David Avellan v Xande RibeiroPROPS

what a great fight between both of them in the absolute!!!..... lets hear it for David he did a great job out there this year... couldnt be happier for him. and for Xande winning his weight class! those two were going at it for a long double overtime battle ( i believe it went double over). than David comes back all heart against Drysdale(our new 2007 Openweight champ)and goes score less till the final seconds when Drysdale drives in and trips Dave for the takedown and the winning 2! very impressive win over Marcelo for Drysdale might i add sweet choke. and for Xande finally winning getting that win in his class. and for David for coming off with a good performance this year. couldnt be prouder man.

~James

TTT for David and his performance. Next year he will be a couple hundred of grappling hours better.

Great job and congrats!!!

Definitely the man! :-)

no doubt about it!!!.... he'll be back for sure!!

~James

ttt

David should get the ironman award. 70 minuts of grappling in 4 bouts. but you guys said it. Avellan in 09

I've been fortunate to train with both Marcos and David, and learned a ton.

Congrats from all of us here at CTA Hendersonville, NC.

For sure Mike, couldnt agree any better with you. by the way how was your back treating you during that plane ride..haha...

ttt..for David "Ironman" Avellan...tottally agree with the rest in him being considered a top 5 American grappler!

~James

Avellan is a very sound grappler but his fights were not exactly scintillating. I don't think it's a big coincidence that he had so many matches go into 0-0 overtimes. The most dramatic moment of Saturday was Tarsys Humphries taking his back and choking him out in double overtime.

There's a reason why Marcelo Garcia is a crowd favorite, win or lose.

Tomato Can
Dave is always pushing forward trying to take people down, pass the guard and improve his position. It is not his fault that the jui-jitsu players have come up with a way to nuetralize him. THey cant beat him so they try and drag it out so the judges can try and screw him over. The fight with Tarsys Humphries should have never went to double overtime let alone overtime. all he did was defend dave from chokeing him the whole match and then dave tried to make somthing happen in double overtime and got caught. It is not his fault that most brazillians are butt scooting fags. Im suprised any of them have fabric left on their behinds. dave dominates guys and that is why everyone stalls against him. if the rules were not so retarded in the adcc dave would have steamrolled that whole tournement his weight and the absolute.

Cool to read.

"Tomato Can Dave is always pushing forward trying to take people down, pass the guard and improve his position. It is not his fault that the jui-jitsu players have come up with a way to nuetralize him. THey cant beat him so they try and drag it out so the judges can try and screw him over. The fight with Tarsys Humphries should have never went to double overtime let alone overtime. all he did was defend dave from chokeing him the whole match and then dave tried to make somthing happen in double overtime and got caught. It is not his fault that most brazillians are butt scooting fags. Im suprised any of them have fabric left on their behinds. dave dominates guys and that is why everyone stalls against him. if the rules were not so retarded in the adcc dave would have steamrolled that whole tournement his weight and the absolute."

Ninja, please. I have respect for the guy's skills, but if you think Dave's matches were boring solely because of his opponents you are just deluding yourself. The fact is that Tarsys was the one pushing the action. Dave is a better wrestler than Tarsys and was able to stuff his shots, but he never actually shot himself and took Tarsys down despite multiple opportunities to do so. He was content to let Tarsys initiate, sprawl, and work from there. He never passed guard or came close to any submissions.

Avellan is good but saying the if the rules were different he would have steamrolled the whole tournament is beyond retarded.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Dave has always been a points player. Now there's nothing wrong with that but it's just absurd to say that his opponents are the ones responsible for dragging out the matches.

when was the last time avelon tapped out an opponent in a grappling competition?

i agree blaming his opponents for boring 0-0 matches is silly.

he has skills but he definitely has a rep for being boring.

David Avellan is a great champion and everyone at FFA is super proud of what he accomplished at the tournament. Throughout the years, David has shown an incredible amount of consistency and has a trademark ability to always keep great pressure on his opponents. He trained hard for this event and came in great shape.

It was a definite honor to have him compete and represent FFA and the United States.

Right now David is in Las Vegas with undefeated FFA fighter Ariel Gandulla. Gandulla has a fight this Saturday for the WEC on pay per view.

Big thanks to James for the thread and to everyone for the support.

Sincerely,

Marcos Avellan

hey now guys.. i didnt make this thread for there to me negative talk going on out here.... i made this to give those guys their respect. that's all... and another thing i did not by FAR find any of those matches boring...maybe i am being biased...but i still try to look at things with an open mind and know when something is going well or exciting. so keep the BS out and just give props to these guys. taking on matches aslong as they did and than to continue on a major tournament such as the ADCC deserves such recognition..... those the criticize are just haters.

~James

FaceJam, I got some stories for you, talk to me tomorrow :)

About you being worried on being biased... a lot of the competitors and other black belts there at ADCC had nothing but INCREDIBLE words of praise for my brother. Some black belts and fighters introduced themselves to him just to let him know how great they felt he did. I think it is a great honor to receive such respect from other great competitors who know what it is to put it on the line versus others of international level.

right on Marcos! that's exactly what i've been talkin about respect among others... i look forward to hearing some i remember you mentioning alittle before warm up tonite... but i look forward to hearing all the good stuff that's gone down. i'm gonna try to make it in before my class to get some kinda work out tomorrow before my class.

Yo Mike i noticed the shorts you had today with the purple belt when we were talking about the ADCC. meant to tell ya that their pretty sweety and whered you get them? i was meaning to ask but didnt wanna get called out by Marcos for showing up late..haha

~James

TTT