DC perturbed by Aljo Sterling getting massive boos in New Jersey

It does say something to his likability that even in basically his own backyard not only was the crowd doing “Let’s go Henry” chants loudly, but the massive boos against him were also very loud. That’s got to make him feel like shit.

1 Like

I don’t like Aljo but even I was surprised he was getting boo’d there and they were cheering so much for Henry

7 Likes

The guy literally mimics Jon Jones, surprised DC doesn’t fucking hate him too.

11 Likes

I noticed this and was shocked also and I follow mma close enough to understand hes disliked but damn that close to your home state…you would think that must have hurt.

5 Likes

The Yan DQ was 2 years ago. And somehow Yan is beloved even though he threw the knee.

4 Likes

Most people don’t like him because most of us find it hard to consider him the true champion

You shouldn’t be declared the new champion based off a DQ. Whether it was an illegal knee or not, it either KO’d Aljo which means he lost or he didn’t get knocked out and acted his way out of the fight which is taking the easy way out

After the fight he pretended like he was mad and disappointed about how it ended. But when he got home he started posting photos of himself with the belt. It was an awful look

9 Likes

His goofy Emmy award winning performance to game the system and win the fight turned off a ton of people.

He also seems to be just barely holding onto the belt. Super close decisions, split decisions, faking injuries, and beating a one armed man who had no intention to win the fight.

13 Likes

The whole DQ thing was retarded, but people forgot Yan threw the knee. Then Aljo proved he was better in the 2nd fight while Yan went on to a losing streak. He beat Dillashaw, not his fault TJ was injured. He beat Cejudo. He’s the champ, and by the time everyone recognizes it, he will probably lose.

6 Likes

The 2nd Yan fight wasn’t close, Yan had absolutely nothing for him. That’s not his fault TJ was injured. So what? Close fights happen. He’s the best guy in the division, that’s why he’s the champ.

Imo the crowd thought it was a robbery, the only reason Aljo won was because a judge gifted him the 5th round, so yeah… a robbery.

1 Like

Yan 1 4 5

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

3 Likes

The dude is good, VERY good. But damn, he won the belt by DQ, had split decision wins against Yan and Cejudo that could very much have gone the other way, beat a broken TJ… yet he acts like he is the best champ ever. That’s why he is disliked. A convincing win and being more active would do him good… or just playing up the villain.

6 Likes

How does he act like he’s the best champ ever? I’m not seeing it.

I remember in the old days of MMA people used to love the bravado, machismo, trash talk, etc…. Dudes legitimately hated each other and fought out of anger. People here loved it.

Sad to see that now trash talk and posturing is seen as a bad thing.

Let’s see.

Was gifted a championship in a fight he was getting his ass kicked

Lost the rematch imo

Beat an injured guy that shouldn’t have fought

Squeeked by a guy from a lower weight class who had a three year lay off while really having no great moments in the fight

8 Likes

^^^ what about guys that have records that are 32-16? Do you hate them too when they fight injured guys, win close fights and via DQ?

Yes

1 Like

Yeah, I agree, but back then you had fighters like Tank Abbott, Tito Ortiz, etc,. who talked shit, but also were beating other fighters down, while in this instance, it’s more of Aljo (as it’s been stated) bragging/boasting directly after he “won” the title by DQ, regardless of the knee, Aljo absolutely wanted out of that fight and put on an acting performance that he was seriously hurt/dazed.

Then he acted and claimed that he didn’t want to win that way, putting on a show of dropping the belt (if I recall correctly), then went online bragging/boasting that he’s this awesome champ (the equivalent of posting up a BJJ medal that you won by default, because you’re the only one who showed up in your bracket).

Plus all this “GOAT” talk, after a few fights. It comes off as absurd and makes him very unlikable. Had he taken the humble rout and toned down his persona, fans would probably have accepted him more.

Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Who said TJ’s arm was his fault? Nobody.

It doesn’t change the fact he has hung onto his belt by a thin thread.

Fake Emmy performance after getting his ass kicked, controversial split decisions, and a one armed man that showed up for a paycheck and couldn’t fight.

One of the least dominant runs in history for someone with multiple title defenses.

4 Likes

Yup. And that is why this “GOAT” talk regarding him at this moment is ridiculous.

1 Like