De La Hoya - $50 million richer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-boxing10may10,1,6500705.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&track=crosspromo

"Counting his share of the pay-per-view, live gate, closed-circuit showings and merchandising, De La Hoya's total purse, according to two sources, will exceed $50 million.

Mayweather's take is expected to be $20 million"

dreams of the day mma champs earn millions per fight

And who said Oscar lost?????

Some of the top MMA champs in the UFC make well over a million per fight.

The fact that Mayweather will actually make $20 million is staggering in itself.

BY FAR his biggest payday ever. He has made millions before, but has never remotely approached a figure like that and I'm pretty sure he has never reached eight figures before. And how many other far more popular fighters have never achieved such a payday?

He should give thanks to Oscar everyday for the rest of his life.

Oscar is an industry unto himself.

If those numbers are true... wow.

well I'm pretty sure every athletes salary is always listed before taxes, managers cut, etc. So if Bonds makes $25 million a year, that is before taxes, his agent, manager, etc. Same with Oscar.

Oscar is a great boxer and a very smart businessman. Good for him. He earned it all on his own blood, sweat and tears.

"And how many other far more popular fighters have never achieved such a payday?"

Tyson, Holyfield and Bowe had multiple $20 million plus payouts during there prime. Oscar paid Roach $500,000. It was $500,000 and double if he won. Tyson is the only athlete in history to make over $100 million in one year with no endorsements.

what year did Tyson make over $100 million? 1996? He had three fights that year against Bruno, Seldon, and Holyfield and probably made $30 million each. That is still only $90 million(lol @ ONLY $90 million). Unless you mean in a one year period from say September 1996 to September 1997, and then you're right, he probably did clear $100 million in that time period.

Tyson in his prime made way more than Jordan or any other athlete of his day. Still, he never came close to making $50 million for one fight like Oscar just did. Biggest reason for that is that he was promoted by King, who took about $20 million a fight for himself. Oscar is running his own show. If Tyson had half a brain he would have been doing the same shit once he got out of jail in 1995.

Oscar is closing in on Tyson for title of Boxing's richest ever thanks to his promotional efforts on top of his fight purses. I think he is around the $500 million mark, Tyson was 545.

Nice pay day!

Tiger Woods is #1 across the board, the last 4 years he has made over $85 million or more in each year. Jordan is retired and still makes $32 million a year in endorsments

"Oscar is closing in on Tyson for title of Boxing's richest ever thanks to his promotional efforts on top of his fight purses. I think he is around the $500 million mark, Tyson was 545"

Oscar has officially surpassed Tyson after this fight. The total revenue of his PPV fights is now at $612 million and 12.6 million total buys.

Tyson's career PPV revenue is at $545 million with 12.4 million total buys.

^ So..The Golden Boy goes down in the books as the richest boxer ever to fight?...Cause I really don't see anyone being able to beat him (Cash Wise) in the future with the way boxing is crumbling...Fitting moniker for the Golden Boy imo.

Havokk 15, you say Tyson never made close to what Oscar made for this fight..I think 30 million 10 years ago would have been worth more than 50 million now.

Good info, havokk.

I honestly thought I'd never see the day when anyone would surpass Tyson in earnings or PPV buys, either for one fight or a whole career.

The fact that DLH has never fought at over 160 lbs. makes it even more remarkable.

"The fact that DLH has never fought at over 160 lbs. makes it even more remarkable."

Yes but also keep in mind Tyson could fight scrubs and draw over 1 million ppv buys, all of Oscar's big draws were mega fights.

"all of Oscar's big draws were mega fights"

• Most of which HE sold. He was always either the bigger draw, or sometimes even the only real mainstream draw. They were mega-fights built on primarily his name. Just like Tyson's.

Mayweather and Hopkins were P4P bests, Ring Magazine Champs, and all-time greats, but they never made nearly as much until Oscar did them the favor of agreeing to fight.

Getting a fight with DLH was like winning the lottery, much as it was with Tyson.

Tyson and DLH have been the preeminent brand names in PPV history. By far.

Oscar has now made over 500 million in his career.

KenP makes his fighters anywhere between $400 - $4,000 a fight. KenP get's 10-20% of the pie.