DC: Jones was better than me, Miocic wasn't

During a recent episode of ESPN's “DC & Helwani” podcast, co-host and former champ champ Daniel Cormier addressed his upcoming trilogy fight vs. UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic.

“I’m a better fighter than Stipe Miocic,” said Cormier, as transcribed by Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie “I respect him, I think he’s a great guy, I think he’s a great role model, but I’m better than him. I just want to go prove it. I should’ve never lost to him. That is going to be one of my greatest regrets.

“I lost to Jones, but he was better. Stipe Miocic is not better than me, and that’s going to be something I regret for the rest of my life, is letting him get a victory over me. It should’ve never happened.”

Miocic is at present recovering from an eye injury, and focused on the COVID-19 pandemic, but Cormier is in training, and getting impatient.

“Sign the contract,” said Cormier. “What are you doing?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCCT0iBx_M

He's right. 

4 Likes
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

Did ya see the first fight?

DC did him dirty. Eyepoked the fuck outta him. Then ducked an immediate rematch (to a champ who broke UFC HW records for defenses) to take an easier fight with Derrick.

Stipe pieced him good in the rematch and DCs ego can't stand it. That's why Jones is forever in his head.

14 Likes
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

Agreed 

2 Likes
MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

DC did him dirty. Eyepoked the fuck outta him. Then ducked an immediate rematch (to a champ who broke UFC HW records for defenses) to take an easier fight with Derrick.

Stipe pieced him good in the rematch and DCs ego can't stand it. That's why Jones is forever in his head.

lol what fight did you see? he was winning the 2nd fight extremely strategically until he got caught after not listening to his corner

1 Like
godstriker -
MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

lol what fight did you see? he was winning the 2nd fight extremely strategically until he got caught after not listening to his corner

While the MarcusAurelioGroupie guy is an idiot, DC did not get caught.

DC won the first, then it was about even 2 & 3. In round 4 Stipe made one of the most brilliant mid-fight adjustments and targeted the body. He landed about 20 solid body shots before he hurt DC and then put him away with head shots.

8 Likes
danybayamon23 -
godstriker -
MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

While the MarcusAurelioGroupie guy is an idiot, DC did not get caught.

DC won the first, then it was about even 2 & 3. In round 4 Stipe made one of the most brilliant mid-fight adjustments and targeted the body. He landed about 20 solid body shots before he hurt DC and then put him away with head shots.

Hey...

Guess why Stipe has an eye injury.

Because DC eyepoked him in the second fight too. 

I don't buy DC as a clean guy. He knew what he was doing. There is almost never a consequence for eyepokes so why not do it?

Maybe if he was the bigger man, and admitted he was outgamed - I wouldn't be going hard on him. But his words don't lie. His subconscious is putting it all out there.

2 Likes

Reasonable take imo.

I was glad Stipe won but I thought DC looked the better of the 2 in their last fight. 

1 Like
godstriker -
MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

Got caught? Yeah he got caught by 20 liver shots before getting crumbled. 

6 Likes
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

I agree 

Cormier has become an annoying bitch since after the first Miocic fight. 

6 Likes

DC may be better overall, but he had no answer for Stipe's boxing when he made that adjustment in the fourth and put him away. 

1 Like

Dc lost the fight cause Stipe started hitting him to the body. Cormier wilted from the body shots 

1 Like
MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

Holy fucking biased post.

4 Likes

I fucking love DC but after the Stipe fight I couldn't help but see him a little differently. He's ego was out of control. The fact he wouldn't adjust after Stipe was ripping body shots had me losing my mind. He obviously had an answer but refused to adjust. 

MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

A close decision warrants an immediate rematch. Getting KTFO doesn't, period. 

1 Like

I will always remember DC giving the most honest breakdown on his loss to Jones post fight. Even after being crushed and wanting to cry his analytical mind can't help but be objective. And that's what he's doing here. One of the best fighters ever but maybe the best analyst ever too. That's a skill that helped his career. It never helps to delude yourself.

2 Likes

He's talking like "he got caught" when he actually got beat up (leading up to the tko)

MarcusAurelioFan -
TexDeuce -

He's right. 

Derrick was a last second thing for an injured DC.  You know that young man. 

2 Likes

DC just *forgot* how to defend a body shot is all.