DC: Jones won't T/KO Stipe

Jon Jones gave up his light heavyweight title to test himself at heavyweight. UFC president Dana White said he could start in the division with a title shot, but added emphatically that Francis Ngannou is next in line. However, heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic was unenthusiastic about fighting Ngannou again. So it looks like Jones and Miocic may well fight.

During a recent episode of ESPN's DC & Helwani podcast, Cormier discussed Jones at heavyweight, and the potential Miocic bout.

“If you have that skillset, the skillset that Jon Jones has, doesn’t matter what weight said Cormier. “He will be able to compete. That’s a fact. You can love him, you can hate him, but that’s a fact. 185, Jon Jones can compete. 205, Jon Jones can compete. 265, or whatever the weight is at heavyweight, Jon Jones can compete.

“He will compete against anybody. So for him to go to heavyweight, I don’t know if it’s as risky as people are trying to make it seem. He can fight those guys because I fought those guys. They’re big, they’re strong, they’re dangerous. But he can fight those guys.”

Cormier fought Jones twice, losing the first time by decision, and the second time via head kick TKO at 3:31 of Round 3. The latter bout outcome was changed to a No Contest after Jones tested positive for metabolites of the anabolic steroid Turinabol. In sum, Cormier has an intimate understanding of how hard Jones hits, and he thinks it's not enough to stop Stipe.

“Jones won’t knock him out," said Cormier. "Jones won’t punch him and put him to sleep. It doesn’t matter what he weighs, he does not have that punching power. He doesn’t hit very hard. Kicks hard, but he doesn’t punch very hard.

“[Stipe] knows that if he goes and fights Jones - which would be very competitive, very good fight - it would be either him knocking Jones out, or it would be a decision. Because Jones won’t knock him out.”

Thanks to the UFC’s generosity, Jones may be looking at an immediate title shot for his heavyweight debut.

https://youtu.be/s60kEzjWzz0?t=163

h/t Milan Ordoñez for BE

Lol Only says his kicks hard cause of his tko loss to him. Shits funny 

Swamp Donkey -

He was kicking his body pretty hard in that fight if I recall. 

Jones knows white stuff hits hard, he's been preparing for awhile.

Jons will find a way to beat Stipe and he will make it look easy. Either by descion or stoppage

1 Like
Swamp Donkey -

Jesus christ. Who have you fought big ball??

Jones tends to always imitate his opponents a bit. So I guess he will be disciplined and strike from the outside.

Stipe is so hittable it won't look competitive

Jon Jones always shows up to big fights, a motivated Jones is scary. He always looks like shit against no name fighters. I expect the best Jones ever at heavyweight. 

Let me get this straight:

UG has decided Amanda Nunes can beat a 250lb man BUT Jon Jones would have difficulty KO'ing a man about 20 lbs heavier than him?

On a SideNote - 

UG has decided Amanda Nunes can beat a 250lb man BUT Jon Jones would have difficulty KO'ing a man about 20 lbs heavier than him?

Stipe probably won’t be much heavier than Jon. Stipe weighed 233 against DC last month. Gus weighed 240 when he fought Werdum, and he certainly wasn’t as cut up as he usually is, but I don’t expect Jon to be either. He’ll be in very good shape, will probably have a similar body fat % to what Stipe had when he was 233, which isn’t nearly as low as what Jon usually is when he has to make 205.

I’d guess Jon comes in around 235, and looks great on the scale, and I think he beats Stipe because he’s a hard guy to hit clean, and even when he does get hit, he has one of the best chins in MMA. Look at how many brutal punchers he’s faced, and when have we seen Jon hurt in a fight? I’m not talking about when has he taken damage…I’m saying when was he ever rocked, staggered, dropped etc? We saw him hit the ground from an off balance punch to the chest Reyes hit him with, but when has Jon ever been punched in the face and hurt? Fucking never. That’s crazy. We’ve seen Khabib hurt momentarily in fights, but we’ve never even seen Jon rocked.

I assume it’ll be a good fight, but Jon wins a UD.

Jones will beat Stipe, he has more height and reach than some heavyweights already, he wont be drained from cutting, and Stipe gets tagged a lot.

It's a really good fight to make, but Francis could ruin it, he always has a punchers chance to KO anyone.

Mjump05 -

Jon Jones always shows up to big fights, a motivated Jones is scary. He always looks like shit against no name fighters. I expect the best Jones ever at heavyweight. 

Jones vs Stipe is going to be amazing.

colubrid1 - Jons will find a way to beat Stipe and he will make it look easy. Either by descion or stoppage

I agree. He’s quite a bit better than DC and DC would’ve beaten Stipe 3 times if he had any cardio. 

Rickmassmma - 
On a SideNote - 

Stipe probably won’t be much heavier than Jon. Stipe weighed 233 against DC last month. Gus weighed 240 when he fought Werdum, and he certainly wasn’t as cut up as he usually is, but I don’t expect Jon to be either. He’ll be in very good shape, will probably have a similar body fat % to what Stipe had when he was 233, which isn’t nearly as low as what Jon usually is when he has to make 205.

I’d guess Jon comes in around 235, and looks great on the scale, and I think he beats Stipe because he’s a hard guy to hit clean, and even when he does get hit, he has one of the best chins in MMA. Look at how many brutal punchers he’s faced, and when have we seen Jon hurt in a fight? I’m not talking about when has he taken damage…I’m saying when was he ever rocked, staggered, dropped etc? We saw him hit the ground from an off balance punch to the chest Reyes hit him with, but when has Jon ever been punched in the face and hurt? Fucking never. That’s crazy. We’ve seen Khabib hurt momentarily in fights, but we’ve never even seen Jon rocked.

I agree.

Rickmassmma -
On a SideNote - 

good post

I am of the opinion that Jones only shows up for fighters whom he considers “worthy adversaries.” The Jon Jones who fought DC is better than any fighter to ever walk the planet, probably. The guy who fought Dom Reyes was not.

Stipe Miocic is a worthy adversary. I’m not saying Jon Jones will finish him. I’m just saying that the Jones who shows up is very likely one hell of a fighter.