Dan Hardy article from The Guardian (UK press)

Good stuff. Nothing too groundbreaking but good to see the mainstream media (and a good newspaper) getting him some coverage.

from The Guardian

"Dan Hardy might be accused of dreaming too big, but he would hardly agree. There aren't many in mixed martial arts with more confidence.

Whether or not that is wise is something the Nottingham fighter will discover in Newark, New Jersey, tomorrow night when he challenges one of his sport's legends, Georges St-Pierre, for a world title. It would be a first for the sport in Britain if Hardy came back with the UFC's belt.

He's quite a character. Hardy took up competitive fighting when he followed his 60-year-old grandfather to a taekwondo class and went on to win three British titles. He spent two months mulling over the meaning of life and legitimate violence with Shaolin monks in China and returned to study painting at Nottingham University. Those who have seen his art on the other canvas say he's pretty good.

Via ju-jitsu and kick boxing, Hardy ended up in MMA. I've only seen him fight once and he's an explosive, confident operator. The Americans will love him.

David Haye is a big fan. "Hardy has a great opportunity to shock the world on Saturday," he says. "He's a heavy underdog and very few people are giving him the chance, but I think he'll do himself and the country proud.

"I've been in the exact same position on foreign soil and it's all about self-belief. Dan is talented enough and has the tools to win the fight. He just needs to hold it together on the night and be fully confident of pulling off the win. Like me, I don't think Hardy has too many problems in the confidence department.

"I'm actually a big fan of both fighters. I really respect St-Pierre and his abilities as a fighter and athlete. He's one of the best pure athletes I've seen in any sport and is a more than worthy champion.

"Hardy is fun to watch and fun to listen to. He's exciting, powerful and dangerous. He's a fellow Brit, so that automatically means he gets my support. I'm also a sucker for the underdog and would love to see Hardy clinch an upset victory in America. If he was to become the first Brit to win a UFC title, I would consider it a major achievement and hope other people would see it that way, too.

"Hardy hasn't ducked or swerved his way to a title shot. He's taken risks, been the underdog a couple of times and come out smiling at the end of it all. Nobody has given him a chance and yet he's arrived with a title shot on his lap. It's difficult for any fighter to receive easy touches in the UFC – as they always seem to match their guys up tough – and Hardy is no exception. No matter what anyone says, Hardy more than deserves his shot.

"My dad was a martial artist back in the day and he taught me karate from an early age. I've always had an interest in combat sports since I was a little kid and, although boxing is my first love, I also follow mixed martial arts and the UFC.""

Link?

The Guardian always has MMA coverage, albeit only generally online, which is great as it's a very well respected broadsheet.

lol at "americans will love him"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/mar/26/bernard-hopkins-roy-jones-joe-calzaghe

Here's the link. Its about halfway down the page.

disbeliever - 

He can talk a lot
Does interviews
Has skills to win split decisions
Thinks he is a punk rocker in 2010

So what do you not like about him?

Fixed!

Guardian is an excellent paper, very well respected and very progressive and open.

Thank christ it doesnt have gareth davies writing for it.

epwar - 
disbeliever - 

He can talk a lot
Does interviews
Has skills to win split decisions
Thinks he is a punk rocker in 2010

So what do you not like about him?

Fixed!

lol

That sums that up nicely.

Oh, trust me, it's fixed. When one judge thinks you lost to Gono, something gotta be wrong! :-)

epwar - Oh, trust me, it's fixed. When one judge thinks you lost to Gono, something gotta be wrong! :-)

With the judge.

DROC

The Guardian is probably the only British newspaper worth reading.

JOB - The Guardian is probably the only British newspaper worth reading.

Second

Have you heard that the Times etc are all gonna charge for they're online newspapers?

The Guardian stands firm though!

BigBadWolfMedia - 
JOB - The Guardian is probably the only British newspaper worth reading.

Second

I remember the first few pages of The Sun were always interesting :) Used to sneak a look at them when I was a kid and over in the UK.

ttt