De La Hoya deserves an Oscar!

"LOL! I'm having a lot of fun at the expense of all the Oscar jockriders acting personally insulted. "

Wrong. I am a Hopkins jockrider and call bullshit when I see it. I won $420.00 by BETTING on Hopkins to KO Oscar...not win...to KO.

"You are correct about the liver contour but it is protected on the side by the ribs,which is where Hopkins punched Oscar."

Yes, but the ribs to protect THEMSELVES from breaking, flex on impact. Being rigid, they would break on impact, by flexing they can take a greater impact w/o breaking (up to a point). That flexibility allows a penetration of "energy" ino the organs...the lungs, liver, etc.

"My point is in order to attack the liver most effectively you punch it in front of the body were it is protected only by the abdominals not bone. "

You may be right about most effectively, but if "less" effective gets the KO (as BH did) then it's obviously not that less effective. Less or most effective is a mot issue, effective PERIOD what's important.

"Nard hit Oscar in the floating ribs."

Hitting bone, if they don't break wouldn't drop a man. It's the trauma to the organs that does it. There is viscera behind those ribs.

De la Hoya calls it a liver shot:

“On that Liver shot, it’s not how hard they hit you, but it takes your breath away, You are stuck, you want to get up and you can’t, It was the perfect body punch. He’s a smart fighter. I give him all the credit in the world... a great fighter who has beaten lots of very good fighters.”

I stand corrected. Unlike the Liddel "thumb" I'll take his word.

OK, Ausgepicht, Your Pejoratives aside, You concede that a shot to the ribs is less effective than a shot to the ribs, I never contended De La Hoya was not hurt, Only that he wasn't hit in the Liver.

I've been watching boxing for more than twenty years (Which in no way makes me an authority just a seasoned viewer)and to the best of my recollection other than the previously Mentioned Jones VS Hill fight I've never seen anybody be KO'd by a shot to the ribs. The difference here being that both Oscar and Hopkins have been quoted as saying it was a liver shot.

My Opinion is just that, an Opinion by which I seek to entertain myself and sometimes others. I expected heated disagreement, what I laugh at is ad hominem arguments which lend nothing to the credibility of your argument and in fact detract from it. Alas this Immature mentality is the standard whenever somebody puts up a viewpoint that doesn't sit well with the majority on any of the UG-OG Forums.

"Your Pejoratives aside, "

Bro, I am not disparaging you at all. I thought we were disagreeing, but discussing in a mature manner. Don't read into the text too much, because I really don't mean it that way.

"I've been watching boxing for more than twenty years (Which in no way makes me an authority just a seasoned viewer)and to the best of my recollection other than the previously Mentioned Jones VS Hill fight I've never seen anybody be KO'd by a shot to the ribs. "

I have been watching just as long if not longer, and I have seen it countless times. Very rarely in the "big" fights, but as Robert mentioned: Gatti vs. Dorin and RJJ vs. Hill are big fights that come to mind right away. I've seen Mickey Ward do it twice. Ricky Hatton once (probably more....haven't seen all of his fights).

"I expected heated disagreement, what I laugh at is ad hominem arguments which lend nothing to the credibility of your argument and in fact detract from it."

PLEASE copy and paste where I attacked your person?

"Alas this Immature mentality is the standard whenever somebody puts up a viewpoint that doesn't sit well with the majority on any of the UG-OG Forums."

Immature mentality is what you call when someone disagrees with you? I think you are getting too much out of the dry text.

Trust me, I have been far more "immature" and have no problem w/ trolling and attacking people "ad hominem" as I do it for fun on the OG, but I thought we were having a civil discussion here.

I still think we are.

All the best,
Joe

"bullshit" requires a bullshitter does it not? "please move to the "What If?" or African forum."

Perhaps my Words should have been directed more At Cockneyblue. I too have seen one of those the Mickey Ward Fights, The one where he was getting outboxed by that Mexican fighter I thought that shot was a kidney punch... And the Recent Gatti VS Dorin fight was clearly a shot to the abdominals/Liver which is the preferred target when throwing a left hook to the body.

I'm not attempting to convince anyone I'm just stating why I believe that De La hoya was unnable to continue.
You'd think I insulted the Pope or something.

""please move to the "What If?" or African forum." "

C'mon, you didn't find that funny? Geez. I guess, I'm not as funny as I think I am in my own mind. I thought I was Steven Wright, but I guess I'm really Carrot Top!!!

Nontheless, it certainly wasn't an attack on you!!!

"Much stupider things have been said on this forum. "

I'm not so sure bout that...

"It's the trauma to the organs that does it. There is viscera behind those ribs."

Not to be too picky but I think the real reason the "liver punch" is so nasty is that it compresses your ribs and liver into your diaphragm, which is what actually causes the breathlessness, etc.

I hate that fucking punch when I take it, but i looooove landing it on someone. Even sparring lightly it can drop a guy who is overextended.

"Not to be too picky but I think the real reason the "liver punch" is so nasty is that it compresses your ribs and liver into your diaphragm, which is what actually causes the breathlessness, etc. "

Bang. You just nailed it on the head.

It's my understanding that a liver punch cause bile to squirt into the stomach and that's why it's so painful.

Please tell me that's a joke.

Even respected Boxing sage Emanuel Steward initially held the same doubts I've expressed and Steward is hardly a "dork". Upon his review of the fight he recanted and no longer holds that opinion.

Upon my review of the fight Oscar was covering up when he was hit and not in the process of throwing a punch. From a different angle it appears there was more on the punch than it first apeared. Emmanuel Steward summed it up the best when he stated no one knows for certain how a body contorts when it is punched. I wasn't there,I didn't feel the punch and I wasn't in De La Hoya's head. Only Oscar knows for absolutely certain wheter he could continue.

I stand by my opinion that Oscar, the consumate boxer coudn't deal with the fact that Hopkins
the bigger stronger yet suposedly lesser fighter outboxed the smarter supposedly faster boxer and De la Hoya intellegently stayed down rather than risk a serious beating for three more rounds.

Shakes head

The liver is a pretty large organ, just check out any anatomy book to see it's size and the area it extends over.

It's not like it's the size of an eyeball or something.

High on the ribcage?

No. You/he should have watched the fight.

Is Oscar's body hollow? It's possible to punch the ribs and not affect anything else?

It's so illogical that you/he is either the dumbest person on the face of the earth, maybe the Universe or a blatant troll job.

While only Hopkins knows how hard the punch was and how good it landed, only Oscar knows whether he could get up or not.

Using odd reasoning doesn't make it true. Funny how most of the naysayers are non-Boxers or those who have never been hit in the liver. Rip open a new can of Slim Jims and Pringles and your Diet Mountain Dew and enjoy!

My guess is that you've only started watching boxing recently.