Dave Meltzer on Seth Petruzelli's Comments

"I will also say, the story he said, I had heard that story long before Seth Petruzelli said it. I believe it to be true, I cannot tell you that is fact. I got nothing against standup fighting, obviously. You wanna do standup fighting, go kick box, there is a sport for you. If you don’t want to still kick, then go box. If you wanna do MMA, then you need to be able to deal with wrestling…. When Tommy Morrison did “MMA” a couple years ago, his opponent was told no takedowns….Those are the rules…Wait a minute, this is boxing…it obvious the guys a  real boxer….then why don’t they just box…"

--Dave Meltzer 

- bloodyelbow.com

werd to bigberd

TTT

Mr_Lombardo - meltzer has proven to be not credible

He did a good job of covering a sport nobody else was paying attention to at a time when you were probably deciding whether a ninja turtle could beat up a power ranger.

what? when has meltzer been anything but credible? like anyone else, he doesn't bat 1000, but he's pretty fucking close.

thefightingsheep - 
He did a good job of covering a sport nobody else was paying attention to at a time when you were probably deciding whether a ninja turtle could beat up a power ranger.

Didn't he get involved with the TUF era or just prior to?

thefightingsheep - 

Nice to see you have no fucking idea of what you are talking about...LOL.

Dave used to mention the UFC in passing back when he was primarily doing his wrestling mailer. That has to go back at least 8 years if not more. I don't think he got seriously involved (ie. Yahoo stories) until maybe 4-5 years ago though.

Mr_Lombardo - when meltzer said

the reason fedro didnt sign with the ufc

was because he didnt want any part of

tim sylvia............then i saw the affliction commercial

he also said wand didnt want any part of chuck and was scared

yea

that guy is credible.............

VOTE FEDRO!!!!!

Trolls in bunches I see. Jimmy Shaker Lombardo needs to tune it down alittle.

MikeD - Didn't he get involved with the TUF era or just prior to?

Meltzer was a UFC judge and was often asked to sit next to celebrities and explain the sport to them back in the SEG days. LOL@him only getting involved "with the TUF era."

EliteXC sold out for an attempt at mainstream popularity....and may have ruined a sport in the process.

Mike Sanders - 
MikeD - Didn't he get involved with the TUF era or just prior to?

Meltzer was a UFC judge and was often asked to sit next to celebrities and explain the sport to them back in the SEG days. LOL@him only getting involved "with the TUF era."

What Mike said.

Meltzer started covering MMA before the UFC even existed. His interest in MMA stemmed from covering the Japanese pro wrestling scene and the implosion of the UWF in 1990. He was there for both the formation of Akiri Maeda's RINGS organization and Mas Funaki's Pancrase organization long before the UFC came into existence.

i think in hand to hand combat,a ninja turtle could beat up a power ranger,but in most part,power ranger has too much firepower going.

Another MMA fan ignorant that his entire sport came from pro wrestling.

Why don't you study how the sport started in Brazil and Japan.

The Gracies original teacher, Mitsuya Maeda, was a pro wrestler touring Brazil.

The sport started in Japan from pro wrestling and without pro wrestlers would have died in its infancy.

NinjaTurtles would use their ninja abilities to lodge throwing stars and those funny 3 pronged knives in power ranger esophagus long before they could use their fire power.

EKPOGI - 

i think in hand to hand combat,a ninja turtle could beat up a power ranger,but in most part,power ranger has too much firepower going.

You, my friend, just proved how much of an idiot you are.  A Power Ranger (whether hand to hand or in a full blown gang fight with weapons) could not beat the Ninja Turtles. 

Point #1:

They are Ninjas.....it's a well known fact that Ninjas are unbeatable.

Point #2:

They are Turtles.  If a Power Ranger felt the need to unleash WMD on them, they would simply "Turtle Up" and deflect any damage with their super hard radioactive shell.

Point #3:

Mr. Lombardo.

You really need to read what Meltzer writes, because he never said anything of the sort.

He never said Silva was scared of Liddell. Show me where he did. But it was Silva who postponed the first date the match was scheduled.

He never said Fedor was scared of Sylvia. He wrote that Fedor's management told UFC they didn't want him to face Sylvia when they were making demands to have full control over who he would face. They probably weren't even scared, although managers are typically far more cautious about million dollar fighters and who they face than the fighters themselves. They just prefered not to fight him first.

Big difference.

Fanboys here who don't know that such things happen on a daily basis in business meetings and believe in the myth of anyone, anywhere, anytime from their heroes got their panties in a bunch.

You really need to read his newsletter weekly or STFU about him because you have no idea.

He's not the only one making stupid comments, though.  Somehow being an MMA fan before there was a show on SpikeTV is synonymous with being a pro-wreslting fan boy.