Daley transported to hospital after missing weight

Bellator 247 main event canceled

Bellator has a new main event for its first card on CBS Sports Network after the cancellation of Paul Daley vs. Derek Anderson.

Daley was aiming for his third straight victory in the circular cage at Thursday night’s Bellator 247 in Milan, Italy, but neither fighter showed up for the weigh-ins. Bellator confirmed that Daley missed weight by 2.6 pounds and was then transported to a local hospital. Gareth A Davies first reported the news.

“Paul Daley weighed in at 172.6 during the official window,” a Bellator statement read. “He was unable to make it to the stage during the ceremonial weigh-ins shortly after and was subsequently transported. Fight is off and we will have a a new main event shortly.”

According to an Instagram post from Daley, he’d informed Bellator that he was going to miss weight and did not initially think that the fight would be canceled (shortly after news broke that the fight was in jeopardy, Daley released a video saying the fight was on, but that statement has since been deleted). However, he was experiencing some ill effects from his weight cut that alarmed Bellator officials prior to the ceremonial weigh-ins.

Daley added that he asked to be taken to the hospital where he recovered and since he did not receive an IV, he believed it was still possible for his fight to proceed as scheduled, but this was not the case.

“No IV, fit to go, wanted to fight,” Daley said. “And then I’ve just heard that there’s no chance. Like I said, [what happened with the last part of the weight cut] is not unusual for professional fighters, it just normally takes place in our rooms with our team. It’s just unfortunate that it took place downstairs and that Bellator, CBS, and Sky Sports—even though I’m fit, I’m healthy, I’m 100 percent, no hospital treatment, ready to go right now—they don’t want to put the fight on. So I apologize.”

A flyweight bout between Kate Jackson and Bellator kickboxing champion Denise Kielholtz will now serve as the new main event.

I know it's fallen to the back burner due to covid etc but at some point this whole weight cutting issue has to be dealt with once and for all.

5 Likes
Captain Canuck -

I know it's fallen to the back burner due to covid etc but at some point this whole weight cutting issue has to be dealt with once and for all.

It will. When someone dies on a large enough stage like UFC.

2 Likes

They need to allow IV rehydration after a weight cut before someone dies.

4 Likes

There's always something with Daley. Unreliable and unprofessional

2 Likes

I disagree with just purely allowing IV as an answer. They need to regulate how much someone can safely cut and stop letting people cut insane amounts of weight by severely dehydrating themselves. IV allows quickly rehydrating, but it doesn’t stop the whole cutting process from happening. 

2 Likes
Steven McTowelie -
Captain Canuck -

It will. When someone dies on a large enough stage like UFC.

This

1 Like

Shitty new main event.

crowbar - Shitty new main event.

yuPPP

Mkk11 -

I disagree with just purely allowing IV as an answer. They need to regulate how much someone can safely cut and stop letting people cut insane amounts of weight by severely dehydrating themselves. IV allows quickly rehydrating, but it doesn’t stop the whole cutting process from happening. 

This.

There has to be a weight they meet after the cut but they should only be allowed to cut from a certain weight.

So, if you are fighting at 170, you need to make 170 but you should not be allowed to be more than 184 the night of the fight.

If you're a weight above the one you are fighting in, then fight there instead.

dinkledorf -

There's always something with Daley. Unreliable and unprofessional

1 Like

Bummer 

Captain Canuck -
Mkk11 -

This.

There has to be a weight they meet after the cut but they should only be allowed to cut from a certain weight.

So, if you are fighting at 170, you need to make 170 but you should not be allowed to be more than 184 the night of the fight.

Rather than that I would prefer hydration tests. I don’t want dehydrated fighters at far below their proper weight when they are fighting.

1 Like
Mkk11 - 

This

Unfortunate, innit bruv? 

Captain Canuck -

I agree. As someone from more of the boxing world. I got kind of disgusted with some weight being 3 lbs apart. But MMA havin 15-20 lb differences in weight is is insane, especially when it involves grappling. It’s a different sport. 

There needs to be a commission who’s going to say 10 lbs (at least) between weight />  None of this insanity is worth someone dying. Or for that matter dying in their late 50s early 60s and unsure who their kids are. 

Yea it’s a prize fight. But these fighters have made a tough wk at work easier when I get a solid PPV on Saturday. They deserve better. 

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -
Captain Canuck -
Mkk11 -

This.

Rather than that I would prefer hydration tests. I don’t want dehydrated fighters at far below their proper weight when they are fighting.

Absolutely this. Why are fighters being allowed to put themselves through this torture and deplete themselves before a contest. I can't understand why this hasn't already been adopted worldwide (I know One FC have already implemented this) 

Fighters can be at their absolute best and not have to kill themselves just to make the fight. They way I see it everybody wins this way.

I say let Connor McG die from weight cutting... It's his only way of regaining any honour... Like a viking sacrifice... We could burn him in a boat in the middle of the octagon...We'd probably need to pour on some of that whisky he makes, to get the flames going... 

Had no idea Bellator was having an event

BJTT-PattyHearst -

Had no idea Bellator was having an event

Because Dazn is a piece of shit and won’t be around much longer. 

They deserve to go under for the retarded name alone. I’m never not referring to it as “dazen”.