Dave Camarillo

Has he made a mistake by appearing on Koscheck's coaching staff for TUF 12 ?

while Jon Danaher has only enhanced his reputation, it can't have done much for Dave Camarillo. I realise he has a much broader role at AKK but surely people question why he'd associate himself with Koscheck

hes kos's jiu jitsu coach

I know that but hard to take many positives from his appearance on this series

It's still putting his name out there, and no publicity is bad publicity.

i didnt watch the series so i dont know, but anyone who knows anything knows dave camarillo is a badass, and a damn good coach.

I really enjoy his bjj/judo style, and like his teaching from what I've seen but I get a real 'arrogant douche jock' vibe off him, even before the TUF show.
Actually I get that off all the AKA guys bar Cain.

I'm sure they're all nice guys, but that's how I feel they come off. Phone Post

I think that's my point- he doesn't come across well in the program whereas Danaher comes across very well both as a person and martial artist. It's enhanced his reputation, and rightly so, but Camarillo's may have suffered to a certain extent.

I met Dave in Miami,at the 1999 Pan Am's.I went up and introduced myself,He was/is a super nice guy,kind of a quiet guy too.The rest of the tournament,when we saw each other,he would always come up and talk to me,like he knew me for years.

At one point he came up and said,"Did you see Nino?" Nino blew through everybody that year,and no,I missed the Blackbelts,because me and two friends left to go eat.They were supposed to have the Blackbelt matches the next day(Sunday),but they decided last minute to go ahead and do them.Crap!!

Have a lot of stories from that Pan Am

I find he comes across as a bit arrogant and shouty/in your face in his public appearances - eg in his recent appearance on The Fightworks Podcast and in his instructional videos. But that may just be his style of public speaking, given BJJWRESTLER's report that he is friendly and quiet in real life.

I am being honest in my assessment of him.I actually saw him the 1st time down there while in line for weighin's,he was off to the side,by his self.Remember thinking,Wow,That's Dave Camarillo,and as well known as he is/was to the BJJ community,thought it kind of odd people were not swarming around him.Like I said,quiet guy.Also,he is a pretty intellectual guy,if you read up on him.I don't agree with some of his politic's,but he is a smart guy

He was a Brownbelt at the time,and was not competing,he had a lower back injury.

BJJWRESTLER - I am being honest in my assessment of him.I actually saw him the 1st time down there while in line for weighin's,he was off to the side,by his self.Remember thinking,Wow,That's Dave Camarillo,and as well known as he is/was to the BJJ community,thought it kind of odd people were not swarming around him.Like I said,quiet guy.Also,he is a pretty intellectual guy,if you read up on him.I don't agree with some of his politic's,but he is a smart guy

What are his politics? I didn't realise he had a public political profile.

Pretty Liberal,from what I gather,What is the Black guy,supposedly killed a cop,lot are celeb's have stood up for him? I know Dave was passionate about that case. Also one of the South American countries,cannot remember which one,he is big time about it.

He has been in quite a few protests

ttt

Screw his politics, he is one of the best BJJ coaches in the game. His integration with judo can almost be considered revolutionary. Other top level BJJ guys have studied judo too, but none of integrated it as seamlessly as he has.

CJJScout - Screw his politics, he is one of the best BJJ coaches in the game. His integration with judo can almost be considered revolutionary. Other top level BJJ guys have studied judo too, but none of integrated it as seamlessly as he has.

I think it has to do with the fact that he started in Judo and was at a high level doing that before going to Bjj.

I trained at AKA for about six months when I was in San Jose for work. He never came across as the jock type. Really nice, really friendly. Bit of a geek at times. Loves Star Wars. Nothing wrong with that.