David Icke removed from Facebook

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52501453

1 Like

As an untreated paranoid schizophrenic who thinks he is the son of God, that's good news. His ramblings belong on CT sites, not facebook where they might be taken seriously.

He is the father of Reptilian theory and many even crazier CTard theories.

He belongs in a mental institution.

9 Likes

blood fist - 

As an untreated paranoid schizophrenic who thinks he is the son of God, that's good news. His ramblings belong on CT sites, not facebook where they might be taken seriously.

I know of him only since the Londonreal ban... and even then I haven't checked up much on him TBH.

But the issue is not if you agree with him or not, if he's a nut or not, but FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Unless he promotes hate and violence, it is a super dangerous slope. If you don't defend freedom of speech, a few years from now it could be real ugly.

And don't give me FB is a private company crap. Cheap cop out with how big they are... and with them basically censoring mostly "right wing" stuff but not left wing loons. I hope all this censoring will give rise to real competition to FB, Youtube, Google, etc.

12 Likes

Sprawl'n'Stall - 
blood fist - 

I know of him only since the Londonreal ban... and even then I haven't checked up much on him TBH.

But the issue is not if you agree with him or not, if he's a nut or not, but FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Unless he promotes hate and violence, it is a super dangerous slope. If you don't defend freedom of speech, a few years from now it could be real ugly.

And don't give me FB is a private company crap. Cheap cop out with how big they are... and with them basically censoring mostly "right wing" stuff but not left wing loons. I hope all this censoring will give rise to real competition to FB, Youtube, Google, etc.

I agree it's a slippery slope. I'm not saying his rights of free speech should be taken away. He can still blast his crazy bullshit from his own website and countless different pulpits.

I just want people to be aware of what he stands for.

2 Likes

I am not defending the removal because i havnt thought about the whole issue in enough detail to weigh the pros and cons.

However, the tech companies have a rationale for their censorship.  Their argument and position is this;  They remove anything which advises on health matters, but contains advice that is counter to the scientific conscenus,  and that could be dangerous.  

So, for example, in Iran 700 people died of alcohol posioning because some rumour claimed drinking some kind of cleaning/antseptic alcohol would heal you of the Covid19 illness.   Facebook argue they are trying to stop this kind of misinformation being spread on their platforms.

Whether it is ultimately a good thing, is another question.

Bloodfist wants to live in a nanny state. What a woman.

5 Likes

"If you don't defend freedom of speech, a few years from now it could be real ugly."

^ If every crazy loon like Icke can blast his anti-science, anti-reality message on every major media outlet....in a few years from now it could be real ugly too.

I truly worry about a time when huge numbers of people are no longer sure what truth, history and science even are because of people like Icke.

1 Like

We need a Ministry Of Truth ASAP or the people will be too confused by this freedom of thought!

4 Likes

Badder Harry - Bloodfist wants to live in a nanny state. What a woman.

You don't know what Conspiracy Theory is, or how much damage it could possibly do to society.

Or you are CTARD yourself and buy into Icke's crazy bullshit.

Badder Harry - We need a Ministry Of Truth ASAP or the people will be too confused by this freedom of thought!

We don't need a ministry of Truth, but society needs some way of protecting itself from this type of paranoid craziness.

Many young, uneducated, gullible people will accept it as fact.

Literally anybody should be able to talk about anything on any major platform in society short of pedophilia.  That goes for anything racist, transphobic, xenophobic, anti-semetic, or reptilian...

5 Likes

DY2 - 

I am not defeding the removal because i havnt thought about the whole issue in enough detail to weigh the pros and cons.

However, the tech companies have a rationale for their censorship.  Their argument and position is this;  They remove anything which advises on health matters, but with advise that is counter to the scientific conscenus,  and that could be dangerous.  

So, for example, in Iran 700 people died of alcohol posioning because some rumour claimed drinking some kind of cleaning/antseptic alcohol would heal you of the Covid19 illness.   Facebook argue they are trying to stop this kind of misinformation being spread on their platforms.

Whether it is ultimately a good thing, is another question.

Censorship always starts for "the good of the people"

Oxycontin and opiods killed so many... and that was all legal. So many grey areas. Bottom line, you want some SJW feminists at Facebook and other places decide for you? That's why it's dangerous. People pushing ideas have many opposing people posting, which allows counterbalance, contrary to a website, etc.

3 Likes

blood fist -
Badder Harry - We need a Ministry Of Truth ASAP or the people will be too confused by this freedom of thought!

We don't need a ministry of Truth, but society needs some way of protecting itself from this type of paranoid craziness.

Many young, uneducated, gullible people will accept it as fact.

Many people took what WHO was telling us as fact as well. How'd that work out?

4 Likes

I just want folks to be aware that we now live in a new media age where ANYBODY can present themselves as an expert on anything with no credentials whatsoever.

We are also entering a potentially dystopic future where media distortions of all kinds thrive, and more and more people won't be sure of basic facts anymore. A modern day Tower of Babel of sorts.

That is all I am saying. I'm not advocating censorship. I'm not advocating ammending the constitution. I've proposed no specific action. I'm just saying there is a real danger of radical historical revisionism, dark-age anti-science nonsense, and huge malicious falsities (such as Ickes') being spread through today's massive media messinging systems.

1 Like

I am pointing out a danger: The Conspiracy Theory Movement (and religion).

Ignore it at your own peril.

garythekid -

Literally anybody should be able to talk about anything on any major platform in society short of pedophilia.  That goes for anything racist, transphobic, xenophobic, anti-semetic, or reptilian...

Facebook can do whatever they fucking want. If you don’t like it, make your own website, and allow all that shit. It’s that easy. 

2 Likes

LostAbroad -
garythekid -

Facebook can do whatever they fucking want. If you don’t like it, make your own website, and allow all that shit. It’s that easy. 

Yes. They can. And they suck for censoring shit. And anybody I know, knows that. I’ve never had an account aside from a bullshit one when tinder required it.  Most people I know don’t use it anymore. 

Sprawl'n'Stall -
blood fist - 

You aren’t defending anything. You’ve already given up with your “promoting hate” caveat.

blood fist -
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
blood fist - As an untreated paranoid schizophrenic who thinks he is the son of God, that's good news. His ramblings belong on CT sites, not facebook where they might be taken seriously.

I agree it's a slippery slope. I'm not saying his rights of free speech should be taken away. He can still blast his crazy bullshit from his own website and countless different pulpits.

I just want people to be aware of what he stands for.

You literally said that you are glad he’s banned from Facebook because he’s suffering from mental illness. Using that logic, why wouldn’t you be glad if his Internet service provider terminated his access completely? ISPs are private companies.

1 Like

blood fist -

"If you don't defend freedom of speech, a few years from now it could be real ugly."

^ If every crazy loon like Icke can blast his anti-science, anti-reality message on every major media outlet....in a few years from now it could be real ugly too.

I truly worry about a time when huge numbers of people are no longer sure what truth, history and science even are because of people like Icke.

We already aren’t because there is an inherent problem with someone deciding what is acceptable health advice. “Scientific consensus” is nearly meaningless in this context. We don’t say “x is the scientific consensus, so let’s hold off on any dissenting opinions.” That is the exact opposite of how science has advanced. 

If you look back even over the past few months to see what was unacceptable to post in March but is now taken as truth it should be obvious that the idea here is more detrimental than allowing potentially bad advice. 

3 Likes