deadlift form

I really want to start doing deadlifts. Does anybody know where I can get a jpeg/mpeg (whatever one is the motion stream) that shows correct form.

I have read plenty of directions but still find it a bit fuzzy - with general pointers instead of bona fide rules. I am anal about accurate rules of form because I had a prolapsed disc in my back a few years ago and apart from being excruciating it kept me out of training for months.

On a side point. What do people deadlift? I know this can't be answered exactly but I just want to make sure I'm the right ball park. I weigh 195lb and have a relatively strong back e.g. 100kg cable rows, pull ups etc.

Any advice is appreciated as I'm the dark.

www.crossfit.com has mpegs of most weight exercises. I read an article on these last week but forget whereabouts, some points I got out of this were:

• keep your shoulders relaxed at the bottom of the movement - this is something I had not been doing despite deadlifting for aobut 5 years...

• don't bend your knees/crouch excessively at the start of the lift - have a look at the start position on the pics that are (hopefully) at crossfit, it's a pull not a squat.

• fill your stomach/lower abodomen with air before commencing the pull, as it adds stability to the spine. You may already do this with squats.

• use an over/under hand grip to prevent the bar rolling.

Some other points I recommend:

• train in sets of singles. I've always done this, but read an article from the westside camp explaining that the deadlift builds/is a test of starting strength, and by training with reps you may start using a 'bounce' at the bottom position, which develops reactive strength, (I think, I get confused easily).

• remember this rhyme: "when my eye ball goes a pop, it's a time to stop".

• remember this rhyme: "my stomachs just squelched out my ass, best make that rep my last".

Happy deadlifting.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=164

Vid link at the top.

I love those rhymes Juninho.

I use a double overhand hook grip.

It's hard as hell on the thumbs but it's a good grip.

My only worry is whether or not it will hold up in the higher poundages.

Crunion check out www.Elitefts.com and www.T-nation.com for deadlift articles.

thats the ticket

thanks.

The guy in that video seems to have his shoulders pretty far forward. I try to keep my shoulders behind the bar, although I have to squat a bit lower to do so.

Should I be bringing my hips up higher, even though that'll make my shoulders go over the bar?

Mule, plenty of powerlifters hook grip in competition; I'm guessing you'll be fine even at big poundages.

My grip is less weak than the rest of me, so I always do them double-overhand without a hook.

I try to keep my shoulders further back than the guy in the video in general.

I've also been experimenting recently with getting my hips really low and using almost a squat movement to start the deadlift as a squat replacement.

-Gary

the guy in the bsu video seems to be doing most of the work with his arms. when i deadlift, i drive with my legs & my arms just hold the bar.

baltz - i tend to do the same thing and I wasn't sure if that was right. Still trying to get my head round the physiology of the deadlift (push vs pull)?

405??? Is that the norm?

I need to cowboy the fuck up.

405??? Is that the norm?

Once you get the form down, a deadlift of twice your bodyweight isn't that uncommon...the best in the world are deadlifting 4 times bodyweight.

The deadlift is one of the best tests of all-around power. I have found that...

An average man with minimal training should be able to lift between 100% and 150% of his bodyweight.

Individuals with above-average strength and a year or two of solid training should be deadlifting two to 2.5 times bodyweight.

Only serious lifters, the very strong, and those with advantageous origin & insertion points will be able to achieve much more than 2.5x bodyweight.

To compete at low to mid-level powerlifting meets, 3x bodyweight is a good goal. You'll have to do a little better than this at National-level meets.

Four times bodyweight is TRULY elite.

Going to half to work on nailing the form first before I extend myself - back is a bit tempramental

"On a side point. What do people deadlift? I know this can't be answered exactly but I just want to make sure I'm the right ball park."

It really doenst matter what others deadlift. What matters is you are doing them and trying to improve.....its whatever works for you. Test yourself, see where you're at, set a goal and timeline of when you want to be there, when you get there, set a new goal and time etc etc. remember this will take time, years in fact. People who figure they "should" be lifting a certain weight based on what others are saying or doing are setting themselves up for failure, frustration and possible injury from doing too much too soon. Forget ego's and testosterone and just lift and improve..........everyone is different and some are genetically gifted, some are not. The point is you are training...and that's always a good thing.

shooter 34 -
I agree completely, though it probably didn't come across that way. The gym I use nobody even does deadlifts therefore any info or guide I get is from the UG. I have been training properly for about a decade but I got a back injury a few years back.

Being out of training for so long was the most miserable experience I've been through. So I have relatively neglected back work that could become bad if not done perfectly. I haven't pushed myself yet until I get the form perfected, therefore I have no idea what my goal should be. That simple guide of 'your own body weight' is actually very helpfull to me believe it or not. I intend to work my way up to 90kg and then see what happens

thanks for all the advice

Crunion speaking from experience comparing your personal bests to most of the guys on here is a very humbling experience.

But when you think you are the biggest puss on the forum you'll see that you are much stronger or just train alot harder than most of the folks at your health club then you'll realize that most of the guys on here are not mere mortals.

Overall I'm stronger and more athletic than most of the guys at the gym I lift at regularly and yet I'm one of the weakest on here.

It keeps the ego in check and that is a good thing as long as you don't let these monsters discourage you.

Good luck my man.

Managed 3 sets of my own body weight fairly easily, so I should be able to crank it up to 1.5 in a few months.

What is the norm rep range? 12-20 like the squat?

Mule- actually I need the humbling experience to increase my drive. E.g. when I lived in Ireland nobody worked out and I was king of the gym, then went to England and there was a much bigger training ethos. After a few years again I would consider myself one of the best conditioned in the gym. The thing is it does go to your head. Being taken down a peg or two is what I need to keep giving 100%. I would rather compare myself to the elite than be a big fish in a small pond.

re rep range, it depends really what you want to achieve. Westside barbell club - a powerlifting club - recommend only ever training singles, (not necessarily at max weight however) as repping with them doesn't reflect what you do in competition. However, I guess if you are doing them for their sporting/mma carry over then doing reps may better suit your needs.

Your lifting the same as me and I'm 50lbs heavier -

keep the shame coming!

In the past, at a bodyweight around 170, I did 305 for 8 consecutive
singles. And I'm pretty weak compared to most on here.

Greg

405lbs x 4 reps @ 165lbs bodyweight when I was lifting next to one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

She was not impressed(: