Damian Maia BJJ HL

love his game... alot of people say hes boring but honestly id rather have his game than 90% of bjj players out there....

Nice HL reel. He's got a tight, solid game.

He does have a great game. An easier game to emulate then some like braulio estima. braulio's crazy flexibility allows him to have a unique game. Damian style is grounded in the basics.

^ I don't know if I agree with that assessment of Braulio. He is athletic and has good movement and flexibility, but nothing like a Robert Drysdale or Bravo.Although I did see a clip where he was completely stacked, I mean crushed into a nearly horizonal layer, and he somehow reversed the guy. So yes he's flexible enough not to have his spine snap, but it's mostly skill and power to be able to flip a guy when he's smashed flat like that.

Demian is excellent. No specialized game, just solid all around. But he does like the single leg and its variations.

I never said that Braulio is not technical. In fact it is just the opposite,he is very technical, skilled and athletic. It is that not everyone can play his style of Jiu-Jitsu. You have to a similar body type. I do not see Jacare, Xande, Saulo or Damian playing Braulio's game. But a lot of people could play Damian's game.

I think all fighting is about body type... I think you can adapt to any martial art though.... you will be strong in some areas and weak in others, depending on your body type.

Great highlight and I like this guy. Great guard and a great fighter.

Interestingly, both in this highlight and in his last MMA fight, he didn't bother moving the arm across after locking in his triangles. He just focused on getting his foot completely under his knee and then pulling on the head.

What do you guys think about such a strategy? Why do you think it works so well?

If I were to guess I'd think that some people would tap out even though the arm wasn't across and your leg on his neck/back was a bit diagonal. And against guys who wouldn't tap after 10 seconds or so, maybe you could at least hold them in that position for a while and then suddenly work to improve the triangle, as opposed to try to fix your triangle right away when your opponent is going berserk (which can be difficult).

I think Eddie Bravo said, "Pull their head and count to 10 and they will tap at 8."

I also think he is the first person I heard say that he doesn't worry about where the arm is. 

Demian uses what he calls his Snake Guard alot....actually used it a lot against ed herman in the ufc. it will be featured on Demians new instructionals that will be out later this year.

" Demian uses what he calls his Snake Guard alot....actually used it a lot against ed herman in the ufc. it will be featured on Demians new instructionals that will be out later this year."

please explain the "Snake Guard" I saw someone else mention this in a previous post might have been you - is it the leg lock position or what?

On the right track.  it is a position demian uses a lot to set up many sweep and leg positions.  usually enters the snake guard from the butterfly with double under hooks. Instead of going to the side like you would for a sweep. he falls backwards and wraps (for example) his right leg around opponents left leg from the inside out.  His left leg in this case butterfly hooks the right leg of the opponent.

Sorry for my bad explaination.  It will be featured in the videos.  Demian obviously didnt invent the position but it is what he calls his trade mark.    Very good for taking the back, sweeping and setting up the legs.  The set ups he uses from there are very unique.

have you seen the herman fight he uses it a lot. If you watch the 2nd round of the fight Demian goes into the position when and florian calls it a butterfly transition.  (point of reference.)

again Demian doesnt claim to have invented this position just has developed very unique game from this positon.

much the same as Marcelo did with the X guard, or Bravo with the rubber guard.

marcovia -  On the right track.  it is a position demian uses a lot to set up many sweep and leg positions.  usually enters the snake guard from the butterfly with double under hooks. Instead of going to the side like you would for a sweep. he falls backwards and wraps (for example) his right leg around opponents left leg from the inside out.  His left leg in this case butterfly hooks the right leg of the opponent.
Sorry for my bad explaination.  It will be featured in the videos.  Demian obviously didnt invent the position but it is what he calls his trade mark.    Very good for taking the back, sweeping and setting up the legs.  The set ups he uses from there are very unique.
have you seen the herman fight he uses it a lot. If you watch the 2nd round of the fight Demian goes into the position when and florian calls it a butterfly transition.  (point of reference.)

just watched it this position the "snake guard" is similar to the leg lock sweep Marcelo showed me to set up a leg lock sweep or x-guard although since he uses the leg to butterfly hook the other its different nice variation ill def be interested when this dvd set comes out - any ideas on what else is on the rest of the set marcovia

qiksilver im sure Paul will kill me if i give away too much!  You will be happy with the set though.  If you havent picked up demian first set go for it.  It will really help out your game.

^One Legged X-Guard aka Footlook Guard, IMO...though "Snake Guard" does have a nice ring to it. :)  It was very cool to see Demian using that position to sweep in the UFC, as we were just training that in class last week!