DDO now FREE

“Dungeons and Dragons OnLine” Now Free

dungeons_and_dragons_online_stormreach_boxThe popular multiplayer online game Dungeons & Dragons Online has been given a reboot, reports Wired.

The new version of the game, launched yesterday, is available for players to download and play free of charge.

What’s the catch? you ask.

Well, if you want to upgrade your items and content, you can purchase them a la carte from the DDO store, or to subscribe for unlimited access to the game’s content.

Originally released in 2006 as Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach, the game has received a digital upgrade and been renamed Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited.

“Today, Turbine changes the way gamers experience their online entertainment by providing them with a choice in how they pay and play for a premium MMO,” said Turbine CEO Jim Crowley in a press release.

The updated content includes a new class, an increased level cap (up to 96), a new 12-player raid, new adventure packs and “major combat improvements” to the game’s real-time combat, according to the company. Turbine says the game is “easier than ever” and that “creating a new character is incredibly simple with guides and templates that speed you through the process.”

You can download the game HERE.

they'd have to pay me to get me to play that garbage

I've been playing it the last few days, it's certainly not garbage but it's not great either.

It's actually much more fast paced than I anticipated, I've been having fun with it and from what I've seen, it's actually free without limiting you too much. Sure a few classes, races and areas are pay only but it's certainly worth downloading and trying out.

It's decent. The animations are sometimes a little quirky, but it looks decent. Fun enough for free. The pricing scheme is clever, buy things as you need them or subscribe to get them all.

Damn double post

For free... it's well worth the price...especially for the crowd that either loves D&D or dislikes some of the less pleasant parts of WoW.

I"m not big on MMO's but if I was going to start playing them again, I'd play one that wouldn't cost me anything.

It's actually holding my attention for now, which is pretty rare. I really like the character planning aspect of it. Each character is not the same, you really need to know what you are doing to create a decent toon. Unlike the vast majority of MMOs where in essence, every Warrior is the same except for a few basic skills.

I haven't played DDO yet but for DnD rules in general there is a tremendous amount of player customization in my experience. Things like multi-classing can give some interesting possibilities.

Is it possible to play solo, or is it heavily party based?

At least early in the game, you can solo pretty well depending on class. I've had no problems doing every quest solo as a cleric or barbarian. Not sure how long that will last though. Each dungeon has 4 difficulty levels: solo, normal, hard and elite. So they try to cater to people who enjoy just doing quests alone and soloing, however some classes are just difficult to solo with.

Solo is doable but won't get you though everthing.

If you specifically build a class (at least in the old game) you could scout out and run through some missions built for groups.