have the money to put on another card without a tv deal which is why they delayed their Invicta FC8 card on several occasions. As for fighting at 135 Cyborg has been saying for a long time she was making the cut by the end of 2014.

58miles -
Koga - Invicta hold an event once every 6-9 months and FC 7 was too stacked of a card to add Cyborg v Gomes? Cyborg has been saying she would fight Gomes for a year and half, the fight was even announced again last month. After the announcement, Cyborg changed her mind again and said she would vacate her title and go to 135 right away. Gomes said she was happy to fight Cyborg at 135.

Like I already said they had 2 title fights on the Invicta 7 card already, it would have been silly for them to add a third. After that Invicta didn't have the money to put on another card without a tv deal which is why they delayed their Invicta FC8 card on several occasions. As for fighting at 135 Cyborg has been saying for a long time she was making the cut by the end of 2014.

VU Phone Post 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-CmaRKVY0

Gomes fought an brazilian male who was a purple belt and vale tudo fighter. She won. For this reason I think Cyborg will avoid fighting her.

"As for fighting at 135 Cyborg has been saying for a long time she was making the cut by the end of 2014."

58miles, how is that coming along? On track for the end of 2016 now?

Koga,

As you are well aware, Cris was legitimately injured towards the end of 2014 Please check her Instagram for evidence. I say this respectfully but why would Cris be ducking Ediane when Ediane a BB in BJJ was taken to a decision by, and  I mean no disrespect, Raquel who was  4-4 at the time and tapped out by Evinger?

Ediane is now on a two fight losing streak and one of the fighters who defeated her, Evinger said she would need to renegotiate her invicta contract if she has to fight Cris. Cris is currently looking for an opponent for 140lbs, in my opinion, this is the time for Ediane to campaign for the fight she has wanted since last year

Thanks Sunkist, I will not repeat my posts on the WMMA thread, suffice it to note that Gomes offered to fight Cyborg at either 135 or 145. Both fighters said that they intended to move to the more competitive 135 division after their scheduled fight at 145 last year, only Gomes has done so.

Does Cyborg have an opponent for the purported "catch weight" fight next month? Has Invicta not even offered this fight to anyone? I appreciate that its not the UFC, but find your suggestion extraordinary that Invicta are going to select Cyborg's opponent on the basis of which fighters say on social media that they would be interested.

SUnkist is remarkable. Ronda says she is going to go after Cyborg's 145 title and then goes to 135 to gain experience: Proof Ronda is scared (even to this day). Cyborg says she is going to defend her title against Gomes, never does, moves to 140 and 135, still not fighting Gomes: Cyborg is the greatest.

Koga - Thanks Sunkist, I will not repeat my posts on the WMMA thread, suffice it to note that Gomes offered to fight Cyborg at either 135 or 145. Both fighters said that they intended to move to the more competitive 135 division after their scheduled fight at 145 last year, only Gomes has done so.

Does Cyborg have an opponent for the purported "catch weight" fight next month? Has Invicta not even offered this fight to anyone? I appreciate that its not the UFC, but find your suggestion extraordinary that Invicta are going to select Cyborg's opponent on the basis of which fighters say on social media that they would be interested.

Koga,

I am not sure what you are expecting considering Ediane has not been vocal about taking a fight with Cris at 140. Cindy Dandois a Judo black belt has a win over Coenen and was 2/3 months pregnant when she beat Jorina Baar who beat Cris in MT has expressed an interest in fighting Cris and admits she is scared of her. Meisha Tate has also expressed an interest in fighting Cris and said recently she knows Cris will beat her but she will try anyway. Tonya Evinger said she would need to renegotiate her contract to fight Cris and admits she wouldn't be able to "kick Cris Cyborgs butt' but they will have a good fight. I don't recall anyone else stepping up

orcus - SUnkist is remarkable. Ronda says she is going to go after Cyborg's 145 title and then goes to 135 to gain experience: Proof Ronda is scared (even to this day). Cyborg says she is going to defend her title against Gomes, never does, moves to 140 and 135, still not fighting Gomes: Cyborg is the greatest.

Hello Orcus,

How are you today :)