Dad confronts kidnapper, saves 5-year-old daughter

Utah father confronts kidnapper, saves 5-year-old daughter

A Utah dad foiled an attempt to kidnap his young daughter from her bed early Friday after confronting a man carrying her across the lawn.

The 5-year-old girl wasn't hurt in the frightening experience, but the incident has evoked haunting echoes of when 14-year-old Elizabeth Smart was snatched out of her Salt Lake City bedroom in 2002. She was held captive for nine months before being found.

The suspect in this case entered the home through an unlocked door or window about 4:30 a.m. in Sandy, a middle-class suburb south of Salt Lake City, Police Sgt. Dean Carriger said.

The intruder was in the family's basement searching through things when he came upon the girl sleeping in her bedroom, Carriger said. The suspect took her out of bed and carried her upstairs, making noises that woke the parents.

The girl's father went to the door and saw the man carrying his daughter in the front lawn. He ran outside and confronted the man, wrestling away his daughter.

The suspect then fled, and the father called 911.

Officers set up a perimeter, and with the help of police dogs, launched a search. The suspect went into a second home, where the residents heard him and called police.

Police captured the 46-year-old man outside that second home thanks to a police dog that bit the suspect in the upper shoulder, Carriger said.

The family told police they had never seen and don't know the suspect, who police have identified as Troy Morley of Roy, Utah. Police don't know yet why the suspect was in the house or if he had a planned it, Carriger said.

Morley is still at the hospital receiving medical treatment for the dog bite but is expected to be arrested later Friday and booked on charges of child kidnapping and burglary.

Police are still gathering details about the events, including how the father got his daughter back and if weapons were involved. Carriger said the family is doing pretty well considering what happened.

"It obviously was a very scary, traumatic situation," Carriger said. "The sanctity of our home is huge and for somebody to enter that and grab your child, it's got to be one of the worst nightmares a parent could face. . . If those parents were not awakened to go out and investigate, he could have easily left undetected with the girl."

So glad that dad was there in time Phone Post 3.0

Glad to hear the girl was saved. I really hope the kidnapper got his ass kicked in. Phone Post 3.0

So his "confrontation" involved grabbing the kid back and letting the dude fuck off? That seems fairly lax considering the circumstances, that's like:

Father: HEY, GIVE ME BACK MY KID!

Creepozoid: no.

Father wrestles the girl from the strangers arms

Father: NOW GET OUT OF HERE AND DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

If that were my kid, I'd be sodomizing that dude with an axe handle right on the front lawn. Phone Post 3.0

Good thing he grabbed his daughter, disappointed he didn't grab the fucker too, he would have been in for a beating Phone Post 3.0

It's hard to put yourself in that situation, but I imagine more than "wrestling" would ensue if I saw this happening. Dude would have no teeth left.

Phone Post 3.0

dude probably grabbed his kid and ran back to the house

which is actually the smarter move

better than risking getting KTFO and losing the kid again... or having the child hurt in the scuffle

now... if he was armed with anything he should have just finished him right there... no jury in America would convict

Dude has to many fingernails for starters

Why didn't the dad shoot the bastard?

john76 - dude probably grabbed his kid and ran back to the house

which is actually the smarter move

better than risking getting KTFO and losing the kid again... or having the child hurt in the scuffle

now... if he was armed with anything he should have just finished him right there... no jury in America would convict

This IMO.  I think we forget that we are on an mma forum and most people train.  The dad could have tackled the guy and got his daughter from him and the guy could have run off.  Yes, everyone would like to knock the guys teeth out but getting the kid back is the most important part.

At least he got bit by a K-9 Phone Post 3.0

I think at that point the priority would be making sure your daughter is ok and safe, not bolting off down the street after the suspect in the middle of the night. Phone Post 3.0

Fake Pie - Why didn't the dad shoot the bastard?
Utah=Mormons. They are the kindest people in the United States. I'm surprised that after getting the child back that they didn't invite him back in to try and talk about their faith.

Obviously I'm joking, but the father did the right thing. In all likelihood, the father's main concern was to get his child back and into the house ASAP where they were safe, then immediately call the police if his wife didn't already call them while he was saving his daughter. Also, I don't know how big the father was, but the guy in that picture seems to be pretty big (I could be wrong). If the father is in fact a Mormon, he very well might have never gotten into a fight before, better to be safe than sorry.

Last thing, I know that many people find the religion itself kind of crazy, but I've yet to meet a Mormon that was an asshole. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but if i'm strictly trying to save my child and I don't own a weapon, I very well may have done the same exact thing. Phone Post 3.0

I doubt I would have even stopped to grab a weapon

I'd be running down the street in my freakin boxers barefoot

I invited some Mormons into my home once and they were actually really nice people so that's certainly believable, it's a goddamn shame. Phone Post 3.0

everyone should have a dog. doesn't have to be a cane corso, but a dog that is protective of your kids and suspicious of strangers.

no way this happens to a family with a dog.

ashleigh11 - everyone should have a dog. doesn't have to be a cane corso, but a dog that is protective of your kids and suspicious of strangers.

or even just a dog that wakes everyone up

a little yorkie cold do that

this guy was in the house for a while snooping around and the parents didn't wake up till he had the kid

I don't depend on my dog to protect anything. I never trained him to do it... But, if he's barking it always alarms me. Mainly because he's usually quiet.... and/or asleep.

big lazy mastiff

john76 - 
ashleigh11 - everyone should have a dog. doesn't have to be a cane corso, but a dog that is protective of your kids and suspicious of strangers.

or even just a dog that wakes everyone up

a little yorkie cold do that

this guy was in the house for a while snooping around and the parents didn't wake up till he had the kid

I don't depend on my dog to protect anything. I never trained him to do it... But, if he's barking it always alarms me. Mainly because he's usually quiet.... and/or asleep.

big lazy mastiff

What situations do you usually find when he's barking?

justice will be served further upon this fellow when he gets in prison and is identified as a child predator