Dan Severn 100th Win?

EBM - He's accomplished too much in his career to be written off on claims that are still unconfirmed to this day. He's one of 8 members in The UFC Hall of Fame and no matter what anyone says, he will always be considered a legend of the sport. You can have an opinion about someone but don't bash a guy who's been doing this before some of you were old enough to drive.

My apologies, I thought we were discussing the Cannon.

EBM - He's accomplished too much in his career to be written off on claims that are still unconfirmed to this day. He's one of 8 members in The UFC Hall of Fame and no matter what anyone says, he will always be considered a legend of the sport. You can have an opinion about someone but don't bash a guy who's been doing this before some of you were old enough to drive.
First, you don't know how old I am, lol.  Second, do YOU really think that was a real fight in that video?  Just say that Dan came out and admitted to doing 5 works....would he still be as legendary as you claim?

Also, where exactly was a I "bashing?" 

Entire 2nd round or just the way it finished looks fishy?

jjj2121 - 

My apologies, I thought we were discussing the Cannon.

The Cannon is a much different and complex situation all together...

Frank,

I'm well aware you're old enough to know who Dan Severn is. And since you are, I'm starting to think this is yet another troll job on your behalf. Your hypothetical scenario of Severn doing 5 works has absolutely no place here. There is no evidence that it has ever been done. There is no opponent, ref, organization - nor Dan Severn himself admitted to such an accusation. And as someone has already said, there are likely 20-30 fights that are un-accounted for that should/could be on Severn's record.

What I don't appreciate is someone, as old as you (and a Mod for that matter), coming on here accusing Dan Severn of cheating the sport with no hard evidence. If you don't think that is fighter bashing than you really don't deserve the respect and status of having such a position on this forum. There are plenty of other respected and knowledgeable posters on here who would do your job 10 times better, with half the effort.

If a member with a 10 or 11 join date posted what you did, that account would have been frozen - and I'd put money on it.

Maybe it's time to grow up, Frank...

Monsieur Candie - frankiscool, you mad your boy Forrest got beat by Severn? Or was that fight a work?

Hahahaha!!  That's a little stretch don't you think?  That was 10 years ago and Forrest got like $400.  We even hung out and talked to Dan for over an hour.  One thing about that fight...Severn DID weigh over 260 lbs and Forrest was like 219 dressed.  Shoes were against the rules, but Dan had them on.  Again, Forrest had his first amateur fight 6 months before and Dan couldn't come close to passing or finishing, lol.   Forrest was starstruck to say the least. 

MC, are you saying that Dan has NEVER done a worked fight?   What about when him and Travis (alledgedly)agreed not to punch each other in the face?   Do you think that Shannon Ritch fight was 100% real?

EBM - Frank,

I'm well aware you're old enough to know who Dan Severn is. And since you are, I'm starting to think this is yet another troll job on your behalf. Your hypothetical scenario of Severn doing 5 works has absolutely no place here. There is no evidence that it has ever been done. There is no opponent, ref, organization - nor Dan Severn himself admitted to such an accusation. And as someone has already said, there are likely 20-30 fights that are un-accounted for that should/could be on Severn's record.

What I don't appreciate is someone, as old as you (and a Mod for that matter), coming on here accusing Dan Severn of cheating the sport with no hard evidence. If you don't think that is fighter bashing than you really don't deserve the respect and status of having such a position on this forum. There are plenty of other respected and knowledgeable posters on here who would do your job 10 times better, with half the effort.

If a member with a 10 or 11 join date posted what you did, that account would have been frozen - and I'd put money on it.

Maybe it's time to grow up, Frank...
I guess you can read, but not comprehend.  I didn't accuse anyone of anything.  I asked Shannon some questions and asked if people thought that fight was 100% legit.  You still haven't answered that.  I already know the answer, but I want to hear what you think.   I've ben friends with promoters from around the US since the 90s and I know more than I could ever write on here without getting into trouble, but let's focus on this fight since it has commentary and it's on youtube.

Fight starts at 3:17...is this 100% legit as well?  Dan and Skip were buddies before this fight.

I have watched the fight in question and IMO, the fight was a COMPLETE WORK.

Dan Severn WAS a fighter, these days, not so much.

"

Press release from the IFC:

IFC Suspends Fighters

The IFC has suspended Travis Fulton and Dan Severn from fighting in any IFC events until further notice. Also, Ms. Becki [sp] Levi who functions as manager and second to Dan Severn has been suspended from further representation of fighters until further notice. The suspensions are effective immediately.

The suspensions are the result of an apparent violation of IFC rules about predetermining the outcome of a fight. During the fight between Severn and Fulton on June 30th, it became apparent to referee Mason White that Travis Fulton was holding back from punching Dan Severn when Fulton had Severn in a full mount. Upon questioning following the fight, Fulton disclosed that prior to the fight Becki [sp] Levi approached him on behalf of Dan Severn. At that meeting, Levi told Fulton that they don't want this fight unless they get paid more money, Fulton claims that Levi said to go easy and guarantee Severn the victory or they would not fight. Fulton accepted.

