Dana admits last TUF season sucked

Glad he did so during his interview with Ariel during the TUF Finale. Harped on how bad the fights, in particular, were. Also said he doubts they’ll ever do the gym vs. gym format again.

Props to him for admitting this. But non-props for telling us how great the season would be before the season started.

I didnt watch it was it that bad?

I havent watched tuf for a while, it's so stale. It all feels meaningless too. Guys can just sign directly with the ufc and the top talent tends to do that anyway since the tuf contract is pretty weak.

They need to offer a better incentive. That is one of the big allures of reality tv. Freaking bellator paid out $100,000 to the winner of their tournament and ufc only gives the winner a 15/15 contract.

I know dana said something about giving away 300k to the winning team of tuf this year, so maybe next year they will keep a larger prize even if they dont keep the team format.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Almost every fight was a wet blanket fest, almost nothing of interest went on in the house, and only a couple of fighters showed any kind of killer instinct, despite talking huge before their fights.

Fortunately, the last couple of episodes and fights were a little better because one team made a tremendous comeback after trailing the whole competition. But it still didn't make up for a really bad season.

when was the last tuf winner besides roy nelson thats done anything significant? outside of gastelum they havent made much promising athletes lately, and most likely are just feeding other organizations with them.

i enjoyed it but the fights for the most part sucked and mainly because the fighters blanketed ( both sides )

They need to come up with a format where individual fights matter, ie winning is more important than not losing.

The more they hyped the team vs team, not losing became the main focus.

The last few episodes where ATT made the comeback were entertaining. But everything before that was pretty much shit.

AnotherDecision - when was the last tuf winner besides roy nelson thats done anything significant? outside of gastelum they havent made much promising athletes lately, and most likely are just feeding other organizations with them.
TJ Dillashaw, tho admittedly I don't think the little guys count since at the time it was the first time doing that weight class Phone Post 3.0

sssfRyan -
AnotherDecision - when was the last tuf winner besides roy nelson thats done anything significant? outside of gastelum they havent made much promising athletes lately, and most likely are just feeding other organizations with them.
TJ Dillashaw, tho admittedly I don't think the little guys count since at the time it was the first time doing that weight class Phone Post 3.0
Dillashaw didn't win his season Phone Post 3.0

TUF needs a bullet between the eyes in the worst way.

Points format was bad.

Last season's bracket format was amazing.

When I was betting on the card I was betting on loosers, not winners cause all the fights were fucking terrible. Even the ones with finishes were bring as shit. Phone Post 3.0

Even Dana can't deny that, it was 90% garbage.

Seeing whats his face have his childish tantrum and witnessing his attempt at running was worth it for me. First season ive watched in a bit. Fights sucked but for qhatecer reason i enjoyed it more than past seasons. Phone Post 3.0

SensoriaUtopia - Most of the fights sucked, however the format was awesome, I hope they stay with this format, at least every other tuf, and maybe something like American Kickboxing vs Team Serra/Longo would be just as funny and knee jerking to watch and probably the fights would be way better.

Not that we should do another Blackzillians vs ATT, but I bet if they did the fights would be better next time around.

The format is kickass, camp vs camp, just think if the fights where at least kind of good, the vibe of going into the other teams camp, you guys dont think that has a epic vibe to it, the electricity in the crowd, so many vested men and women, and I like how some guys may not even fight if the coaches dont think they are at their top area, or some guys could fight twice, even three times.

When you step back and think about all that, don't you think we should give this battling camps another try? Dana can give a prespeech the first episode, that part where they are all there and Dana is talking to them, he can be loud and colorful and let them know he wants action fights, and not like last time, and coaches and fighters go at it, well not coaches literally , but fighters, and it could work. Why not

Hey man, I totally agree with you in that I thought this format would be awesome, and am still amazed it failed.

However, I think there are several reasons.

1. The fighters felt more pressure than those in other seasons not to lose because it was their camp's rep on the line, and not just their own. So they fought extremely defensively, boring, and lay and prayed their way to wins the majority of the fights.

2. The "Dan and Glenn hate each other" angle got played to death and got really old, especially knowing they were never going to fight. Glenn trying to "run" was lmao off, however.

3. Minimal interesting things went down in the house, probably because guys didn't want to make their camp look bad, and/or the guys that wanted to start things were probably held in check by the older fighters on their team to tone it down. Maybe not necessarily a bad thing, though.

4. Zuffa missed out on HUGE opportunities to spend time with a TON of top fighters who we kept seeing glimpses of in both camps, who were either there as trainers and/or coaches. I lost track of how many big time fighters there were that we would see, but little to no interviewing them. It made absolutely no sense. Instead, we got 45 minutes every week of the coaches talking about how bad they hated one another and the fighters promising they were going to put on a tremendous display and lay everything one the line. Then, 10 minutes of a fight where they ended up fighting tentatively, making for some of the worst fights in the shows history.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Ariel asked Dana about giving this format another try and that Cormier's camp wanted to do it against some other camp. Dana just shook his head and said, "No, and we're going with Conor vs. Faber. That's that."

You never know, though. With some tweaks, this format might be good. There would have to be some major changes, though. It might take warning guys that even if they win, DFW will still give some winning fighters an "L" if their performance is totally crappy and fight not to lose, which a lot of the "winners" did this season.