Dana says no to 5 round non title fights!

When asked a question about the 5 round non title fights in the post fight presser, Dana says he doesn't like them. He said if you make non title fights 5 rounds then title fights lose their luster.(Paraphrasing)He says he will not be doing them.

The UG needs to get on this and demand he rethink his position!

Nog vs Randy should have been 5 rounds. I can't think of a better example of a main event that counters Danas argument so well.

NoPlacebo - Nog vs Randy should have been 5 rounds. I can't think of a better example of a main event that counters Danas argument so well.

Why? There was a clear winner in 3 rounds.

I think he has a point. It does sort of muddy the waters.

Nog-Randy and Chack-Wandy are the two better examples.

That said, I have to think about what BLAF said. It makes sense on an intuitive level, but that doesn't mean it trumps the epicness of a 5 rounder.

I'm torn.

I agree that some fights should go 5 just because of the caliber of guys in the octgon, but he has a point.

It really could cheapen the championship fights.

And how do we decide and justify who gets a 5 rounder?

I think if they did 5 rd non-titles at all, it should be contender matchups. Get them conditioned for 5 rds since they will be facing a guy who is used to 5. 

So like Kampmann/Swick or Marquardt/Hendo could be 5 since GSP and Silva have been doing 5 for a while now.

dont agree with blaf on this one...u lose the luster of a belt if other fights go 5 rounds? thats a pretty weak argument...championships have luster because of the belt

jjj2121 - 
NoPlacebo - Nog vs Randy should have been 5 rounds. I can't think of a better example of a main event that counters Danas argument so well.

Why? There was a clear winner in 3 rounds.

Oh I agree, I wasn't saying that cause it was close. I just thought it was an awesome fight and the crowd was really dying for more.

Dana just really surprises me with his position. I agree somewhat with him but I think there should be instances where a 5 rounder would be nice. He seems to have ZERO plans of doing it.

Also, why would the NSAC/ABC make this change if no one was really wanting it. I thought the UFC pretty much ran the NSAC;-)

Lawman -

I think if they did 5 rd non-titles at all, it should be contender matchups. Get them conditioned for 5 rds since they will be facing a guy who is used to 5. 

So like Kampmann/Swick or Marquardt/Hendo could be 5 since GSP and Silva have been doing 5 for a while now.

How about fights where the winner gets a title shot?

Viejo - 
Lawman -

How about fights where the winner gets a title shot?

I think that is what Lawman is saying.

note to self: next time, read the whole thing, at least if I'm going to frigging quote it. d'oh

Viejo - note to self: next time, read the whole thing, at least if I'm going to frigging quote it. d'oh

I dont understand. I was just trying to help. It looks like that is what lawman is saying but I could be mistaken. <br /

I think it should happen with superfights and bouts of extraordinary nature.

Wasn't he the one pushing for this and 7 round championship fights?

I usually agree with most of what Dana has to say (yeah UFC shill haha good one)

This I disagree with though.

I can rattle off a ton of fights in recent memory that definitely would merit consideration for making non title fights 5 rounders.

I don't know. Contender matches don't necessarily end in a title shot as they imply. It's an ever evolving selection and matching process. Imagine having the 5 rounder than not wanting to or not being able to give the winner a title shot. I doubt they would limit their options like that.

There are several other reasons I dislike 5 rounders for non-title fights but why repeat them in ANOTHER thread. Gotta say I agree with the boss if he really said that though.

If you make reg fights 5 round then title fights have to be 7 or 9.

Dana says no? This is the same guy who was going on and on about how Chuck/Wand should've been 5 rounds.

uh why the need for a 5 rounder in nog vs randy? Nog clearly won and Trowbridge needs to be put to pasture