Dana's Hendo Plan

There is always more to the story than we hear about with Dana. I was initially pissed when the UFC let Hendo go, but I think they have a long term gameplan. Hendo signed a 4 fight contract. Hendo will get immediate title shots in Strikeforce. So.... I think we all agree Hendo destroys Shields with ease. Maybe makes a title defense, but probably not. Moves up to 205 and fights Mousassi for the title. I would favor Dan over Gregard at this point. He looked very human against Sok, and Dan has better wrestling, cardio and composure than Sok. So it would not be unrealistic that within 2-3 fights Dan could own 2 Strikeforce belts. We all know Dan would love to face Fedor, and though he certainly wouldnt be a favorite, he has a much better chance than Brett Rodgers had. Win or lose against Fedor, no damage can be done to Hendo's credibility.Depending on whether or not Dan has a champions clause, though the odds would be stacked against him, there is a chance that he could hold 3 of strikeforces titles and be a free agent again. Dana would pay him whatever he wanted to come back to the UFC. Dan says he has 5-6 fights left in him and he is on a 4 fight SF contract. What are the chances Hendo tears up SF and heads back to the UFC?

that.

dan's first fight has to be against fedor... fedor is not interested in the strikeforce belt.. only in big paydays... hendo is more american mainstream than overeem is.. so makes sense... since it isn't for a title ..hendo win or lose could drop down and fight mousasi or even shields... but prolly mousasi.... i thinks sheilds, diaz and lawler are all gonna be ufc bound after their strikeforce contracts run out

LiftStrong - There is always more to the story than we hear about with Dana. I was initially pissed when the UFC let Hendo go, but I think they have a long term gameplan. Hendo signed a 4 fight contract. Hendo will get immediate title shots in Strikeforce. So.... I think we all agree Hendo destroys Shields with ease. Maybe makes a title defense, but probably not. Moves up to 205 and fights Mousassi for the title. I would favor Dan over Gregard at this point. He looked very human against Sok, and Dan has better wrestling, cardio and composure than Sok. So it would not be unrealistic that within 2-3 fights Dan could own 2 Strikeforce belts. We all know Dan would love to face Fedor, and though he certainly wouldnt be a favorite, he has a much better chance than Brett Rodgers had. Win or lose against Fedor, no damage can be done to Hendo's credibility.Depending on whether or not Dan has a champions clause, though the odds would be stacked against him, there is a chance that he could hold 3 of strikeforces titles and be a free agent again. Dana would pay him whatever he wanted to come back to the UFC. Dan says he has 5-6 fights left in him and he is on a 4 fight SF contract. What are the chances Hendo tears up SF and heads back to the UFC?
Of course on your first point.  That's the case with pretty much every new store/business dealing.

As for the rest I'd say it's not out of the realm of possiblity, and I'm sure both Dana and Dan would be happy if he can roll through all three guys (Dana because of eliminated competition and Dan because he'd most likely get the fat contract he wanted upon his return).

But Dan's days are numbered anyway so will be interesting to see what he has left by the time he fights again.

Dan has his freedom back

I think more and more the UFC wants marketable fighters,Dan is one of the best fighters on the planet but he's quiet and feels his fighting should his talking.Dana is more interested in the loud and in your face self promoting fighters,even if that means they are more style than substance.Of course you want to be successful and in order to do that you have to have a product that people want to see,but at some point you have to have a balance,otherwise a few years from now people are going to start to question its legitimacy and it might turn into a slightly more realistic WWE.The Kimbo/Alexander fight proves my point,I don't think it was a work but I can definitely see where some people would.This is the type of fight that Dana gives the most hype to attract mainstream viewers(no disrespect to either fighter)but that's not exactly a matchup I'd want to use to showcase my Organization and sport.

I think Dan is a little more marketable than most people give him credit for. All of my newb/casual friends get excited when they hear his name on a card. Cant say the same about a lot of other talented fighters.

And yes, I agree and find it troubling that the UFC is more interested in paying personalities rather than professionals.

LiftStrong - There is always more to the story than we hear about with Dana. I was initially pissed when the UFC let Hendo go, but I think they have a long term gameplan. Hendo signed a 4 fight contract. Hendo will get immediate title shots in Strikeforce. So.... I think we all agree Hendo destroys Shields with ease. Maybe makes a title defense, but probably not. Moves up to 205 and fights Mousassi for the title. I would favor Dan over Gregard at this point. He looked very human against Sok, and Dan has better wrestling, cardio and composure than Sok. So it would not be unrealistic that within 2-3 fights Dan could own 2 Strikeforce belts. We all know Dan would love to face Fedor, and though he certainly wouldnt be a favorite, he has a much better chance than Brett Rodgers had. Win or lose against Fedor, no damage can be done to Hendo's credibility.Depending on whether or not Dan has a champions clause, though the odds would be stacked against him, there is a chance that he could hold 3 of strikeforces titles and be a free agent again. Dana would pay him whatever he wanted to come back to the UFC. Dan says he has 5-6 fights left in him and he is on a 4 fight SF contract. What are the chances Hendo tears up SF and heads back to the UFC?

That is certainly a possibility. Hendo can make a bigger name for himself in strikeforce thats for sure...then Dana might think he is worth more. ;)

Henderson was gonna be the UFC brett hart....... Hardcore loves and respects, but not part of the new crowd coming in, so he took money offer from strikeforce.

Fredrico - Is this like the Cro Crop invade UFC then go back to Japan plan?

lol

How can Dana think that Dan would make a bigger name for himself in Strikeforce -- which he continually derides as being the minor leagues -- than he would fighting near the top of the card on UFC PPV events? Sure, there's the CBS contract, but that hasn't made any big breakout stars apart from Kimbo, Gina and, to a lesser extent, Fedor. Dan will be the same thing coming out of Strikeforce that he was going in. His desirability for the UFC will hinge on where they stand at that time in terms of wanting a solid, but uninspiring, workhorse who can immediately fill title bouts in two weight classses.

Or Dana is hoping Strikeforce folds within the next year or two and he can buy Hendo's contract for much cheaper than what Hendo was originally asking for.

RyannVonDoom - 
Ryan MacLeod - Chances seem higher that he would end up enjoying working for Strikeforce and want to end his career with a company that was willing to give him prime-time exposure.

However, the UFC DID give him back to back title shots when they signed him. You'd think there would be a bit of loyalty there. He said the main reason he left is because he didn't get his shot at Silva, but I mean, come on man. Three title shots in two years? That's a lot.

They were title unification fights. This would be his first title shot.

No, they were title shots. Seeing how Pride had died a while before those title fights, the Pride titles went with it. It was just a marketing ploy to make people believe that these were 100% the best fighters at 205/185. Rampage/Anderson didn't walk out with the Pride title, they were never marketed as the Pride champion. The UFC unified the two titles, or in other words, they were killing off the Pride titles. Regardless if Dan had won either of those fights, he wouldn't be wearing the Pride title, he'd be wearing a UFC title which he was given a shot at doing two times.

GJJ2803 - Or Dana is hoping Strikeforce folds within the next year or two and he can buy Hendo's contract for much cheaper than what Hendo was originally asking for.

That is also a possibility...

palerider101 - Dan has his freedom back