Dana WTF!!! Herpes!?

Where do you get your Docs? If it was really Herpetic, i.e. HSV-1, why did he get kicked off???

I mean a third year med students knows that you get isolated for 3 days and then prophylax him with a gram of Valtrex.

Ask how many of those fighters have had a cold sore. It's the same thing!

Is the UFC too cheap to buy Valtrex? You crushed that poor kid. Did he even get medical treatment?

I really hope there is more to this story. If not, you need to get some real physicians....

i dont know man, a good friend of mine hard this cold sore virus that was incurable and highly contagious. from time to time he would just get cold sores all over the inside of his mouth. It would just flair up at random and there was nothing he could do. it was NOT the std, but man i wouldnt wanna train with him and risk getting that...

Legal liability and the concept of "lawsuit" seem to be difficult for some in our society to grasp.

How many people have cold sores? Who dies of that?

"The NHANES for 1999–2004 showed an overall seroprevalence of 57.7% for HSV-1 and 17.2% for HSV-2. "

Lutter had the herpes

because if it's passed on to another fighter (or not) and that fighter goes home and has an infant and that infant ends up with encephalitis then the ufc is in a liability shit storm, that's why.

FightinMD - Where do you get your Docs? If it was really Herpetic, i.e. HSV-1, why did he get kicked off???

I mean a third year med students knows that you get isolated for 3 days and then prophylax him with a gram of Valtrex.

Ask how many of those fighters have had a cold sore. It's the same thing!

Is the UFC too cheap to buy Valtrex? You crushed that poor kid. Did he even get medical treatment?

I really hope there is more to this story. If not, you need to get some real physicians....
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I consulted with an HG expert about the 2 day contagious period Paul claimed and this is what he had to say:
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:28 PM
To: [omitted]

Subject: RE: Feedback from TMD by Cindy Ortiz

Dear Ms Ortiz;

Your questions are rather timely. I just finished a chapter about this subject in a book about Combat Sports. Don't know when it'll be published. Being done in the UK. First off, the physician gave you wrong information. This virus is extremely infectious for up to almost a week and that's only if meds are being used and if its a recurrent outbreak.

At this time I'm working an an ER and can't fully answer your questions. I will get back to you this monday.

Sincerely,

B.J. Anderson, M.D.
The Mat Doc, LLC
Recognize. Treat. Prevent!

http://www.thematdoc.com/index.html

BJ Anderson's credentials:

Dr. B.J. Anderson presently serves as team physician for the NCAA Division III National Champions Augsburg College wrestling team. Since 1996 he has served as tournament physician for Freestyle wrestling at the USA Wrestling Jr. National tournament in Fargo, N.D. He is also the medical advisor for MN/USA Wrestling and presently serves on the MSHSL Medical Advisory Committee and the NFHS Medical Advisory Committee.

Dr. Anderson has performed multiple clinical studies on the use of antiviral medication in controlling and preventing outbreaks of Herpes Gladiatorum in wrestlers. He has also written multiple papers on using valacyclovir for Herpes Gladiatorum which presently serves as the landmark guideline on treating this infectious agent.

He presently works at Boynton Health Service through the University of Minnesota, in Minneapolis in primary care.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure your experience and credentials are more impressive but, just to be fair, could you please post them? Thanks.

Cindy

Those are impressive credentials to be sure. I hope FightinMD posts his as well. Most of the research I've done seems to indicate the 2 day period however I'm no MD. I do have a letter from University of Buffalo Sports Medecine clearing Paul to compete. They are the team MD's for: Bills, Sabres, Bandits, UB Bulls, ECC Kats, & Buffalo State Bengals.

Heebe jeebbes

f1management - Those are impressive credentials to be sure. I hope FightinMD posts his as well. Most of the research I've done seems to indicate the 2 day period however I'm no MD. I do have a letter from University of Buffalo Sports Medecine clearing Paul to compete. They are the team MD's for: Bills, Sabres, Bandits, UB Bulls, ECC Kats, & Buffalo State Bengals.
Then it sounds like he is good to go now and not in the midst of a flare up. I imagine having a letter in hand when season 7 began would have made no difference when the outbreak was visible. I wish Paul the best.
Cindy

So if it was Zoster, anyone who has had the chicken is "immune". That is, they have the same risk of getting zoster as anyone else.

