Danzig to 155 - win or lose

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8985

After Saturday’s fight, Danzig will follow ‘Joe Daddy’s lead, and go back to 155 pounds, win or lose.

“I decided that before I even went on the show,” said Danzig. “I really have no business fighting the top five guys at 170, or even the top ten when it comes down to it. It’s not that I can’t beat them, but if you put me in with Matt Hughes or Georges St-Pierre ten times, I’m gonna win a number of those times, but realistically, with all skills being the same, those guys are extremely skilled and much bigger than me. I walk around at 170, those guys walk around at 190, so it’s not a good idea for me. I really want to make a run for a title, and 155 is my weight class. I feel that within a couple of years I can be a world champion at 155.”

I understand that fighters have to be confident, but I think if he fought GSP 10 times, he would lose 11 times. Yes that's right, 11 times.

Danzig vs Hughes X10 = Hughes wins 10 times.

Danzig vs GSP X10 = GSP wins 11 times.

Good move going back to 155. But BJ & Sherk & even Joe Daddy will devour him.

Evilmaster, I'm a little scared that you and I both posted the same "11 times" joke at the exact same time. You're not hiding in my backyard again are you?

i don't think he could hang with BJ, Sherk, or Gomi for that matter at 155.

Mac would be a force at 155.

Just another thing that annoys me about the show. Part of the contract should be that you have to fight your first 3 UFC fights at the weight you competed at on the show.

Why does it annoy you? I never understood that complaint.

Damn I forgot all of you guys are such experts. Have you seen Mac train or fight other than what you have seen on the "reality" show?

Mac is a bad ass n' if he continues his ways I can easily see him in the top 10 at 155.

"uh, the second he weighs in at 155lbs for a UFC fight he is in the top ten at 155"

Uh, no. He lost his last fight at 155 to Clay French.

Sherk, Penn, Stevenson, Griffin, Guida, Aurelio, Edgar, Fisher, Tavares, Grice, Florian, Black and Thomas are all guys who would give Mac a serious fight and I would pick most of them to beat him. I think he's a good talent and a nice addition to those names but top ten in the UFC? Not yet.

He'll do very well at 155 in the UFC. He's a tough matchup for anyone.

""but if you put me in with Matt Hughes or Georges St-Pierre ten times, I?m gonna win a number of those times, but realistically, with all skills being the same, those guys are extremely skilled and much bigger than me."

I agree he will win a number of times. That number being 0.

Mac is a good fighter for sure but let's see him take on some top guys before he is being lumped in with the top guys.
He has not exactly faced top competition in his career.
He has beaten some decent guys but nobody even close to elite.
That doesn't mean he won't do well but beating up very whttp://www.mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?FID=1&a=67&TID=0
http://www.mma.tv/tuf/index.cfm?FID=1&a=67&TID=0eak fighters on TUF does not make you top 10.

I wonder why people think he can any of the top guys.
Maybe he can but what is this opinion based on. Which win against which fighter leads people to believe he can beat guys like this.
Also, for "the comish" I have seen him fight several times outside of TUF. He is a good fighter but he has only faced one top guy in Sakurai (who is real good of course) and he was beaten pretty easily.
He has beaten jason ireland and Buddy Clinton who are both decent fighters but nowhere near top guys at the weight.
I was surpsied to see Mac on this season of TUF as I thought he was much better than a lot of the scrubs on the show and I thought he had already earned a shot in the UFC a year ago but I don't see him as a champ at any weight in the near future.

M

"It's not that I can't beat them, but if you put me in with Matt Hughes or Georges St-Pierre ten times, I'm gonna win a number of those times"

^^lol

It's a smart move to make, but he won't be winning a belt at 155 either.

^^^I 2nd that motion

Can't blame him for fighting at 155, he's not big enough for the top 170lb'ers. I think Sierra should be at 155 also.

We'll see. I don't think many people gave Forrest Griffin a chance against Shogun. I certainly didn't. I wish Danzig the best.

Robin.

its impressive hes dominated the show at 15 pounds above his real class

Once again, the show renders itself useless. The goal is to create a star in the weight division FROM THE SHOW. If they wanted/needed more guys at 155, they would've made the show a house full of guys at 155. Fact is, they wanted guys @ 170 and we all know that half the cast is going to drop to 155.
I think that they should be contracted to stay at 170 for a certain number of fights. Don't like it? Wait around for another season of 155lb fighters. I'm sure half of that cast will mysteriously want to go to 145 anyway.
Look back to the heavyweights on the show. How many of those guys are still fighting at 205+ for the UFC? NONE. It made stars of some of the fighters, but it still left that division bone dry.

ttt