Dana says UFC Fighters do not want the media or fans to know how much money they make

UFC president Dana White says that UFC fighters do not want the media or fans to know how much money they make with the company.

Fighter pay is often a touchy topic with White and the UFC. There have been lots of stories about UFC fighters being paid poorly as of late, and boxer Jake Paul has been leading the charge to get the fighters a bigger percentage of the UFC’s revenue pie. Despite the numbers saying otherwise, White has remained adamant that UFC fighters are paid quite well. In fact, that’s one of the reasons why White says the fighters want their numbers private despite there being fans and media who are curious as to what they make.

1 Like

Really because many of them dont keep it a secret

Mcspoiler

peaking to the media following Tuesday night’s Contender Series, White explained why UFC fighters want to keep their pay private. As far as White goes, most fighters he has talked to do not want their pay disclosed, in part so they don’t have people hitting them up for cash once the numbers come out.

“It doesn’t matter to me if these guys want to let you know what they make. You guys asked (Kevin) Holland the other day, and what did he say? He said people were hitting him up for money after I said it,” White said (via MMAjunkie.com). “Most of these guys want what’s called an LOA (Letter of agreement), where you don’t get to see their money. Most of the fighters want an LOA. They don’t want people to know how much they make and you can imagine why they don’t. People start coming out of the woodwork and looking for money when they think you got it.”

They are paid better than other promotions,but I have a feeling that the lower level fighters fear the consequences if they speak up.

2 Likes

UFC pays its fighters what? 13% of revenue? And the vast majority of that goes to the upper end guys.

I’m not mad at it. People sign their own contracts. But paying that low ensures athletic talent goes elsewhere and the sport misses out on great talent.

2 Likes

LOL, how about paying the fighters enough so they actually don’t mind if people hit them up!

Dana will never look good talking about “suppressed” fighter pay.

The reporter that asked about it referenced a 16-18% figure which Dana didn’t confirm or deny.

Miesha was just talking about her salary, so yes some fighters don’t care if people know.

Fighters get paid the worst while having the most out of pocket expenses among the major sports.

1 Like

They don’t want people to know because it’s fucking embarrassing.

3 Likes

Clearly that is 100% true.

I can’t think of a single high level fighter who has shown and proven how much they really make from UFC fights.

McGregor showed the buys but not the points. He did not show what his cut was.

Jon Jones has said he earned an amount of money but never proved it.

GSP said a number once but never proved it.

Dana is right.

1 Like

This percentage bullshit needs to stop.

People need to start asking the question:

How much of a percentage should the UFC pay it’s fighters?

What are the UFC’s costs, and what percentage does that take up?

I believe you will find the UFC’s costs, percentage wise will = a lot fucking higher than the NBA or the NFL.

A single NBA team makes more than the UFC in a year! Just one fucking team. What costs could one team of 20 dudes have. Honestly. Do the math.

Now, can the UFC pay it’s fighters more than 15-18%…? Yes. How much more? my guess 25-30% max before we have problems.

4 Likes

If you are a low level fighter then you need to be fighting 3 to 4 times a year to make a decent living.

The ufc is the only organisation that low level fighters can make a living at fighting without working a regular job.

Dana has done an amazing job of structuring his business and creating an environment where if you are good enough you will rise to the top and be paid accordingly.

The downside is, with a little bit bad luck that system will eat you up and spit you out. A bad ref call,an injury,whateva and the win bonus is gone.With all your expenses you may have just paid to fight.

20% should be the floor with payroll for fighters. 13% is a flat out bad look.

1 Like

The revenue percentages are such a joke lol, they don’t even use the correct revenues or the correct fighter pay figures, they’re off by a factor of 2 at least.

The person who doesn’t want the public to know what the fighters make is Dana. When all is said and done, Dana is not going to be viewed a positive light historically.

It’s true. "You never discuss money on the floor ".
No matter where you work, it will always cause an argument.
It’s no one else’s business.

1 Like

Percent of revenue doesn’t tell us anything about the fighter pay picture, unless you happen to know all their expenses, which nobody outside the company does. Percent of profit is what’s important and good luck with that.

1 Like

So why don’t fighters tell the public what they get paid…?

Dana has said many times that they can if they want to.

Because imagine fighting in front of 20,000 people on PPV or TV and getting 12/12. It’s fucking embarrassing. You would want people to think you made more being a “professional” fighter. You notice every other sport releases information when a player gets a 4 year 200 million dollar contract or a 1 year 2 million dollar contract. “I fight in the UFC for 12 grand and if I win I get 24k.” Even the champions get paid shit for how much revenue they generate. Floyd always posts his checks because he’s proud. These guys are fucking ashamed to reveal how much they make. They can always get a different job though.

So UFC 266

Total fighter pay that was disclosed, not including PPV points which will be around 800,000 more: $3,783,000

Total ammount of fighters: 26

$3,783,000 divided by 26 = $145,500

So yeah personally I think $145,500 is pretty fucking good money