In the US we vaccinate just about everyone since th early 80's or so, against chicken pox. Thus, if you were vaccinated, you are all set.

Dana crushed that kid, and that pissed me off!!!

Also, unless there were pregnant chicks, cancer patients, or other immune-compromised (HIV, AIDS, etc.) people around, the risk is minimal.

FightinMD - So if it was Zoster, anyone who has had the chicken is "immune". That is, they have the same risk of getting zoster as anyone else. In the US we vaccinate just about everyone since th early 80's or so, against chicken pox. Thus, if you were vaccinated, you are all set. Dana crushed that kid, and that pissed me off!!!
Let's say  a model gets a herpes sore on her mouth from time to time (stress related flare up) and treats it with Valtrex.  Would it not be wise, since she knows what causes the outbreak, to be proactive and start taking them two weeks before she competes on the big stage and goes for the Miss America title?
Paul admitted he knew he had this thing and acted like no one should think it was a big deal. It is his responsibility to protect others when he has an outbreak and considering the fact he knows what brings it on (stress and sweat), would it not have been wise for him to have begun treating himself proactively so he could possibly thwart a flare up on the show?
Had he done that he wouldn't have gotten sent home and he wouldn't have exposed 15 other fighters, 2 coaches and 6 trainers to the virus during its contagious period... which begins BEFORE the rash even appears. A little forward thinking could have prevented this.
Cindy

FightinMD - Also, unless there were pregnant chicks, cancer patients, or other immune-compromised (HIV, AIDS, etc.) people around, the risk is minimal.
Are you saying you disagree with Dr. Anderson's comment?
"This virus is extremely infectious for up to almost a week and that's only if meds are being used and if its a recurrent outbreak. "
If so, please post your credentials so that we will know which of you has more experience and expertise dealing with HG. Thanks.
Cindy

I have had it for 6-7 years..When I first went to the doc, they told me it was impentigo, which it wasnt..

I still break out if Im getting over a flu or cold or in times of wicked stress..(I have a patch right now on my neck and one on my cheekbone that already scabbed and is going away)

As long as you dont roll when you have an outbreak, people dont get it. I got it from another dude who had it at our gym years ago. Then like 15 people ended up with it that I know of..

When I first got it though it was HUUUUGE, like a baseball sized patch on my neck and it took a month to heal..Now though I just get lil patches and they go away quick. Usually in a week.

The risk he's talking about cindy is for complications due to infection not risk of infection. To immuno compromised people (chemo patients, young, elderly, HIV) herpes can be life threatening. But o/w it's almost harmless. Besides, most people have it already anyways.

my DAD died from a "mystery case of viral-encephalitis" so i support his ban...........

FightinMD - Also, unless there were pregnant chicks, cancer patients, or other immune-compromised (HIV, AIDS, etc.) people around, the risk is minimal.

The risk of "dying" is minimal, but the risk of getting an outbreak of your own is great....I don't understand why a doctor would try to argue a point using semantics.  Sure you can't die, but you can DEFINITELY get an outbreak of the blisters on your own skin if you have skin to skin contact with him WHEN there is an obvious outbreak.

Otherwise, I agree, that if there is NO visible outbreak, then the risk is minimal.

If there is a visible outbreak, it is kind of silly to suggest that everyone else has to be exposed to his infection just because it's "no big deal".

A common cold is "no big deal" but I don't want to be kissing a woman who is sick because I don't want to get sick.  The logic is pretty simple, IMHO.

Hey Sultan, point taken but what if she had a cold?

Personally, I say send me a box of halls cause im goin in for the kill!!

TrainJudo - 

Hey Sultan, point taken but what if she had a cold?

Personally, I say send me a box of halls cause im goin in for the kill!!

I would tell her ass to drink some OJ and call me when she gets better, lol...j/k

If she was "puking" sick and had phlegm in her throat, nose, etc....then I'm not too sure if I would be wanting to kiss her.

Isn't she rumored to have the herp too though?  That sucks because I really like her.