Dad confronts kidnapper, saves 5-year-old daughter

GenErick - 
john76 - 
ashleigh11 - everyone should have a dog. doesn't have to be a cane corso, but a dog that is protective of your kids and suspicious of strangers.

no way this happens to a family with a dog.

or even just a dog that wakes everyone up

a little yorkie cold do that

this guy was in the house for a while snooping around and the parents didn't wake up till he had the kid

I don't depend on my dog to protect anything. I never trained him to do it... But, if he's barking it always alarms me. Mainly because he's usually quiet.... and/or asleep.

big lazy mastiff

What situations do you usually find when he's barking?

His bed is in my foyer. If he's barking it's usually a stranger that's never been here.

he barks at other dogs walking in front of my house- or - strangers that are afraid/uncomfortable. Mailman knows him so he doesn't care. Utility guy knows him (PSE&G) so he doesn't care when he comes in to read the meter.

I honestly think that if you had some balls and could read dogs you could probably walk in my house as a complete stranger and get my dog to leave with you if you grabbed his leash.

My older sons friends walk right in my house and he doesn't even bother to wake up.

but for some reason if someone is fearful he jumps right up and starts bullying the shit out of them and I have to put him away or in the back yard.

Vulva Fabulous -
Fake Pie - Why didn't the dad shoot the bastard?
Utah=Mormons. They are the kindest people in the United States. I'm surprised that after getting the child back that they didn't invite him back in to try and talk about their faith.

Obviously I'm joking, but the father did the right thing. In all likelihood, the father's main concern was to get his child back and into the house ASAP where they were safe, then immediately call the police if his wife didn't already call them while he was saving his daughter. Also, I don't know how big the father was, but the guy in that picture seems to be pretty big (I could be wrong). If the father is in fact a Mormon, he very well might have never gotten into a fight before, better to be safe than sorry.

Last thing, I know that many people find the religion itself kind of crazy, but I've yet to meet a Mormon that was an asshole. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, but if i'm strictly trying to save my child and I don't own a weapon, I very well may have done the same exact thing. Phone Post 3.0
Lol I read that as Utah=Morons.

Sorry. Carry on Phone Post 3.0

disbeliever - It's easy to arm chair quarterback what the dad did, and be internet tough guys. I think everyone, myself included, would love to kick in the dudes teeth.

He saved his kid and got her away from the man. Good for him and so glad he got there in time.
No kidding. Rescue your daughter and get her to safety before your bust out the Liam Neeson treatment.

The scenario could easily play out with dad trying to tee off on the kidnapper who then pulls out a weapon and stabs/shoots them both. Phone Post 3.0

That bastard went about his evil deeds barefoot???

Rot you scum!!!

Edit: I just realized it was after he was out of the hospital. Still strange

I am so fucking paranoid nowadays, I'm gonna need some fucking home security & guns, quick.

john76 - 
GenErick - 
john76 - 
ashleigh11 - everyone should have a dog. doesn't have to be a cane corso, but a dog that is protective of your kids and suspicious of strangers.

this guy was in the house for a while snooping around and the parents didn't wake up till he had the kid

I don't depend on my dog to protect anything. I never trained him to do it... But, if he's barking it always alarms me. Mainly because he's usually quiet.... and/or asleep.

big lazy mastiff

His bed is in my foyer. If he's barking it's usually a stranger that's never been here.

he barks at other dogs walking in front of my house- or - strangers that are afraid/uncomfortable. Mailman knows him so he doesn't care. Utility guy knows him (PSE&G) so he doesn't care when he comes in to read the meter.

I honestly think that if you had some balls and could read dogs you could probably walk in my house as a complete stranger and get my dog to leave with you if you grabbed his leash.

My older sons friends walk right in my house and he doesn't even bother to wake up.

but for some reason if someone is fearful he jumps right up and starts bullying the shit out of them and I have to put him away or in the back yard.

You underestimate your dog and his inherent protective nature. Mastiffs are laid back, and will read a situation based on your vibe and body language.

^I said mastiff... he's a presa canario

I always say mastiff because people usually don't know what he is

GenErick - 
john76 - 

big lazy mastiff

we have a 65# female lab. her size is not intimidating in the least, but she causes quite a racket when she's unsure of the situation.

besides being a great pointer/retriever she's a great protector of the kids. we live in the city and she plants herself between the kids playing in the back yard and the sidewalk fence. she lets males and other dogs know she's there when they walk by. usually just woofs and walks the other side of the fence from them, but occasionally she'll raise her hackles and show her teeth.

she usually just woofs when the mailman opens the mailbox, but will wake up the neighborhood if she doesn't recognize the sound of the car door or the person at the door. like john, i never trained her to protect, she just lets us know when someone's outside the house, and lets people at the door know there's a dog inside.

Btw, I didn't mean to suggest that a dog isn't a key deterrent in home invasions. I wish I could have a dog right now.

hudd -
disbeliever - It's easy to arm chair quarterback what the dad did, and be internet tough guys. I think everyone, myself included, would love to kick in the dudes teeth.

He saved his kid and got her away from the man. Good for him and so glad he got there in time.
No kidding. Rescue your daughter and get her to safety before your bust out the Liam Neeson treatment.

The scenario could easily play out with dad trying to tee off on the kidnapper who then pulls out a weapon and stabs/shoots them both. Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. Dad did the right thing. Got the girl, ensured her safety.
No sense trying to be Rambo and getting shanked, or even just getting KOed and the guy grabbing her again while you are napping and disappearing to his can for some rape-rape. Phone Post 3.0

honestly, with level head..I would hope I would have the awareness this dad had

I think I would probably see red and be crying hysterically AND violent

it takes actual methodical thinking to make the decision to forego harming this dude in favor of getting your kid to safety

Eggbert - 
IDOHARM - So his "confrontation" involved grabbing the kid back and letting the dude fuck off? That seems fairly lax considering the circumstances, that's like:

Father: HEY, GIVE ME BACK MY KID!

Creepozoid: no.

Father wrestles the girl from the strangers arms

Father: NOW GET OUT OF HERE AND DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

If that were my kid, I'd be sodomizing that dude with an axe handle right on the front lawn. Phone Post 3.0
Its Utah. Salt lake is like 99.99% Mormon. Non violent people. I personally would have skinned the dude alive, hit him with some slo mo then tossed him off my balcony. Phone Post 3.0

Its not all Mormons in Utah. Mormon population for all of Utah is just under 60%. The Mormon population of Salt Lake City is probably between 40-50%.

john76 - ^I said mastiff... he's a presa canario

I'm a proponent of mastiff/Molosser breeds, and I'm familiar with Presas. If your dog is pushed, he will react. Presas have been involved in numerous serious and/or fatal attacks. They dislike strangers, and will react very harshly if owners and their families seem frightened or threatened.

IronHands - 
john76 - ^I said mastiff... he's a presa canario

I'm a proponent of mastiff/Molosser breeds, and I'm familiar with Presas. If your dog is pushed, he will react. Presas have been involved in numerous serious and/or fatal attacks. They dislike strangers, and will react very harshly if owners and their families seem frightened or threatened.

I know... I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

I've had the dog I had prior to this one tested and she was all cool but hid behind me with pressure from the decoy(same line, same breeder).

My logic is... this dog is big and scary looking and a mush with actual family/friends... that's enough for me. He's black brindle and 120lbs. He looks more like a Neo than a presa.

if he actually does protect when pressed, that's just a bonus

I'm sure after a few months of jail time and counseling he will have learned the error of his ways and become a valuable asset to his community. Phone Post 3.0