DC's status if not fighting in the JBJ era?

Black Fedor (by the way, DC has said he loves this nickname - afterall he isn't a PC douche that needs to find something racist or wrong about everything) has defeated everyone he has ever fought at HW & LHW except for JBJ, who he went the distance with.

I like DC. I know others don't, and that's fine - everyone is entitled to their own opinion of every fighter.

But I do think he doesn't get even close to the amount of respect for what he has accomplished in the sport. I think it is in large part because he happens to be competing in the JBJ era (at least when JBJ is around to fight) and lost to him.

Whether you like him or not, isn't it fair to say the guy doesn't receive near the amount of credit he deserves? I mean, he has won the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix, along w/ the UFC LHW belt and defended it multiple times. He has dominated the most feared striker (AJ) in the UFC twice, beat Gus, and threw Josh Barnett around at HW.

I think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Whether or not you like him.

he'd be undefeated, so certainly in the goat discussion

Me and my brother discuss this all the time. He'd be known as the best light heavy of all time without Jones. Also, I think he could move back up and win the belt at HW as well. One of the best of his generation for sure. Too bad he got such a late start in MMA.

Greystoke -

Me and my brother discuss this all the time. He'd be known as the best light heavy of all time without Jones. Also, I think he could move back up and win the belt at HW as well. One of the best of his generation for sure. Too bad he got such a late start in MMA.

Yep

TexDeuce - 
Greystoke -

Yep

Good point. Didn't have his first MMA fight until he was 30 1/2 years old. He's 38 now, and says his age is starting to effect his ability to make weight.

He might be 39, going on 40, by the time him and JBJ finally have their rematch. Not good for DC. He'll be in his twilight, while Jones will be in his prime. But few will likely bother to take that into account.

Love me some Black Fedor!

Greystoke -

Good post

Excellent fighter.  Shit attitude.  That's why people don't like him.  

Bones is gonna beat that ass again.  

PS I think that a decent amount of UFC Heavyweights would beat him also. 

Stipe,JDS, Werdum, Cain etc. 

NBKfanforlife - 

He seems to have a decent attitude for all the horrible shit that he has been through.

NBKfanforlife - 

His attitude is weird. He's a great coach, teammate and really awesome with kids and fans.

But then he contradicts his character with out of character statements. He was the good guy, but now he's almost playing the role of bad guy.

I don't think he beats Jones, but I don't think any human on Earth does at 205 lbs. 

DC in an era without Jones and Cain would be considered GOAT

Fabes -
NBKfanforlife - 

His attitude is weird. He's a great coach, teammate and really awesome with kids and fans.

But then he contradicts his character with out of character statements. He was the good guy, but now he's almost playing the role of bad guy.

I don't think he beats Jones, but I don't think any human on Earth does at 205 lbs. 

He is trying to embrace the role fans seem to want him in. It's for show. I cant blame him for giving in he will make more money because of it.

The Jones fight is such a thorn.

I actually think he would be ahead of Jones in terms of legacy & Goat status due to his stint at HW, winning a major HW Tournament and then also being a strong LHW champ.

Sadly if DC hadn't been injured when Jones fought OSP I think DC would have beat Jones that night and really changed everyone's perspective.

With a guy as competitive as DC it must have drove him crazy.

He should definitely go for the HW belt win or lose to Jones

Stipe is beatable to him imo, as is JDS seeing how he can do the same gameplan Cain used twice, plus he obviously trains with the guy who beat JDS twice.

What hurts him is he isn't truly the #1 guy at LHW (and I like DC but keeping it real for legacy sake)

Also the Silva fight left a bad impression on many fans too

He is definitely in the GOAT discussion seeing how accomplished he is in a short amount of time and as I said he can definitely win a second belt at HW