Dana: "I've never even met Fedor"

this was last year but still relevant...

Control His Destiny, His Manager Does

UFC President Dana White gave an interview to a Brazilian TV show last year in which he made some interesting comments about the best MMA fighter who's not in the UFC, Fedor Emelianenko:

Asked whether Fedor will ever fight in the UFC, White said, "Who knows? Every time you think you've got some traction with these guys and you're going to do something, they spin off and do something dumber than before. These guys keep making stupid moves. The problem is Fedor doesn't control his destiny, his manager does. These guys are from Russia. It's a whole nother world in Russia, man. Listen, in all the dealings we've had with Fedor, I've never even met Fedor. He doesn't control his destiny, his manager does."

Fedor's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, doesn't appreciate the way White talks about him.

Finkelchtein said this in an interview with Five Ounces of Pain this week:

I think a lot of the problem is whatever Dana puts into these interviews. Maybe that's his style? Maybe there's a reason why he goes out there and calls us "crazy Russians" and things like that.

I'll tell you one thing, we would have really been "crazy Russians" if we had signed that contract that they had offered. Fedor is an athlete who deserves a certain amount of respect and recognition. We don't make the rankings. We don't decide who is the number one fighter in the world, consensus wise. These are things that are out there in the world.

I think in my dealings with those guys, everything has always been very cordial and very friendly. But publicly, they've created - and I don't know whether they have an inferiority complex - but I don't know what it is. But they're trying to create a monopoly and I believe that regardless that bubble is going to pop because very soon, the sport is going to become bigger than them.

My own opinion is that Fedor is never going to set foot in the Octagon. That's a real shame for both Fedor and for the UFC, and most of all for MMA fans.

I swear I've seen a picture of Dana standing between Randy Couture and Fedor

I saw an interview with Fedor a bit ago and he says he did, in fact, meet Dana.  Who's nose will grow?

Bluegrass - I saw an interview with Fedor a bit ago and he says he did, in fact, meet Dana.  Who's nose will grow?

This interview was ONE YEAR AGO

not exactly ONE YEAR AGO. seems like around september.

I can see the conflict.

They come off as "Crazy Russians", and Dana, to them comes off as "Jerry Maguire".

Fedor's management as I gather wants too big of a piece of the pie, and the UFC really comes across as as Professional Athlethe "Welfare".

We'll never see Fedor in the UFC, in his Prime.

To this day,  DW still hasn't met Fedor according to his manager.

In a 1/3/09 interview Vadim states:

Is it true that Dana White and Fedor have never met?

Yes, this is true. It’s true but to put in perspective, I am not only Fedor’s manager but his friend and partner in many different projects that we do. We don’t have any secrets from each other and Fedor knows every move I make. He doesn’t handle a lot of his own business affairs.

I flew to Vegas to meet with Dana. At the time, Fedor was unable to fly out to Vegas. But believe me, if Dana ever wanted to meet with Fedor or wanted to come to Russia/st1:place/st1:country-region, we’d welcome him with open arms. And he has every opportunity possible to sit down face-to-face and have a conversation with Fedor./o:p

http://www.mat-magazine.com/mat/content/view/6259/20/

-------------------

IMO, Vadim shouldn't have lied numerous times about DW's claim that he has never met Fedor, only to turn around and admit that he had in a  1-03-09 interview with Sam Caplan.

Cindy

It's great to have management. But let's ask what the proper role of management is in a fighters career. Obviously, you want to get your guy top $$ and make him a big sports star. Fedor's management though seems to be about starting their own mma business.

Want to sign Fedor? Ok, you also take all the Red Devil guys. Also, we get to do fight promotions in Russia and use the ufc name. WTF?

Now there's nothing with being ambitious and wanting to start your own promotion. But an agent who is simultaneously representing fighter and working on his own business has a conflict of interest.

I'd still like an explanation about calling Vadim Russian. The interpreter is clearly speaking Dutch, and Finkelstein is clearly a Germanic name. Where they hell is this "Crazy Russian" thing coming from?

Wow! he never dropped the "F" bomb in that interview, look's like my letters to the UFC Public Relations Department finally paid off

Has Dana even posted here since the change over to the new site? 

"Finkelstein sounds Jewish. Plenty of Russian Jews consequence of WWII when Hitler was exterminating them many fled to Russia."

Makes sense. Still doesn't explain the interpreter speaking Dutch. (Unless Hebrew sounds close enough to Dutch that I can't tell the difference).

"It's a whole nother world in Russia, man."

I've never been able to figure out what a "whole nother" is...

CindyO - To this day, DW still hasn't met Fedor according to his manager.

In a 12/3/09 interview Vadim states:

Is it true that Dana White and Fedor have never met?
Yes, this is true. It’s true but to put in perspective, I am not only Fedor’s manager but his friend and partner in many different projects that we do. We don’t have any secrets from each other and Fedor knows every move I make. He doesn’t handle a lot of his own business affairs.

I flew to Vegas to meet with Dana. At the time, Fedor was unable to fly out to Vegas. But believe me, if Dana ever wanted to meet with Fedor or wanted to come to Russia, we’d welcome him with open arms. And he has every opportunity possible to sit down face-to-face and have a conversation with Fedor.

http://www.mat-magazine.com/mat/content/view/6259/20/
-------------------

IMO, Vadim shouldn't have lied numerous times about DW's claim that he has never met Fedor, only to turn around and admit that he had in a 1-03-09 interview with Sam Caplan.

Cindy

Thankfully, Dana never lies.

Who gives a shit at this point? I don't care to even read about negotiations anymore. I don't think either side really wants it to happen so it probably never will. Get over it and move on with your life.

Paul Maul - "It's a whole nother world in Russia, man."

I've never been able to figure out what a "whole nother" is...

A whole other. It's the word "another" with whole inserted in. It's somewhat appropriate given the choice of a or an is based on what rolls off the tongue easier, and "a whole nother" rolls off a bit easier than "a whole other".

Why should he be treated as the #1 heavyweight if we've seen every single "superstar" from Pride get their ass handed to them?