Scott Adams, President of World Extreme Cagefighting, LLC, the promoters of the event, expressed his concern, "I spent hundreds of hours to ensure that I would have highly competitive matches. This is very important to me, for I intend to promote many future cards. The rules were given to and explained to each and every competitor. I condemn any type of prearranged outcome matches. I also condemn any alteration of rules at a sanctioned event without the pre-match approval of the sanctioning body. This is an insult to the fans and an embarrassment to each and every one of us in this great sport. I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am. I would never cheapen my love of the martial arts or dishonor my Bushido by ever knowingly staging a dishonest bout."

Paul Smith IFC Commissioner Paul Smith [pictured at right] states, " We are withholding our final determination until Mr. Severn and Ms. Levi have the opportunity to respond. However, I will say that the IFC's position on fixing fights is a strong one. As a young sport we cannot afford to have the sort of activity that appeared to have occurred here take place. We have fought too long and too hard to have Mixed Martial Arts recognized as a legitimate sport. This type of activity taints all of us."

Under IFC guidelines the fight could be called a "no contest" and the participants fined and suspended for up to a year for a first offense.

The IFC will make the video of the event, available to all concerned parties including State Athletic Commissions, with a complete copy of all statements from the investigation.

"

" Fulton claims that Levi said to go easy and guarantee Severn the victory or they would not fight. Fulton accepted"

Frank, you're hilarious. I like how you post the press-release from The IFC, yet, you conveniently leave out Severn and Fulton's responses.

LMAO at that Skip Hall "fight".

Compelte and utter BULLSHIT.

EBM, here's what Travis said:

What was the agreement?

I wouldn't punch him and they really didn't have to worry about it because I only had the one hand [due to injury]. I didn't care if he would hit me.

It was limited striking. We agreed not to strike each other, basically. There was no agreement on who would win. He won the decision fair and square, but also with the fact that we couldn't punch and also with the fact that you take the knees out because we both believed that you couldn't knee because that is what [promoter] Scott Adams told me all week you couldn't do.

There was never any understanding where you couldn't submit each other at any point, you could. I was pretty much, with their complete rule changes and everything, we just thought that it was pretty wrong what they [the promoters] did.

Still no answer from EBM (not expecting one since he's just here to argue) as to if he thinks the 2 fights I posted were 100% legit.

PosterboyOwnsMe4 - 
frankiscool -  EBM, here's what Travis said:

What was the agreement?

I wouldn't punch him and they really didn't have to worry about it because I only had the one hand [due to injury]. I didn't care if he would hit me.

It was limited striking. We agreed not to strike each other, basically. There was no agreement on who would win. He won the decision fair and square, but also with the fact that we couldn't punch and also with the fact that you take the knees out because we both believed that you couldn't knee because that is what [promoter] Scott Adams told me all week you couldn't do.

There was never any understanding where you couldn't submit each other at any point, you could. I was pretty much, with their complete rule changes and everything, we just thought that it was pretty wrong what they [the promoters] did.

sounds like they made a gentlemen's agreement, but no work here IMO.  a work = predetermined outcome as far as winner / loser.
Then it's not a fight.  It should be changed to a wrestling match.   travis had a bum hand, so he could have used the other.  Sounds like they wanted to shaft the promoter. 

PosterboyOwnsMe4 -  so was it a work or just not a fight?  make up your mind.

I already posted 2 complete fights.   Do you think those are 100% legit?

If a fight is a work, "gentleman's agreement not to punch" etc, that means it's somehow predetermining an outcome.  I.E. if travis would have blasted Dan with like 10 lefts to the face, he could have won that way.   Either way, it's not a 100% legit fight.

I won't post about this anymore because you clearly are missing the point of where I'm coming from.

I'm not here to argue, I'm here to put all the facts out in the open. You're stance is completely one-sided. And for the folks who don't know the entire story, you're not allowing them to decide whether or not the examples you're using (specifically the Severn/Fulton fight) caused the fight to have a pre-determined ending.

A "work" is when each of the two parties involved in a match KNOW exactly what the outcome will be. If you want my answer, NO, I do not think Severn nor Fulton knew (prior to the match beginning) who would win. The same goes for both of Severn's fights against Ritch.

My problem is that in your initial post, you came on here, blasting Severn for fixing a fight. That is a HUGE allegation. If you're going to accuse someone of cheating - (especially that you're a Moderator on this Site), you should have some serious hard facts in order. Posting funny Youtube videos don't count.

"A work is when each of the two parties involved in a match KNOW exactly what the outcome will be."

Incorrect

It only takes one fighter to be in on it.The other fighter CAN be clueless.

I asked since there have been MANY instances where Severn's fghts have been called into question.  I posted the videos and asked people if they thought the fighters were 100% legit.  And I'm betting that some of them weren't.  

But if you can watch those fights and really think they are 100% real, you're lying to yourself.  If Dan isn't getting hit OR doing the hitting, obviously it's not just one side that's "in" on what's going on.

"you came on here, blasting Severn for fixing a fight"

Again, putting powerful words into my mouth to inflame the others reading, but it's not going to work.  Show me where I "blasted Severn" on this thread.  I asked about his "alleged" worked fights.  Since there is no admission of guilt from Shannon, Dan, or Skip, I used "alleged" and offered video of the fight so people could make up their own minds.

Any fan of MMA can tell that the Ritch fight looks fishy.  If I were betting and the truth was going to be let known 100%, I'd bet on FAKE.