Daniel Cormier joins Wimp2Warrior program

Rich Chou’s presence at Wimp2Warrior is already making a major difference.

Chou, a former Bellator matchmaker, recently moved on to a new role with the company that helps put together training programs for everyday people who want to dedicate their attention toward competing in an MMA bout, has recruited former two-division UFC champ Daniel Cormier as a new partner for the company.

Cormier’s gym, the Daniel Cormier Wrestling Academy in Gilroy, Calif., will serve as a new location for the program where people will be able to sign up and get their start.

As someone who has done plenty of coaching both for MMA and amateur wrestler, Cormier said he’s relishing the new experience.

“Look, anyone who knows me knows how invested I am in teaching,” said Cormier. “It’s why I coach wresting at Gilroy HS, why I opened up my academy and why I am partnering with W2W. This program represents everything that is good about martial arts and gives me a chance to give back by being an entry point to men and women who can’t shake that burning question of, ‘Can I do that?’”

The partnership with Cormier adds to a lengthy list of Wimp2Warrior affiliates, including Tristar (Firas Zihabi), Long Island’s LAW MMA (Chris Weidman, Ray Longo), San Francisco’s El Nino Training Center (Gilbert Melendez), San Jose’s AKA Training Center (Javier Mendez), Las Vegas Xtreme Couture (Randy & Ryan Couture), Dublin California’s Combat Sports Academy (Kirian Fitzgibbon) and SBG Portland (Matt Thornton).

Chou, who joined the company as the VP of North America earlier, said bringing someone of Cormier’s stature into the fold is significant.

“DC has a true love of the sport and his knowledge and understanding of MMA is second to none,” Chou said. “Whether it be his accomplishments in the octagon, his broadcast work, or his dedication as a coach developing young athletes, he has solidified his standing as one of MMA’s most visible global ambassadors. As W2W continues to accelerate our growth, being able to have a 360 partnership with DC further validates our commitment to growing the sport by converting fandom to participation worldwide”.

Wimp 2 Warrior, for those unfamiliar, is a company that takes the everyday person and puts them through a rigorous 20-week MMA training program in conjunction with some of the most notable gyms on the planet. Its mission is to evolve those who participate into good enough shape to step into the cage to compete in an amateur fight.

bump